Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default If you can offer POSITIVE words, please do...

I try so hard to stay positive during the winter but I find I'm faking it almost 24/7 from November to March. But we're into April and what the heck??? This noro season just won't stop and I'm so so tired of being afraid all the time.

I guess I could just really use just a positive and hopeful word or two from some kindred spirits. I usually grab on to statistics and try to cling to the fact that my risk is very low due to my OCD hand washing, food washing/cooking, and how I rarely ever leave my home. But I read of outbreaks in retirement homes and schools an hour to three hours away from where I reside and all my common sense crumbles. I think after five months of non-stop alert, OCD, worry, and terror ... I'm just too exhausted to find that reasonable voice in my head anymore.

(please - if you feel the need to tell me you have had it or have it or have a frightening story to tell - don't tell me. Please )

Anyone? Any positive words? Any words of reason to help calm me? I'm just so tired I want to cry.

Default Re: If you can offer POSITIVE words, please do...

First of all....breathe It seems that you are taking every precaution necessary to avoid noro. I wouldnt change a thing! Just hang in there ok. I panic everyday and i panic more bc i have a small child who put her hands in her mouth constantly. I just wash her hands and mine constantly and I am aware of my surroundings. I travel with sani wipes just incase and I am not ashamed to wipe stuff down my daughter will be touching. Being a little OCD is helpful when it comes to being emet, but dont let it run your life. You have to learn to talk yourself down which is what i have started doing. I come here for support when I need it and it has been great. Hang in there ok HUGS!

I completely agree with Sarah

Remember, it doesn't matter if it's in your area because you're clean and sanitary and someone would need to do *it* close to you for you to have any chance at all of catching it. Even then I think you'd be okay as if you're anything like me, you'd have run a mile at the first sign! It does seem to be taking a long time to do its rounds this year but just remember,it IS declining. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will be fine. Don't beat yourself up as you're just adding more stress to an already stressful situation. Remember, you've come this far and 'survived'. You're doing great!

Thank you guys. I had a moment of exhausted weakness I suppose. I got a grip, found my reasonable and logical self, and got back to life.

I really do appreciate your super kind words though. I needed that. sometimes I wish I could slap myself across the face when I get spooked like that - a "snap out of it" slap. I would make sure to wash my hands first though - lol.

That's exactly it! Well done for getting control over your anxiety again We wouldn't be normal if we didn't have mini meltdowns every now and again, that's all part of this journey. I had one at 12am this morning, I was laying in bed, my mind racing and it was literally like a slap around the face. You've overcome your moment of panic and have your 'rational head' back on. That takes strength and power and you are a super brave person! Don't ever forget that. Just keep telling yourself, especially when you're feeling panicky that NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. x

It's a roller coaster - you get wrapped up in life like a normal person and stop obsessing over it and then something triggers it again and you go down the rabbit hole of fear and exhausting "avoidance" techniques (washing, not eating out, cleaning,etc). i totally get it and do it as well so you're not alone. The only advice i have is to remind yourself that, in the scheme of things, this is really NOT a big deal. it won't kill you. it won't cause any permanent damage. it's NOT A HUGE DEAL compared to real bad stuff like cancer, accidents etc. why we STILL fear it so much is what sucks.

We all have times where we feel hopeless and can't deal with emet/noro anymore.
    i feel the same way, all over facebook I have friends who I know that post about having SV and V all night etc ugh.
    but honestly, I'm 18 and haven't caught a SV since I was like 9 years old.
    For example, I ate at an open salad bar last night. Was I worried about noro? Yes. But just taking simple steps to get over the noro fear makes things so much better honey, even just take a 10 minute walk outside your house, you will feel better soon.

you can do this, and you can be strong.
    thinking of you xx