Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New job, viruses, venting, etc.

I just started a new job and in the span of a week, it has really been testing my emetophobia.

I'm a hostess in a restaurant so obviously that means coming into contact with a lot of people, as well as working with various types of people who have children, etc. My first freak-out came when I learned that part of our hostess duties are to check the bathroom every hour and make sure it's stocked, wipe up the sink, and pick up any trash on the floor. I was thinking, um, I didn't sign up to be a janitor. People are nasty and as we all know, they will throw their used sanitary products on the ground, amongst other nasty things. I'm expected to pick this up? Needless to say, so far I've just signed off that I've done it (when I haven't) and if I do check it, I really don't touch anything. I figure there's no way for the manager to really prove I haven't done it, since any mess could have taken place afterwards. Regardless, I'm willing to take the risk. I don't even like breathing the air in a public restroom. If it comes down to it, I will have to tell the manager that I cannot and will not do it. If I have to leave the job, so be it. I only took the job to get out and meet people in my new area. The manager is more than 10 years younger than me and I'm not about to let her belittle me.

The second freak-out came when this young couple showed up with their child who was clearly ill. The child looked sleepy, glassy-eyed and kept coughing. It was extremely annoying. Fortunately, they chose to sit outdoors but unfortunately, that is also where the hostess spot is stationed. So I had the pleasure of listening to this child's hacking cough for over an hour. I initially feared the child would end up getting sick, but thankfully nothing happened. I made comments to my coworker about how I was disgusted and she was "shush-ing" me. She also said she didn't care about things like germs. (!!!!)

The third and fourth freak-out came when I was about to leave yesterday and a coworker was arriving after having called out the other day. I heard her explaining to the manager that she "couldn't keep anything down" and that she must have gotten it from one of the kids. Then just now, I received a mass e-mail from another coworker, asking someone to please cover her shift tomorrow morning because her son is throwing up and the sitter will not take him like that. Is this damn virus still going around?!

I haven't checked here in a while and I had a feeling that this new job would eventually fuel my emetophobia. I've had tried to avoid working outside of the home for quite some time but not only was it not enough income, it was turning me into a hermit and thus wearing on my mental health. Standing outdoors for my entire shift makes me feel better because I'm out in the fresh air and I think that's the only thing that eases my mind.

I thought of the people on this board in general when I had to listen to the child cough and when I first learned about the bathroom duties. I was pretty sure some of you would react the same way. So I'm posting this for everyone to either give their thoughts on it or add their own stories.
    Last edited by alexikiss; 04-15-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Default Re: New job, viruses, venting, etc.

I have worked in a restaurant for the past three years and have yet to be sick by all of the germs that come in and out of that place! (if that makes you feel better) For a year i was a hostess where, i too, had to check the restrooms. I would often wear gloves or not check it at all, but i think if you wash your hands really good after a restroom check you should be okay. Or ask another host to do it. lol. I also know the feeling of having more than 40+ coworkers and the touch screens that you have to touch. I wash my hands very carefully before going into my car, then i wash again when i get home. That seems to work for me. I also sanitize my phone because i bring it in to work. One awful thing about the restaurant business is that most management still want employee's to come into work even if they are ill. (Mostly colds though!) But i think you will find a lot of people will say they are sick when they are not to get their shift covered. I hope this post helped you a little

Oh just one more thought. While at work just make sure not to touch your eyes, nose, or mouth! I subconsciously keep that in mind a lot at work.

I just started a new job too and already had to deal with my manager V*ing all over herself! Talk about freaking out!! I wanted to run out of the store crying

Oh, I never touch my face - period! My hands were so dry today (from washing) that my skin cracked in one spot and was bleeding! I was afraid germs could enter that way, but I forget whether or not that is possible.

You're right, working in a restaurant surely is a testament to how good our immune systems are. Today I was polishing the silverware and some of it was still dirty from the dishwasher. Wiping each one with this damp rag. I was grossed out. Then I had to wrap the utensils in napkins. The same utensils people will be eating with. As much as it's grossing me out, I'm realizing that there really is no sterile environment. You don't know who has touched your utensils, dishes, menus, food, or what their hands were touching before that. It's virtually impossible to wash your hands before and after touching every object. I'm sure many of us have gone through life without being sickened from anything of this nature.

Amandaalee1, your manager vomited on herself?? Wtf?? What did you do??

Yes! And all over the bathroom! Well when I went to go see what she wanted, she ran out of the bathroom and was telling me to grab the set of keys out of her hands and and I was like "no I don't want to touch those!" And we went back and forth about it and i finally grabbed them and then put them right on the counter. It's almost like I blacked out because I was so freaked out and just like what the hell?! I washed my hands right after. Still counting the hours down to 72!

If it makes you feel ANY better, I worked in restaurants and/or retail all through high school and college and even at the beach one summer. I NEVER caught a sv. I was very lax about handwashing, etc, at the time, to be honest... My phobia was "on a break" during that time . Thank goodness! I think of all the tables I cleared (picking up people's plates, etc), AND I definitely wasn't taking vitamins or getting adequate sleep like I do now. I was wondering... Not sure what restaurant you're working at, but the ones I worked for definitely had the "party atmosphere" going on amongst the servers / cooks / hostesses. You never know if your co-worker was v* due to something like that. People often aren't 100% honest when calling into work. As far as bathrooms, I'd probably peek in to make sure there's not a huge mess, and be done with it .
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Yes, people are disgusting, which is why I`d prefer to work in a job where I didn`t have to deal with the public & their revolting messes. The sort of job I`d like to do is working with small animals, like in a cattery or kennels, because frankly, I think that animals have better hygiene & manners than a great many people do!

I'm so allergic to cats I couldn't work in a kennel I wish I could though, I love animals!

As far as people being 'sick' at the restaurant, when I worked in retail I found out a lot of interesting things about that. Just because someone says they're sick, doesn't mean they are. I don't know how the restaurant you work at is, but where I worked they're were like, 50 people that worked there, so there was always SOMEONE to cover. Also there wasn't much job loyalty. I would get desperate emails at all hours from people saying they were throwing up etc etc and I would ask them the next time I saw them how they were feeling. Very rarely were they actually sick. Usually it was like 'oh, I was hungover,' or 'oh, I had an appointment and the managers didn't give me the day off,' or ' I ate too much fried food and had a stomach ache.' I wouldn't worry too much