Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Am I the only one who can handle it when...

you know that the v* is being caused by something you cannot catch? Like I have two members of my family that have IBD (Crohn's) and I know that v* is a big part of that disease. I know that I can't catch anything from it, so I don't find myself freaking out at all if they get sick around me. Same goes if it is with my mom who suffers from severe GERD and is apt to v* if she eats too much, something that bothers her or if she does too much physical labor b/c of the pain. Ditto with my kids. IF they have something like strep throat (and mine always v* with that) and I know that I'm not likely to catch it, I can handle the v* no problem. It's only if I don't know for certain what is causing it or I KNOW that it is a sv* that I get freaked out. Am I alone in that?? Do you view that as a good thing, maybe a sign that one day I will have total control of this fear?? That's how I see it. Baby steps I guess.

Default Re: Am I the only one who can handle it when...

I only get mildly freaked out in those situations. I'm able to rationalize it after getting over the initial reaction. Even still, I'll usually do extra cleaning just in case.

I don't freak out at all if it isn't something I can catch. Seeing someone v doesn't really bother me. It's the thought that I can catch it.

Yep, my girlfriend has Celiac's and when she gets glutened she v*s A LOT. It bothers me to hear or see it, but I don't have panic attacks about it. I do ask her every time though, "Are you SURE you're not sick?"
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

I'm like that too. Well, I think most of us are like that. Everything is okay except when I know I can catch it >.<
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas629 View Post
    you know that the v* is being caused by something you cannot catch? Like I have two members of my family that have IBD (Crohn's) and I know that v* is a big part of that disease. I know that I can't catch anything from it, so I don't find myself freaking out at all if they get sick around me. Same goes if it is with my mom who suffers from severe GERD and is apt to v* if she eats too much, something that bothers her or if she does too much physical labor b/c of the pain. Ditto with my kids. IF they have something like strep throat (and mine always v* with that) and I know that I'm not likely to catch it, I can handle the v* no problem. It's only if I don't know for certain what is causing it or I KNOW that it is a sv* that I get freaked out. Am I alone in that?? Do you view that as a good thing, maybe a sign that one day I will have total control of this fear?? That's how I see it. Baby steps I guess.
    This is interesting. I'm scared of v* caused by something you CAN catch, because I fear I will catch that thing and be sick myself. BUUUUUUUUT, I ALSO fear of v* from something you CAN'T catch, and this is because I know that just watching someone be sick could make me be sick.

Other people throwing up doesn't really bother me that much anymore. I mean, I went to college lol. If I see osmoene throw up, it's like, pretty gross to me, but it's still whatever. If I find out later that someone puked from something contagious, I get nervous because I wasn't careful, etc. does that make sense?

I think that if I had an illness which involved a lot of vting, I`d seriously contemplate suicide because to me, a life like that wouldn`t be life at all, just a hellish existence!