Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Germophobe or Emetophobe?

I have been reading many posts over the last few weeks and it struck me that there are a lot of people who are afraid of germs as well as v*ing. And I also noticed that some people can still be in the same room with an actively sick person. I'm just wondering exactly what triggers what. I am not scared of germs. I wash my hands but not excessively. I am not constantly worried that I'll catch noro. What I AM afraid of is seeing someone else v*, hearing someone else v*, seeing it on the ground, feeling sick myself, being sick in public and private. I don't really eat a lot during the day in hopes that I won't feel sick on the way home from work. I hate going out to restaurants and if I'm forced to, I'll eat very little and take some Gravol if the drive home is more than 15 minutes. But once I'm home and in for the night or day or whatever, I can eat until I'm full as long as I know I don't have to go anywhere. Is anyone else like this?

Default Re: Germophobe or Emetophobe?

I am definitely more anxious about going out in public, I'm always scared I'm going to v* at school or at the mall or anywhere really! It freaks me out so bad! Being around sick people really only scares me because I'm scared of getting sick, I heard my brother v* a few weeks ago and while it was yucky my biggest thought was OH MY GOD I COULD GET SICK
    And for some reason sicknesses that don't involve v* bother me a whole lot less
    For example when my brother had an sv* in March I wouldn't even go near him but when my friend had mono over Christmas break I went to her house and hugged her and ate meals with her
    Idk my phobia is definitely emet not germs in general

Everyone is different. Some emets are afraid of all v* no matter what causes it, some are only afraid of themselves doing it, some are only afraid of others doing it. A lot of emets are afraid of other illnesses and germs as well. I think this is where it really crosses into OCD territory.

Not afraid of germs at all. The flu or a cold virus doesn't scare me. Its any virus that has to do with the digestive system that I avoid like the plague.

I am not afraid of germs... Yeah I find it absolutely disgusting when people cough or sneeze and do not put their hand or a tissue over their mouth. Or sometimes when I am in certain situations I think about how many germs there may be, like on the underground/subway just think of how many germs must be on those hand rails. But I think that is my interest in microorganisms more than anything. (I am currently applying for a Master's degree in Microbiology). I do not fear getting ill unless it is a *sv or stomach related as that is when the possibility of *v arises. And that I am scred of!
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I am definitely a germaphobe, and I know this sounds mean, but moreso when I'm around someone who's sick and looks really gross, i.e doesn't look like they shower regularly.

I'm only germaphobic when it comes to emetophobia. I don't care if I catch anything, as long as I don't get sick to the stomach. Even then, I can get through it but I'm miserable.
    Last edited by asianeko; 04-18-2013 at 12:40 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I second rexy's post. I actually feel happy and welcome things like the respiratory flu or the common cold because I know I will not (or should not) have any digestive issues.. but I'm definitely a germaphobe when it comes to stomach virus germs. I think all of us who have emet have a touch of that because we are so afraid of things we can't see/the unknown.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.

I fear contagious v. No v is fun, of course, but contagious v with sv sends me into hyper-emet mode.

I am somewhat germaphobic in general too, mostly because my kids are little and are very allergic to the cillins (penicillin, amoxicillin, etc), so every time they have to try a new antibiotic I get nervous they will have another severe reaction. I am trying to loosen up a little regarding colds and respiratory stuff, though. I know they need to build up some immunity.