Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default 2 Questions that I have always wondered...

1) Why, WHY can't pediatricians not just prescribe zofran for any stomach virus? Why do they only give it out when things get so bad and the child gets so dehydrated? Why must kids have to suffer through hours of being sick when there is medicine out there that can help stop it? It seriously makes me angry. Why can't there be something that's sold over the counter that is effective? I really think my fear - I mean my every day panic of sending my kids to school, my obsessive hand washing with them, contstantly drilling them about washing their hands, keeping their hands out of their mouths, worrying about what kids they're playing with and when they were sick last...wouldn't be as extreme if I knew I had medicine that would ease the severity of a stomach virus. I think I could cope better if they only had to v* 1 or 2 times, instead of the way it was this last time...I'm thinking about talking to their doctor and asking what's worse. Prescribing this medicine for me to have on hand or passing on this insane anxiety to my children, that will completely impact their every day quality of life.

2) Why do stomach viruses spread more in the winter? It's not the cold, right? So it may be that people are confined indoors near each other, which is the "best" theory I've heard. So why do they seem to spread just as bad in warm weather areas, areas where they can still be outside all winter? I seriously want to move to a place where the weather is nice all of the time. I think it would help this winter depression and insanity that lasts 6 months out of the year. If there was a place that was safer, I would go in a heartbeat!

When is that vaccine going to be out?? I think that's my only hope to bring the anxiety level down a little.

Default Re: 2 Questions that I have always wondered...

Omg, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I feel exactly the same. I used to only be worried when there was an SV going around but now it's every day, and every night it feels like someone is coming down with it. How old are your children?
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by Mamafear View Post
    Omg, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! I feel exactly the same. I used to only be worried when there was an SV going around but now it's every day, and every night it feels like someone is coming down with it. How old are your children?
    Hi Mamafear,
    I have 5 year old twins. How about you? I've contemplated having more, but after this last round of illness I am absolutely sure I can't handle anymore kids. I'm scared of the ones that I have! How sad is that? I hate it.

1) Doctors believe that vomiting is good for you and that preventing it is bad. They only give antiemetics when they figure out that the vomiting isn't good for anything or the patient insists on having the antiemetic.

2) People are indoors more in the winter and the virus spreads easily from person to person indoors.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    1) Doctors believe that vomiting is good for you and that preventing it is bad. They only give antiemetics when they figure out that the vomiting isn't good for anything or the patient insists on having the antiemetic.

2) People are indoors more in the winter and the virus spreads easily from person to person indoors.
    1) When are they going to figure out that they are WRONG!! How many people hold back from v*ing when sick, and we get better just as fast (if not faster) because we aren't as dehydrated. Grrr...

2) What about people in warm weather climates? Is it just that it gets spread from people in cold weather climates from people traveling?

Dmt, COMPLETELY agree with your last comment!. We have four chilldren, aged 13, 11,8 and 4. My emet only introduced itself just after our 4th was born. If I'd had it when I only had one, well, I'd only have one!. I'm terrified of the younger two at night, but the older two are fine. It's such a disabling fear huh!. My husband comes home tomorrow after two weeks away and I've barely slept. I would give away two limbs to be noormal again. I wouldn't commit suicide because it would harm my babies but it occasionally pops up unbidden as an option. I'm saddened by how many people live in fear!
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Agreeing with everything you have said. I dont get that other people just think we sound irrational - when surely we are the rational ones? Dehydration is so bad, and I would hate to have to drive the 45 min to a hospital with a dehydrated kid, and my husband who is a diabetic and harder to look after...surely there are other options. I have found a native plant that you can chew the leaves of, or boil in water and that stops d* which is great if you have both v*ing and d*.

I heard a rumor last time i was at the emergency room my nurse told me that here soon with in the next year they are going to make phenengran an over the counter med so you wouldnt need a scrip for it...I hope this is true...i love zolfran but its really expensive w/out health insurance

These posts ram home how silly some doctors are, because, as every emetophobic knows, you don`t have to v to recover from any illness, quite the reverse!

I completely agree with the Zofran point. Why do you have to be at an extreme before they will prescribe it? I called my Dr. the last time I had a sv* and asked if they would call in a prescription for it to my pharmacy, and she said no, just drink water and eat mild foods. Give me a freakin break! Why withhold modern medicine?!