Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Proof That One Can Recover From Emetophobia

I wanted to share with you guys a triumph that I would have never imagined possible.

A few years ago I was at my worst point. I was even afraid to leave my house, but I forced myself to. Panic attacks were a nightly thing, I was scared to sleep, the whole nine yards. Fast forward to yesterday. I visited a friend who has been diagnosed with a super rare disease. This illness has prevented him from holding down any food or water since October 5th. That's 7 months of him vomiting multiple times a day. I didn't even think twice about going to spend time with him. I wasn't nervous when he was there, not when he burped and not when he needed tums.

I'm really proud of myself. I wanted to share with you all so you knew there is hope for recovery!
    Last edited by asianeko; 05-03-2013 at 09:44 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Proof That One Can Recover From Emetophobia

I love you miss, this was beauty-ful!

Poor fellow I can't even begin to imagine what that might be like.

Most of us don't feel as frightened around those who are not contagious. When I did some waitressing & bartending (especially the bartending), there were sick people aha. It wasn't as bad.

Still, I've seen where you've come from progress wise, and you've done excellent!
    Life is so worth living.

I agree, knowing that I can't catch it is helpful. Then again, I'm more scared of others being sick than I am of myself being sick. They just sound so miserable

But yeah, this guy is a tough cookie. He's been pretty much starving to death very slowly. He has Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome. There have only been 500 documented cases since it was discovered in the 1800s. It has a 1 in 3 mortality rate. And this guy keeps pushing on. His coordination is a but off due to the malnutrition and he has some depression and anxiety due to it, but he seems fairly optimistic. I can't even imagine being sick so much.

A list of people who are my heroes. I love it when they do that!
    Life is so worth living.

Bonnie, I got curious and looked up that problem on Wikipedia. It appears there are surgical and other treatments for it. It sounds like an awful problem and I really hope your friend can get it taken care of!

And yes it's great that you can be with him without any anxiety! Bravo!

David

Yeah, he's under the care of some wonderful doctors, currently undergoing treatment. It's still a very slow process.

Oooh, I've seen the things you've posted about your friend on facebook. I'm so glad they've figured out what the problem is! Does the treatment seem to be working?
    Come visit my history blog:

It's too soon to really tell. He still hasn't seen any changes. I'll keep you updated!