Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Please someone help me cope

My 3 year old son is sick. My husband is two states away n I'm supposed to make a long drive tomorrow. He got sick this morning n I thought I was doing ok, but he just got sick again everywhere and I got most of it up. I mopped with a steam mop and put down bleach ahead of time. I have put him to bed after a bath n set him up with crackers n sprite but now what? I'm really freaking out. I think I handled myself well in front of him, but now I'm alone n feel like crying. I have so much anxiety. I'm almost sure a panic attack is coming on. Any words of wisdom are welcomed.

Default Re: Please someone help me cope

Ugh I'm sorry to hear that!! You handled it amazingly well it sounds like!!! It sounds like whatever is going on, is pretty mild (for him to only get sick twice in like 12 hrs).. Has he by chance had anything else going on? A friend of mine's son has allergies, and the mucus makes him get sick randomly when it's too much for his tummy.

Now, for the current panic/anxiety. Maybe put on a funny movie or tv show, something distracting. And breathe. Lay on your back preferably, and slowly breathe in through your nose, breathing in a way that your stomach expands before your lungs, and slowly, like you are smelling 100 roses. When you can't take anymore air in, hold it, and then with pursed lips, slowly blow out as if you are blowing out 100 candles. Slow is key. Do this until you are emptied of air. This type of breathing actually helps our bodies when we're in fight or flight mode (aka panic). Keep doing this. For thoughts- stop the cycle/downhill slide of thoughts that go from bad to worse. I have found what works for me is to interrupt myself mentally, because once you allow those thoughts it only will get worse and worse. For example, I say "I am okay. I'm not sick, I will be okay, this is not the end of the world, I am okay" etc. I find that by replacing the negative thoughts with logical, calm thoughts, it slows down the anxiety.

Whatever is wrong with your little one, chances are he will feel a good amount better by tomorrow! You can do this!!!

Thank you so much. I find that I am calmer now. Still a little anxious, but definitely calm. That helped tons!

I don't have kids so everything I can say is that I hope you won't get sick and that your son will be better soon :-)
    I can't imagine how hard is for you guys when your kids have sv. :/ really hope you are doing okay!
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."