Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Day one on citalopram

I started taking citalopram this morning for anxiety. My emet has somehow manifested itself into a phobia of being s in a public place. I started on 10mg and i normally have a good tolerance to tablets but i feel awful. Its like the die effects are working on rotaion. Severe nausea for 15 mins, severe headache for 15 mins, yawning and tiredness for 15mins etc. its apparently meant to last a few days and i am gonna have to sick it out as i need some relief for this anxiety so i can get my life back. Anyone have any tips on dealing with the nausea ... I did eat when taking the tablet is morning at 9am its now nearly midnight

Default Re: Day one on citalopram

I am on citalopram. I had some side effects like you experienced, but they went away quickly. Make sure you take it with a meal. I still always take it with dinner. Your body will get used to it. And it helped me tremendously!

Those effects should not last much longer than a few days or weeks. I've never taken celexa before, but I have a good friend who does. If it goes on too long or becomes unbareble, tell your doctor. There are other options. It's ironic I run into this because I am writing an essay on psychotropic medication, and the effects of.
    Last edited by sdfl; 04-26-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Daggone autocorrect
    Life is so worth living.

Its carried on today, i am going to give it till monday and if i feel no better i will go back to the doctors. Would be ok if i could sleep as i have been drowsy but i just cant fall asleep. Not left my bed today. Did have a couple of hours where i felt ok. I took some cyclizine this morning for the nausea and that seemed to help but i think its that that has made me feel so tired as i am more awake since they wore off. Ive taken sertraline before and only got a headache and insomnia which i could cope with

Ive just been prescribe citalopram today. I have two weeks where I take a smaller dose of Fluxeotine and then start with Citalopram 20mg's a day. I hope the side effects pass for you soon!

Its horrid i normally tolerate meication well. My sister takes them and didnt side effects. Will be worth it if i know its gonna help the anxiety. Good luck with them ... I am meant to go to 20mg in a couple of weeks

I have attempted to take Citalopram on two separate occasions but had to stop taking them both times about two weeks in as the side effects were unbearable. My anxiety increased so much while on them that I couldn't leave the house, so it just wasn't for me if you can stick through the side effects and come out the otherside, I do believe they will relieve your anxiety so much! I just wasn't strong enough to cope with feeling like I was on actual drugs!! My favourite side effect of them was the 'bulging eyes', it looked like my eyes were going to pop out of my head and my friends and family found it hilarious, haha!
    “Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

That's a bit scary! I've read things where some people had no side effects at all! so never know until I start taking them, so have to warn people that I might be extra pathetic and anxious and to treat me gently. Are you on other meds now Lauren?

My sister and friend had no side effects at all and love them. Having a nausea wave at the mo its horrid so pacing the living room whilst typing. The nausea is like nothing ive experienced coz i feel like i could eat but get the tingling and claminess. I am gonna try stick them out but am dreading upping the dose. This evening my anxiety levels have risen but i can deal with that. Going to see how i am tomorrow and maybe try go for a walk.

Could my tolerance be low due to losing so much weight in a short space of time ive lost two stone in ten weeks thru anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
    I am on citalopram. I had some side effects like you experienced, but they went away quickly. Make sure you take it with a meal. I still always take it with dinner. Your body will get used to it. And it helped me tremendously!
    I totally agree you should stick with it I have been taking antidepressants (Trazadone) since last September and it has turned my life around to the point that I would say I am pretty much cured. I no longer fear v* or sv, just look upon it as something unplesant but the fear does not rule my life anymore. I can even enjoy alcohol now without fear of v* although I cannot drink too much due to the medication. the side effects should ease shortly and hopefully it will be well worth it if you stick with it. I also agree that you should try to take them with food as that does tend to lessen the side effects especailly n* good luck and all the best

Ive been taking them with food i dont know if id be best taking them at night instead of morning. Ive always had emet but its only recently its ruled my life. Its so frustrating. Did u have any other therapy julybabe? I am having emdr therapy which ive found useful but feel ive got as far as i can now without medication.

I started off on 10mg then went up to 20mg a fortnight later then doubled it again & have been taking 40mg for couple of years. I was lucky & never had any nasty side effects. My dr explained to me they were the least likely drug of this type to upset your stomach. Thinking back I took mine early evening at first cos they made me a bit dopey. Your body should have become accustomed to the drug before they up your dose therefore you shouldnt get side effects again.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper447 View Post
    That's a bit scary! I've read things where some people had no side effects at all! so never know until I start taking them, so have to warn people that I might be extra pathetic and anxious and to treat me gently. Are you on other meds now Lauren?
    A lot of people have no side effects on this medication but because of the type of medication it is, they are more likely. Apparently. I'm not on any medication for my Emet and Anxiety. 1, because I'm terrified of the side effects, (feeding the phobia, I know!) and 2, because I want to try and beat this phobia and I don't think I'll be able to do that if my anxiety is masked my meds, I don't want to lead myself into a false sense of security. That's only my opinion though. Believe me, there are times when I wish I was on all the medication in the world, just to block this thing out for a while!
    “Self confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. how can anyone see how awesome you are if you can’t see it yourself?”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm on meds because it makes it a little easier to deal with the anxiety. It doesn't get rid of the anxiety (well the ones I'm on currently don't) and I still get really anxious and have panic attacks but it means that it's not so overwhelming I can't challenge myself to do some of the things that scare me. And recently I've been stepping up my game and pushing myself, I hope that eventually I'll be able to cut down on the meds and eventually be med free adn still able to cope with everything it's a nice dream anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Whisper447 View Post
    I'm on meds because it makes it a little easier to deal with the anxiety. It doesn't get rid of the anxiety (well the ones I'm on currently don't) and I still get really anxious and have panic attacks but it means that it's not so overwhelming I can't challenge myself to do some of the things that scare me. And recently I've been stepping up my game and pushing myself, I hope that eventually I'll be able to cut down on the meds and eventually be med free adn still able to cope with everything it's a nice dream anyway!

I know what you mean with the meds for anxiety, thats the only reason i have gone on them.if i can control the anxiety then i can get back to work and start going out again and hopefully get the emet out of my everyday life again. Day 3 now and im not so far feeling as bad as yesterday, got an awful headache that nothing will shift had no nausea waves which was the main thing that has been concerning me.. Going to attempt a walk later i think see if i can get my mind off it.