Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I thought it would be cool if we started a post that encouraged us to challenge our emet each day and then come on here and share what we accomplished and how it made us feel.

I'm thinking anything from... I slept all night long without thinking "What if I vomit"to "I vomited last night 10x and am still alive to tell about it!"

What do you guys think? I thought it might be kinda uplifting and inspirational. I also thought it might be a fun way for us to challenge this thing more often.

\"This too shall pass\"

Here are a couple from me. Last weekend I went camping with my daughter's girl scout troop. This was a huge accomplishment since I tend to see kids (except my own)as walking germs and there were like 25 of them there. I didn't use the bathrooms there, I just squatted in the woods. Luckily for me I only had to pee I even went kayaking! I used to love kayaking untill I gave too much thought to the micro organisms in the water. That kinda spoiled it for me, but I went and had fun even though yukkie river water splashed me in the face and some even got into my mouth. YUK!

Also.. Today I ate meat 2x!! I had chicken on my salad at lunch and for dinner made sloppy joes with ground turkey YAY!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Way to go Shiva! THe other day I challenged my Emet by going to a movie theater and sitting in a row where there were people blocking me in! I know that's not such a big deal, not like you, but I did it and I was just fine! Just wanted to share that.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

This is a great idea! Today, I went school shopping for 4 hours, I even stopped and got some thing to eat, and I didn't even wash my hands before eating. It wasn't even on my mind!

Mine was, my boyfriend called me intoxicated and I offered to pick him up. (I usually make him sleep at a friends house). When we got back to my apt. I knew what he was about to do. Usually I kick him out or beg him not to and he is always good about it. This time I told him "go do what you need to do in the bathroom". He asked "will you be mad". And I said no!!! I was fine. I sat on my balcony, turned on the loud airconditioner and waited for him to be done. Normally I would freak out, go for a really long walk until morning. I even slept in bed with him and did not have compulsve thoughts! I felt cured!! But I know I am not...I have been struggling for years. I start to have triumphs like this then I will have a huge pitfall. I think we can all relate to that!

These are great accomplishments! It's really refreshing for me to hear your stories and to share mine. Maybe if we think of emet as being like... A big green monster who thrives on anxiety and is defeated by strength. Maybe we can kill him once and for all I think we need to focus so much moreon giving ourselves more credit when we do manage to face our fears and challenge ourselves.

Today my daughter got sick. She has only vomited a handfull of times around me, she is now 9. I did NOT have a panic attack. I was not comfortable, I was shaking, I had diarrhea, I was not happy. BUT, I did not cry or run or totally panic. And I am very proud of myself
    \"This too shall pass\"

Come on.. We have to keep this one up. I am sure that someone out there challenged themselves and felt better afterward. Let us hear about it!
    \"This too shall pass\"

I agree with you. I have been "lurking" around this website for awhile now. Again yes I thought I was the only one with emet. I didnt even know it had a name. The thing I noticed the most is that everyone is talking about the "bad" all the time, until this post Shiva I felt there was nothing uplifting to say about emet. No one coming out saying how they are challenging themselves.

Well I am here to say I have challenged myself more than ever in the past few months. My emet involves my obsession with others and myself v*. I have strived to go to more bars and hang out with friends and not stare at the people who I feel may v* if they drink. I will be a designated driver at times now too as well as drink a lot myself when I am not driving! Don't get me wrong if it happens I feel myself losing control but I keep reminding myself "it doesnt happen that often and nothing is going to tie my feet to the ground if it does".

Kleonar,

Thanks for sharing your story. I think it's very important for us to share these moments with one another.I am glad that you have decided to take control and go out and live It sounds like the designated driver thing can actually be strenghthening either way it goes. I mean, say you are out and someone gets sick and you get through it without the world coming to an end. Then you realize that you can handle it. On the other hand, you go out and everything goes fine... You realize that you don't need to obsess daily about what might never happen. I think it's all on how we look the experience. I think someone on here uses the quote "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" and I believe in that 100%.

I think we have to challenge our thinking and ourselves if we ever want to grow. I know it's very hard and this phobia can really be debilitating, but the only way to rid ourselves of it is to face it and challenge ourselves every opportunity we have.

\"This too shall pass\"

Tonight I went out with friends (who are a couple) and I offered to ride in the back seat even though they know my situation and expected me to sit in the front (I get car sick, of course I got queezy a couple of times, but I dealt with it and lasted the whole way without panicking or feeling too yuk. I just really wanted to let them sit together and wanted to try to be less high maintenance. It felt really good to have felt flexible and normal. Sometimes I feel like I expect everyone to walk on eggshells around me because of my phobia. I am grateful when they do, but I wish I didn't need special treatment, you know?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Hmm... OH!

I ate past midnight!

*Squee!*

Today I drove for an hour to drop off something for my b/f. I didn't feel at all panicky, or even anxious.

BACKGROUND...a couple of days ago I was driving my b/f back to his campsite (he works the oil rigs (yes, i'm in alberta, canada)), and I started to have some really BAD panic attacks. This is not actually the norm for me anymore. I haven't had a lot of BAD ones for quite some time. So, I do eventually get home, after about 1 1/2 hours, totally exausted from the marathon my body had just run. I did not want to ever drive again. I didn't even want to leave my house! Anyway, I did it anyway!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Good for you! Glad you were able to get right back out there and drive without any problems I think sometimes it's just the frame of mind we are in when panic takes over. It's important for us to realize that just because it happened once, doesn't mean it will again. I think sometimes we tend to forget that. Give yourself a pat on the back!

\"This too shall pass\"

Thanks Shiva...I'm off to see him again today, but in a differant town. Those rigs move constantly. This is a bit of a longer drive, but one I know pretty well, so hopefully all goes well. Wish me luck!

Crystal

This evening I went out to dinner and got steak cooked medium. So its really 2. I went out to eat, and I had steak that was more rare than usual.

(But I am still kind of nervous)

Michele

Way to go Michele....don't be nervous, I like my steak like that, and never once got sick from it! And hey, in a restaurant too....awesome!

Crystal

Wow Mitch! That is HUGE! Great job! And I thought I was something because I ate chicken that I burned the hell out of! Haha! Was it yummie??? I have been craving red meat!

Mine for the weekend was that I went to a kids birthday party and didn't wash my hands before eating. I even had my hand gel with me and didn't use it, I just dug in. Funny thing is, I didn't even think about it. I was about half way through and like.. Uh oh... But, I didn't worry much about it.

Crystal, How did the drive go?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Thanks guys, and yes the steak was very yummy. I was nervous when I first got home, but before I went to bed I ate two granola bars, and about 3 handfuls of cheez-its, and I am still alive today!! When you can accomplish something like this, it feels like your on top of the world

Shiva....the drive went really well. No attacks at all! Feeling much better about going out and driving and being "me" again. I am such a goer, and to feel like I 'can't' go anywhere makes me feel blah. Thanks for asking....[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Crystal

There is definitely a sense of freedom involved with knowing that you can get in your car and go wherever you want. For an emet, this is a true accomplishment since we are always in panic mode I am like you... I don't know if I try to keep my mind busy so that I don't think about stuff that might bother me, but I go, go, go, too It is tough when you hit those days where it feels like the universe has planted a big anxiety filled speed bump right in your way, huh? Glad to hear things are going so well
    \"This too shall pass\"

Typical! On monday I had to attend court to be a witness to an assault that happened to me and my boss, I was anxious all the week before and was convinced I couldnt go, which could reult in my arrest if I failed to turn up. On that morning I woke up, went to court for 9.45am, and morning times are my ultimatepanic period. I spent 6 hrs there with in between trips to shops and pub! The case got adjourned! Anyway, I felt great that day and I feel prayers ha sa lot to do with it as me and my mom prayedfor it to be alright. Next day I was back to my panics and the day after, worse than ever? Cant win!

I went to a fair last night, and my boyrfriends so was complaining is stomach wasn't feeling good before we left, and I managed to keep 10 of my 20 questions to myself. Is that really an accomplishment?

Suzy, I am glad that you made it through that day okay. Maybe you and your mom just have to keep praying like crazy and you will have more good days At least you know that you can have good days, since you were just given one. That's gotta count for something, no?

Mitch, A fair on it's own is quite the accomplishment if you ask me. (all those spinny rides and fair food... not a good mixture sometimes) It does feel good to keep some of those questions to yourself, doesn't it? I know when I am in that situation, after asking each one I feel smaller and smaller. Good job at keeping some of them to yourself. Did you end up having a good time? Or, were you worried the whole time?
    \"This too shall pass\"

I've been getting great rest lately! Not waking up in the middle of the night worrying about if someone is gonna get sick. This feels really great! I hope I can keep it going once school starts! Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I only worried when we were near the rides, i kept looking at the ground examining previous puddles, I was nervous, but I didn't panic or anything. I made one comment to my bf that it was an accomplishment for me to even come here, and he said that he didn't even think about all the potential v* that could happen. But, I did it and went, and that's all that matters.

Shiva, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I have not slept a full night in about a year, but it's more due to the fact that I get up about 3-5 times a night to pee (kidney problems), but I also examine how my stomach feels each time I get up which sucks. But Congrats on the great accomplishment!

Mitch your comment made me laugh. 10 to 20 questions. I am usually up to 30-40 questions. If I even ask my BF "are you all right" he gives me that look of "i'm fine please dont ask again". And what do I do 1 minute later "are you all right?". He's a good sport though. He can smile and we both have a good laugh.

Hey.. Out of all the questions we could ask our boyfriends, I think the "Are you alright" one is okay! haha!
    \"This too shall pass\"

Heres another one for you. I got married last year to a man who was the most selfish, secerative, unreliable person I ever met! We would fall out every week because of his sneaky behavior,ie, he'd switch his phone off when he went out and then not come home! I questioned him lots of times but he'd just say "give it a rest youre doing my head in" SoI naver really got an explination of where he was or who he was with, I WAS V SUSPICIOUS. He diddnt even tell his work that he was married! I t made me feel really inadequate and ashamed that I allowed him to treat me the way he did. My emet got worse so I am now divorcing him because every time I think of him I remember all the stress he caused me and I cant deal with it. Im so proud I would rather be on my own than have to put up with him.

That is a major accomplishment!! Congrats on getting a divorce!! I just left the exact same type of relationship but we were not married, and I have met the most wonderful man who always answers the phone, and always comes home, and you will meet someone like that too!! You do not need to be put in that stress, I know exactly how you feel, the sleepless nights, when he won't pick up the phone, or come home. How you could ask him a hundred times if he was cheating and he would still deny it until he was blue in the face. That feeling is the worst feeling, I actually think worse than v*, and to be able to finally free yourself from that, and realize that you are togood of person to have to be in that situation, is the biggest accomplishment of all. I am glad that you are finally thinking of yourself!! Good for you!! Edited by: mitch04133

Hey! Am I the youngest person on here? I'm 14...Anyway when I went to bed last night I felt sick because it was on my mind, but I started counting up to a hundred in my head, and eventually I fell asleep. Normally I'm up for hours worrying so I think I did quite well. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]