Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My psychologist asked me today if I wanted to start EMDR. I told her I was very scared, so she told me to pick something about the phobia that I do or feel that is irritating at a 3 on a level of 1 to 10 (10 being worst.) So I said that I can't eat the parts of food that I've touched with my hands, like the tips of french fries. She then asked me why it's irritating and I said because people make fun of me about it. She asked how that makes me feel, and I said embarrassed. She asked where I felt the embarrassment, and I said in my stomach in a form of mild nausea. She then said how it all makes me feel and I said like a loser. So she repeated that to me and started moving her fingers from side to side. All I could think about was me getting dizzy, or fainting, or having a seizure. I told her that that is all I could think about during it and that was making me anxious. So now I don't know if I'll be able to f***ing handle EMDR. She is going to work on some things with me which will hopefully keep away the anxiety so I can do EMDR.

She also told me she'd provide me with a bucket during out sessions if I wanted one. I thought that was very caring of her.

Well, thats all. I'm just irritated that EMDR won't work for me now.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

Also: Sage, if you could respond to this and give me your opinion it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

There are other ways to treat a phobia, maybe you just arnt suited to that type of therapy and if you ask me its the shrink who needs the councilling not you. Seriously though ask her about other methods as there will be one out there that suits you. All the best with your treatment but get that shrink some help to. HA HA!

I know what EMDR is, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

But regarding what you wrote here: All I could think about was me getting dizzy, or fainting, or having a seizure.

I am wondering how come that is all you can think about? What do you suppose is going on there? I would see if I can get to the bottom of that with the therapist.

Why does it seem to you that the therapist needs help?

Quote Originally Posted by suzy.o
    There are other ways to treat a phobia, maybe you just arnt suited to that type of therapy and if you ask me its the shrink who needs the councilling not you. Seriously though ask her about other methods as there will be one out there that suits you. All the best with your treatment but get that shrink some help to. HA HA!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy.o

There is nothing wrong with my psychologist. She's perfect. Seems to know her stuff. So I strongly disagree with you on that.

dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

OOps, I think Ive put my foot in in havnt I. I said it mainly to get you laughing, however, I dont know why she moved her fingers side to side thats all and it sounded extreem.

Actually, that's the way EMDR is done (although there are other methods for stimulating Right/Left rapid eye movement). And she doesn't sound nuts or anything. What you described is a perfect EMDR protocol.

Here's the thing, hun. 99.999% of therapists JUST DON'T GET HOW SCARED WE ARE. Really - that's the total thing. They treat emetophobia like other phobias and it's not. It's much more severe. You may have to start with just the thought of EMDR, rather than the thought of touching french fries.

Although you described that feeling as a "3", it sounds more like it would be an 8 or 9 to me. Most emets "live" between 8 and 9... 24/7.My psychologist of 3 years finally figured out that what I'd been describing as 3, 4, or 5 were really 9.3, 9.4 or 9.5!! And so we backed waaaaaaaaaay up. Just being in his officewas areal 3! Once we started there, it got easier and easier.

Spend a session or two just crying with her over how scared you were to do the EMDR. Don't keep this information or these feelings to yourself. I know that's hard, but it's a bit factor in emet - we hide our emotions and the degree of terror we're experiencing so well, because we're sick of being ashamed of it. Thenthis becomes our worst enemy in therapy!

But all is not lost. You just need to take it much slower than most of her other clients - she'll come to understand that so long as you keep telling her how you feel. My most beloved therapist who facilitated my successful treatment told me like a year later that he was often freaked out at himself saying stuff like "she's not getting better - there must be something wrong with me" lol. So like - they're human too. And this is a rare disorder. Take it a bit slower, and you should eventually get good results.

Another thing you might try is to ask her if she can use tapping (on your palms or knees) rather than finger movements...because with tapping you have your eyes closed and you won't feel dizzy. That's how I did my EMDR...because I, too, felt very dizzy and then that freaked me out and then I got anxious and then....I freaked out...you know how that story goes round and round. [P.S. once I got better, I could do the EMDR with hand movements with no dizziness, so it WAS all anxiety...but that's pretty irrelevant]

Good luck, okay? And keep us posted!Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i was thnking about doing rapid eye movements stuff. how does t work?

i hope it helps you! you might as well try right? if you think that touching the ends of your fires with your fingers is more than a three tell her that. good luck
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

What is this rapid eye movement therapy? Is it successful?

Go to the Treatments thread and click on the sticky post at the top that says EMDR links.

It's not kooky - almost every therapist in business is trained in it now, or will be. It's becoming a standard technique that therapists from all disciplines use.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Cheers chic.