Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Suggested to V* as part of treatment

I've heard from several sources that if you are told from a therapist that in order to get better they need to make you vomit as part of the treatment, that you should run. Well I've seen 3 therapists now and have not had any success. No one seems to know what they're doing, even though they claim to specialize in anxiety and phobias. 2 of them suggested vomiting as part of treatment, but didn't push it. It was up to me, so I continued treatment. But there just never seemed to be a real treatment plan. It was mainly talk therapy, trying to figure out where the phobia came from, trying to figure out what other parts of my life are out of control that we can fix that may relate to the phobia, and then talk of desensitization but never actually doing it. It's done nothing. So I called a Center for Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy in my area, figuring I actually need someone to take me through the steps of the phobia directly. When I called them, the first thing they told me was that part of treatment was making you vomit. I told them how I've read in various emetophobia sources that if anyone tells you that you should run. He said he didn't know where I heard that, but it's proven that this is how you get better. I asked if they have any success rates when dealing with this phobia. They said they don't track that, it's hard to tell, because when people are better they don't normally report back. My thinking is it's likely that they're just terrified and too scared to come back!

Nevertheless, I am desperate after my kids last stomach virus. I cannot live trapped by this fear year after year. They are only 5. I am wishing they were 20 - wishing away their childhood. So I am going to the appointment. I did say that I may not follow through, but I am willing to get started and see where it goes.

So is it true that vomiting as part of treatment is helpful, or is it detrimental? I understand their logic, that's how it is with other phobias. But it makes me worry they don't truely understand emetophobia. Is it possible that it can help? Is it possible, or likely, that it can make it worse?

Default Re: Suggested to V* as part of treatment

It sounds ridiculous to suggest vting as treatment foe emet, because that would be the same as suggesting that someone who has a dog phobia should go & get a dog to bite them to cure their phobia!

Absolutely not!! That's a ridiculous notion and personally, I don't believe that it'll help anything except terrify you even more. If by chance you did go through with it and it did work, you may feel better about the fact that you v* and but only because you were able to control it but what about when its out of your control? I think you'll be right back to square one this is only my opinion. If you look in the Emet FAQ, you'll find this question in there and I think its answered beautifully and logically. I think by reading it, you'll feel better and it may make your decision regarding this.. X
    “Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Absolutely not! This can often retraumatize someone and cause them to be more scared then they were.

Treatment is in the form of gradual exposure and anxiety reduction. This has worked for many people .

I'm pretty sure vomiting isn't a required part of CBT. If it were I bet no emets would ever try it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

I have been seeing a therapist since January, and she has never once brought this up! You deserve a better therapist.

It CAN help, but only if you're at the right point in your therapy. I've heard of it working before, but the person who it worked on was quite far along in their therapy, very close to being "recovered".

I wouldn't compare it to a person afraid of a dog getting a dog bite as part of their therapy. It's more like someone with a dog phobia being at a good point in their recovery being introduced to a dog.

But it all comes down to YOU. If YOU'RE ready, go for it, if you don't think you're ready, they can't make you do it, that's all in your control
    Come visit my history blog:

Some emets have been cured through vomiting, and others haven't. You can read stories of people who both have and haven't been cured through ipecac, milk challenge, and vomiting naturally on my web site: http://emetophobia.byethost15.com
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1 View Post
    Some emets have been cured through vomiting, and others haven't. You can read stories of people who both have and haven't been cured through ipecac, milk challenge, and vomiting naturally on my web site: http://emetophobia.byethost15.com
    Thanks. I'm going to make sure the therapist sees this. It sounds like the bad experiences outweigh the good, and it's risky.

Erin is right. You control what you feel ready to handle. As long as you are making progress, that is truly what matters in your therapy. Part of my recovery process was not being overly hygienic to the point of bedlam haha. When I felt ready I did...just around the time several people around my city came down with a stomach virus, and I knew it. I did catch it, but it wasn't the worst thing.
    We don't have to throw up to be cured, and we don't have to throw up in life (life or death not withstanding).
    Life is so worth living.

My thearpist said inducing vomiting as part of recovery is not something that has been a proven cure. I would find a new person to go to.

Yeah, I wouldn't force myself to vomit to try and get cured of this phobia...that seems ridiculous. It seems that if you did something like that just manning up the courage to actually do it would be most nerve wracking IMO.