Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Drank from a glass that smelt like wet dog! Chances of it making me sick??

I did not mean to drink from it and had I known beforehand I would not have done... But I took a few sips and then realised that the glass smelt just like damp dog. It was horrible, I could not even bear to have it near me. Apparently it had come out of the dishwasher and that was just the "dishwasher smell", but I am not convinced! I asked for a new glass, but could still not bring myself to drink it! Surely that can not be a good thing? Does it mean the dishwasher needs cleaning and is now contaminating everything? Will I get sick from it? Eurgh!

Sorry for the panic post and sounding a bit like a mental person, but that first thing that springs to mind when something does not smell right is "Oh no, its contaminated, it is going to make me ill!"

Can someone reassure me that I will be fine and the dishwasher just needs a clean?
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Default Re: Drank from a glass that smelt like wet dog! Chances of it making me sick??

It's true.... Someone I know always has glasses that smell like this in their house and I have had to drink from them many times so as not to appear rude! I drives me mental thinking I'll catch something but I never have! Plus, if it has been in the dishwasher, any germs will have been killed right? And it may not have even been germy in the first place. You will be fine

Default Re: Drank from a glass that smelt like wet dog! Chances of it making me sick??

You will be fine. Start thinking that dishwasher smell means that the glass has been decontaminated and washed w very hot water!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    It's true.... Someone I know always has glasses that smell like this in their house and I have had to drink from them many times so as not to appear rude! I drives me mental thinking I'll catch something but I never have! Plus, if it has been in the dishwasher, any germs will have been killed right? And it may not have even been germy in the first place. You will be fine
    I know that feeling, I hate coming across as rude too. This happened at my partner's parent's house so I did not want to seem rude either, but it really was horrible. It makes me feel a lot better that you have been in the same situation and not caught anything. Thanks. Does the dishwasher get hot enough to kill germs though? I was just worried that it didn't and instead provided the perfect breeding ground for germs. :/
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Dishwashers get pretty hot as far as I know! I personally don't have one because I trust myself more than a machine haha, but most people I know have dishwashers they don't even clean or anything and I have never had a problem so they must do the job! It is my partners parents too- worst place for it to happen!

!I hate that feeling! My inlaws lived without electricity for a while and they stored their milk and cheese in the fridge (even though it wasn't functional) and it smelled consistantly of old cheesy feet. She has made my children so mauch food from that fridge and had me off my rocker with 24/7 anxiety whilst staying with her. She used to be a microbiologist but uses one cloth in the kitchen for days on end (they are beyond stinky!!) , and then wonders why they get ill so often!. I think you'll be just fine, she's fed us on some crazy dirty stuff!. ; )
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Thanks for the replies. I have not got sick yet so I am assuming that I am going to be ok now and that it was just a case of being smelly and not germy. I only worry more about that sort of stuff because when I worked in a hospital microbiology laboratory one of the local restaurants had to be shut down/quarantined because there had been a norovirus outbreak (we used to get at least 5 stool samples a day from people that had eaten at this particular restaurant and upon testing for bacteria they would come back as negative, but turns out that it was noro causing the *d and *v) and it finally turned out that was because the dishwasher had become contaminated with the virus. :/ I guess this was an isolated incident though because like you said, a lot of people do not clean theirs and are absolutely fine.

And Mamafear, really? That does sounds horrible. It is understandable that your anxiety was going through the roof. But you all survived so that is good. I would have thought that her being a microbiologist, she would have known better? Or maybe she knows something we don't.

There are ways to clean dishwashers. I think they make a cleaner now. Some say you can use lemon Kool Aid to clean it. Check with the manufacturer.

Does you tap water have a smell? Is it normal?

If it is not a dishwasher thing or a water thing, then you may want to consider help if you have not done so already. Sometimes things not being clean enough can be a sign of needing treatment. HUGS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

My dishwasher gets so hot, I have to let the dishes cool down before I remove them or I'll get burned. I always use the dry cycle as well. However, when my dishwasher begins to look a little ick, I run through a sanitizing wash and it cleans it right up. I have never had the wet dog smell. Maybe it's the detergent she is using.

I'm sure you'll be fine! When I was little I actually licked my wet dog. (don't ask I was 4 and an odd child) But I didn't v*! My dishwasher always leaves a funky weird and now that I think of it, wet dog smell in glasses