Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Need to get help but don't know how

I had gotten to the point where I need to get help. My emet is running and ruining my life and relationships. I went to my dr for an anti depressant and anti anxiety refill and she gave me some referrals for physiologists and counselors. I just don't know what to say when I call or how I go about deciding who to see and what to say when I get there. I'm scared no one can help me. Any ideas? Thank you.

Default Re: Need to get help but don't know how

i would just tell them everything, that way they can evaluate if they can really help you or not. My therapist hadn't really heard about emet before but she said she would treat it as a phobia as they are all based in anxiety. she did read about it online and stuff.

if you think they're not listening to you or taking you seriously then don't settle!

I agree with the above. Tell them about the ways emet is impacting your life, and they can evaluate what treatments they think will help you. It is really important to have a doctor you trust, because you won't get far in your therapy without trust. I wish you the best of luck!

Be 100% honest with them. And act very serious about it because it's a very serious thing. I have found that if you act shy about it they won't take you very seriously. I have gone to a couple of councelors and the last one I went to when I called to make an appointment I told them straight up yes it sounds rediculous but it's a real problem for me and it needs to get fixed. Blunt and honest.