Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Free Therapy - Part of a Study

Hi Everyone,

There's a new study being done in San Diego, California, about emetophobia. People are randomly assigned to two groups to be studied: one group gets therapy, the other group gets put on a waiting list (but will eventually get the therapy). It's free to participate, so if you live there or can travel there for appointments, please take part in this study. Even if you have money for therapy! They need participants so let's spread the word.

Here's the link: http://lrwalker.net/specific-phobia-of-vomiting-study
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Free Therapy - Part of a Study

Wow!! That is great news. I wish I could participate but I live too far away. Hopefully there will be more studies to follow. So good to
    see emetophobia getting some attention.

Kickin'! I haven't been out west in awhile, but I would encourage anyone out that way to try it. What have you got to lose?!
    Life is so worth living.

That's fantastic! I hope they help loads of people. thanks for sharing this Sage!

That's awesome!! I hope some people are able to take advantage of this awesome opportunity!

You may find these links helpful!

I will be looking at flying to Cali, to try and get some more info on this. I am hoping this is a huge break through for us!

This thread could use a *bump*.

Oh my goodness, so glad I saw this! Looks like they are still looking for participants, I will be calling on Monday!

Awesome. Please keep us posted on the results of the study.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikko View Post
    Awesome. Please keep us posted on the results of the study.
    I'm part of this! I start September 29th here's to a cure guys!!

Congratulations! I am excited for you.

Aw I wish I would have seen this, it is closed now.

Has this study helped you?

Guys, I know it's many years later but I participated in this study and it helped me SO SOOO MUCH. Like unbelievable. My husband got sick like 3 months or so after I had finished therapy and I was perfectly functional and my anxiety was at like a level 2/10, which without the study, I would of probably had left the house. I don't know if any of you were able to read the published study, overall it definitely works, the only problem is that we gotta be consistent with the "homeworks" in order for our brain to keep reinforcing what we learn in therapy. My therapist did warn me about it. He told me even though our sessions were over, I had to continue implementing the exercises that he taught me coupled with breathing and relaxation since I had been used to this type of distorted thinking for so many years. Realistically speaking, if we have been terrified of this for many years (in my case over 10 years) we cannot expect to get all better in a few sessions, but those few sessions were life changing, I only had to continue doing them.....

Unfortunately, I was feeling so good that I forgot about it and got busy living the life without anxiety until I hit a big bump in my life 3 years later that caused me to regress. This was to be expected since I did not continue reinforcing the exposures. Anyway, my regression happened about a year ago and I got back to the therapist and since the bump in my life brought me GAD and depression, he focused on that and my emetophobia subsided along. As I'm typing this I'm feeling great, and ready to re-start with the exposures as I was taught.

There is always hope everyone!