Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default People with emet and OCD

I have both emet and ocd and they switch out with each other. They're never really present at the same time, they take turns bothering me. Maybe for a week or two I'll have serious spiking (ocd term). During this time, it's like I don't even have emet. The only time ocd doesn't bother me is when my emet does. I prefer the emet cause ocd is more troublesome. I'd like to hear from people who have ocd too. How do you deal with the two?

Default Re: People with emet and OCD

Mine go hand in hand. My OCD is purely hygiene related and the more anxious about emet I am, the more my OCD goes into over drive. I'd love to be able to not wash my hands, just for once but that I can't even bear to think about it!

I also have rituals, I've seen on this forum that rituals seem to be quite common but mine seem to be really bizarre. If I do something in a particular way, it means I'll be okay. In my head I know this isn't true but I still can't stop myself from doing it.

I don't know, I guess I'm just one of a kind, haha!

How does your OCD affect you? Is yours related to hygiene or is it general?

I can see how that kind of ocd would go hand in hand with your emet. I'm an orderer and an obsessor. My ocd and emet use go along with each other. I'd have rituals to make sure I would v*, and things like that. They've really separated themselves now though.

I guess in someways that's good that they are no longer hand in hand! At least you don't have to be getting worked up about them both at the same time but can concentrate one one

The only ocd behaviour that I have apart from cleanliness is that I tend to check several times that i haven`t left a tap running, or the gas on before I go out.

My OCD solely circulates around this phrase "if I don't check this/do this a certain way/etc, I will v*"
    Seriously I'll be shelving books at work(I work in a library) and if I don't put them on a shelf the exact right way, my mind tells me that I'm gonna get sick if I don't fix it.
    That's just one example but it happens with other activities too. Thankfully, my OCD is not always that bad, there's certain days when it's worse and other days when it's more calm.

My OCD solely circulates around this phrase "if I don't check this/do this a certain way/etc, I will v*"
    Im exactly the same! But worse with hygiene related issues. I'd say my ocd actually effects my life more than emet as I cant use public transport etc. But my fear of V is worse if that makes sense? Ahhhh if only i was 'normal'
    Everything will be ok in the end...and if it's not ok, it's not the end!

I am very much way toooo OCD. since i was a child. I have alot of things that bug me. I have to touch things a certain amount, have things perfect how i want them or i will go crazy. Its alot worse when im stressed. It makes me feel supersticious
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

While I don't have OCD, I do have a few quirks. For example, when I use an ATM, I touch the keypad with my knuckles instead of my fingertips. For some reason, I think that doing it that way will protect me from norovirus particles. Even though the chance of catching noro from something like an ATM keypad is extremely small, I always think that a sick person with unwashed hands might have been using it right before me.

O i do that too! well, when i enter my pin number on the slidy thing, i use my pinky finger, lol..i feel like i dont touch my face as much with that finger.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)