Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Quitting smoking and super anxious! Advice?

Hi everyone! Well I finally decided to quit smoking (cold turkey because I'm terrified of the pills' side effects) and I'm so scared of the dizziness, nervousness and n* that follows. Last time I tried, I felt awful and connected it to withdraw and started again. But this time I have no choice! My Doctor did this lung function blow test on me today and said my lungs were functioning horribly and I'm only 30. He gave me a prescription of Ativan and said to take them for anxiety and nervousness and we'll 'see what happens'. I AM TERRIFIED! Anyone been through this or have any advice on how to control this? My emetophobia issues make this 10X harder than it should be and I'm just lost

Default Re: Quitting smoking and super anxious! Advice?

Just DON'T GIVE IN. Remember every time you cave, you're starting all over again. Keep yourself distracted - stay in environments in which you wouldn't usually smoke. Wander around a mall, see a movie, etc. Remind yourself that it's just the withdrawl and everything you're going through is TEMPORARY. You'll feel a million times better AFTER this is over than you felt BEFORE you started! Good luck and congrats on quitting!
    -Jenni

"Look for love and evidence that you're worth keeping." PJ

Default Re: Quitting smoking and super anxious! Advice?

Thanks so much!