Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Airsickness?

Default Airsickness?

You you ever hit turbulence on a plane and get scared that you'll throw up? I was on a flight from Frankfurt, Germany to Los Angeles, California and over Greenland, there was horrible turbulence that woke me up, I checked on the girl im in love with but it aint mutual, then it hits even stronger aand the whole plane is shaking up and down, and side to side and all over the place,. It was like a 10 minute long 9.5 mag. earthquake and people started lining up to v* in the washrooms. Luckily I had a window seat and I'm not prone to airsickness but another girl who sat 2 seats away from me in an isle seat almost got sick but she calmed down and she felt fine, and a few rows back, this one girl was hung over from doing shots with the Canadian group the night before and she v* at the airport and on the plane, but there were NO air sickness bags on the plane, other than that, Lufthansa is a pretty nice airline to fly, but has anyone been in a situation like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Airsickness?

Good grief! No airsick bags?! That freaks me out! Where are you supposed to just in case?! Just having those bags lessons my panic. A lady once told me there where no bags on her flight from Australia too - and I didn't really believe her because it sounded insane! O.k, rant over. Yes I worry about turbulence and I take lorazpram to help my nerves/anxiety.

Flights from FRA to LAX don't go over Greenland; if turbulence were so bad that the plane were shaking, they wouldn't let people leave their seats and "wait in line" to throw up in the lavs. And it really seems implausible that there were no barf bags on board.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Yes, that happened to me on a military flight. The pilots thought it would be really funny to hit every air pocket they could and we were having some really large drops. I was seated next to an extremely stinky person and v*ed. They also did not provide b* bags. After that they did though! And somehow the pilots found a way to make the rest of the flight smooth. I have never felt sick on a commercial flight.
    Last edited by Grace47; 05-03-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: misspelling

Surrey, ENGLAND / Huntington Beach CA, USA

People couldn't line up to v* in the washrooms. The seatbelt signs would have been on had it been that bad. Also, i fly London to LA about 7-8 times a year and I have NEVER experienced turbulence over Greenland in 15+ years. It is too far north over the jet stream and the cold air is too low in energy. That is why planes fly that way. One of my wifes friends is an air stewardess for Virgin Atlantic and she said that people dont really v* on planes anymore as the modern day traveller is too experienced, weather detection is so strong, and the planes are more technologically advanced. Sounds a bit like a dramatised film scene if you ask me.

[QUOTE=damienuk;476682] 'people dont really v* on planes anymore as the modern day traveller is too experienced'

I personally do not think I am experienced nor do I think many of my friends and family are either really. People still get travel sick, some no matter how many times they have flown.

I don't/rarely fly. It's a "stem" phobia from my emetophobia. But you may like to know that on my last flight experience in summer 2012, from London Heathrow to Paris Orly, then Paris Orly to Roland Garros, Réunion (a 45 minute and 10 and a half hour flight respectively), and back, although after the first long-haul flight I felt VERY sick because I had this mucus-y lump in my throat that wouldn't go away when I swallowed, I never vomited, and it seemed on the flight/flights back I was fine.

BUT............ I will always avoid flying, because on those flights, the tilting, turbulence and G-forces on the plane (on takeoff especially) scared me to an extreme level. I was spazzing out in my seat and gripping other seats and other objects very hard and was extremely uncomfortable. I think it was also my agoraphobia that caused this.

I've had to fly for work and the things I do to try to make sure I'm not sick are crazy! An hour before my flight I take allergy medicine that makes you drowsy. A small amount of OTC sleeping pills, Dramamine and anxiety medicine. Then I do the same right before I get on the plane. (I don't even know if any of this helps) also I wear sea bands and book a window seat. Then I run to the bathroom every five minutes before I finally board the plane to make sure I'm ok.
    And as far as AmericanAdams story goes, none of us were there so we shouldn't tell him what did or didn't happen. We're here to help each other not tell them what they're sharing isn't true.