Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Feeling sick

Default Feeling sick

Over last couple of hours the nausea has been pretty constant. I go from thinking its easing off only to be hit with another wave of it. Taken maximum dose of phenergan spread out since about 3pm (about 8 hrs ago) & dont think I can risk taking anymore for a couple of hours. To add to my stress levels a co-worker who I work really close with (sharing computers, phones etc) has a young grandson who has been v* a LOT for several days. I had almost managed to convince myself that it was probably a sv* that affects kids only til today when I discovered the babies father was sent home from work with same symptoms & has gone to bed with a bucket by the side of him

Any reassurance would be nice

Default Re: Feeling sick

How are you feeling now? If you've been keeping you hands away from your mouth, you should be fine!! I hope you're feeling better.

Still the same. I really need to sleep cos its 1am here & I need to get up for work in a few hrs but dont think I can relax enough to sleep even though Im tired

It's probably your anxiety working you up. I posted a thread earlier today about not heating up my food from last night. I know it's fine because I do it all the time. But today, I convinced myself I was feeling sick and I really wasn't. I've done that where I felt so sick I thought for it might happen. Try and breath and distract yourself.

I managed to get some sleep & went into work but the nausea has been quite bad on & off all day. Took more phenergan in work when it got quite bad. My stomach feels really off & Im still worried its going to happen. Managed to eat a sandwich lunchtime but have no appetite now almost 7 hrs later.

Even if it's a SV, it doesn't mean you will necessarily v*. You've gone quite a long time feeling n* and not being s* so I doubt you will be now. And, from personal experience, even if you were the actual act itself won't be as bad as the prolonged period of nausea you have suffered and may even be a relief. It's probably a 24/48 hour thing at most... Sometimes these things come and go as quickly as they came. Bet you are fine tomorrow morning... I know it's hard when you need to sleep but are scared to... Best thing is to prop yourself up in bed and do something to distract yourself. I know that's a cliche but if you try it, it will definitely help - try some quiet TV, reading a magazine or text a friend... Ask yourself what is the worst that could happen? You will be ok eventually I promise. X

Thanks LittleFlo. Trouble with me is Ive got a couple of underlying health issues that both have nausea as a major symptom. Each time I get it I always freak out & assume its a sv* & I wont be able to control it. I know I just have to ride it out again but its so tough I always have the tv on in my bedroom, it stays on all night but on a low level. Thats just one of my many quirks!

I sort sort of know how you feel as I have a slight kidney complaint that can cause nausea and UTI symptoms (including stomach pain)... And I'm on strong medication for it which gives me acid reflux, constipation and occasionally nausea... So I get you - everytime I get the slightest twinge I assume it's a SV when it reality 99% of the time it's my condition/medication... It does sound like you are being exceptionally brave! Try sipping some lukewarm peppermint tea if you have some... I highly doubt anything will happen tonight. Sleep deprivation can make you feel very sick though so do try and sleep as hard as it is... Have you got someone with you? Sometimes when I'm having a 'scare' it helps when I'm with my boyfriend and, although he is sympathetic, he is quite firm with me and tells me to get into bed, cuddle up to him and relax - nothing terrible is going to happen. Xx

I cant deal with anybody around me when I feel like this. Partly cos I need to deal with it on my own without any body seeing how crazy I act & partly cos I need every ounce of concentration/strength & cant be distracted!! Its a pain having the added burden of a health condition that causes nausea when you have emet. Im sorry to hear you deal with a similar problem.

I know what you mean - a lot of the time I feel I have to be away from everyone and at home on my own to deal with it because of being perceived as 'crazy' but recently I've found it's really helpful to have someone physically be with you and make you feel less isolated. Isolation can actually increase anxiety as you just get locked in this destructive world... Of course everyone is different but don't be afraid to reach out to people. The people who really love you will never think less of you. My family know about my phobia as do my close friends - it's a relief they know so if there's a situation - even something small like not eating chicken at a family BBQ, no one questions it, they respect me but are always there if I need them. I know it's good to talk on here as people understand it but it's good to have a support network in 'real-life' too... Just giving you a cuddle will help as it releases feel-good hormones! I need my own space often too but there's no harm in saying to someone if you're not coping. I used to think people would think I was being dramatic or I was attention-seeking, but now I have the reassurance that the people who matter know just how fearful I am and how real my distress can be. That validation can be a huge comfort hun xx

You ok now? It sure does sound like you got yourself worked up and convinced. I too have issues that cause nausea. I'm pretty sure I have some kind of sugar issue. If I go a little while without food I feel really n*, plus I have reflux really bad. Not just acid reflux, when I eat or drink and I feel like I have to burp my food or drink comes right up or even if I'm sitting a little awkward. Plus my anxiety causes it too. I hope your feeling better. When I don't feel well I don't like people around or talking to me.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Im still feeling sick but it isnt quite as bad as a few days ago. It seems to just be there all the time but it gets really bad every few hours. Im trying to keep busy & Im glad to say that I managed to carry on & go to work as normal. Got 3 days off now cos having new furniture delivered tomorrow & got some new interior doors that need waxing so I havent got time to be ill

Probably best if you go to the doctors - most causes of nausea should only really last around three days then start to subside (SV, food P, Noro etc)... It's most likely anxiety but no harm in checking xx