Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Coping mechanisms?

Hi! Wondering how everyone copes with emetophobia.

The past few months have been especially tough for me. I tend to carry around antacids, xanax, a bottle of water, pretzels, a stress ball, and lavender oil. I've been avoiding eating out at restaurants and only eating food that's cooked at home or "safe". I'm also in the middle of changing anxiety medications, hoping that helps with a bit of OCD about the whole situation.
    When my psychiatrist diagnosed me with emetophobia, I started googling and came across this site. I'm so interested to know how some of you cope with it. Hoping I can find new coping mechanisms too!

Default Re: Coping mechanisms?

Just like majority of emetophobes I have all the usual coping mechanisms. You know, things like avoiding certain foods, avoiding public transport, washing hands etc.

But for me personally, I take anti-emetics every day, I always carry something sharp incase I have a panic attack and 'need to self-harm to stop it'... I constantly nibble on crackers to help n* and let me tell you if I run out of crackers it's the end of the world. I always sip ice cold water. I constantly swallow. I prod my stomach all the time. I will only drive when it's dark so that nobody can see me if I v* or have a panic attack. I punch my thighs until I can't walk. I hum because the vibrations in my throat seem to help me. These are the 'weird' ones that I can think of.

Then like I said I do all the same things everybody else does.

I get on here and read, it helps when I’m in a panic! I do NOT self harm in any way! I hope you don’t feel you need to!! I also wash before eating or after being in public, I don’t touch my face when in public, and I avoid touching certain things with my hands.

Always have mints with me. Try to talk myself down from major panic attacks and if these fail I take meds. Never self harmed thankfully. Also I come on this site. Sometimes I post other times I just browse

I keep a bunch of stuff with me like gas x clonzapam a notebook to write in, zofran (which I was prescribed for if I feel nauseous, it does work amazingly!), gum, and always always crackers. Sometimes for a coping mechanism i will pinch my hand just to ensure I feel it so let myself know that it is a panic attack. Sometimes after doing that it works or sometimes it doesn't. The time where it doesn't work usually means timing is the only thing that makes the panic attack go away.. eventually.