Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hello, i知 new

I'm 19, female and From London, and for as far back as i can remember i've always hated, the idea of being sick. Hate isn't a strong enough word...the idea of throwing up has put me off doing things in life, which to other people are completly normal...such as being in enclosed spaces, drug/cigerette use, excessive drinking, staying away from home, moving out, using planes, busses (travel sick) and going on boats.

It takes up my life because i feel like a wimp...like a child, like i cant get drunk like most people because i am too afraid of throwing up afterwards. It sounds like such a silly reason to most people. My best friend understands what i'm like, and shes really good, but i feel that when i move away from he (this september) that i wont have someone who will be there for me, not judge me when i start feeling sick. Usually when i say i feel sick, i need to sit outside with something i trust, (either my dad, boyfriend or friend,) and after a while i calm down. The irony of it all is, that i am rarely ever sick, so it's embarassing getting all wound up about it for nothing.

The other night my bf came home after throwing up at a friends house over 30 times, so i got him a bucket and went to sleep downstairs..even though he has his room next to me i couldnt stand the thought of hearing him during the night. I was hoping it was food poisining as i was so paranoid i could catch a bug from him. I can't sit with people whilst theyre sick, and it hurts me because i dont want to let my friends down, when i know most of them would sit with me if i asked them too.

Well, don't know if any of the above makes sense, i just wanted to get that all out!! Thanks for reading guys,

Fiona[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]Edited by: fifitrixibell

heya Fiona.

i certainly share a lot of ur characteristics you described there and stick around the site you will see how much we all have in common.

welcome to the site and i'm glad u found us.

btw, are u going to a university or something this September? i'm 18 and shud be going to uni this sept too but the emet was too strong to even let me do that ... for fear of seeing people v*.

how much this fear tkes over our lives....

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

heya Fiona.

i certainly share a lot of ur characteristics you described there and stick around the site you will see how much we all have in common.

welcome to the site and i'm glad u found us.

btw, are u going to a university or something this September? i'm 18 and shud be going to uni this sept too but the emet was too strong to even let me do that ... for fear of seeing people v*.

how much this fear tkes over our lives....

Jen xxx

I am already at University in London, and i usually commute from home to uni, but iv'e decided to move out, because i think i'll get more work done that way. I'm really really nervous, but i know it's something i have to do! I used to miss quite a few lectures, either because i was late or fear of being sick. I know it sounds weird but being round hundreds of people, knowing that ifi did feel ill, it would me embarassing to leave just made me feel even worse! So this time, i'm hoping living with other students will force me to attend 100% of the time.

I think there is a huge rumour that people go wild at university, but according to my friends who lived on campus, it really isn't like that. If you look at halls of residence, you can choose to live somewhere where it's more separated from other people. I wish you the best of luck anyway. Out of interest, which uni are you thinking of going too? I am at Goldsmiths, although i dont think anyone will of heard of it...

Fiona

Welcome to the site! Be sure to visit the Treatments thread and check out all the information on sticky posts at the top.

Don't worry - you're not crazy, or uncompassionate. It's just the disorder, and we all share or have shared your symptoms too.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

i have heard of Goldsmiths! what are u studying there? tht was one i was looking at anyway... i am very close to London myself so if u want to get to know each other better (if u have MSN or nething) maybe one day we can meet up in London. i'd just love to meet another emetophobe. i have only once, she was an adult who didn't tell me about her emetophobia herself and i didn't feel confidernt enough to confront her with it.

anyway, it's a good step u r taking moving away from home.i wish u the best of luck with it.

but as i said, do u have MSN or something? my contact details can be found in my signature, hope to hear from u soon.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Hello, I'm new too.

V.glad i found this site. I've believed for some time now that I have Emetophobia, as occasionally i get worried that I'm going to be sick. If I have a day where I do feel sick, I'mreluctant to eat anything, and this throws me off course to eat (because I feel ill even more from not eating). It only happens occasionally, so I don't know if it's as severe as some I am reading about on here, but i know that it is there in the back of my mind. I also associate with some people on here who have mentioned that they are afraid to drink incase they make themselves ill afterwards. I don't tend to drink as much as my mates at uni incase this happens, and i won't eat certain foods incase I get food poisoning.

I have briefly read a couple of other people's experiences, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone, and I don't appear to be as severe as I thought.

I'm glad i found this site!

Laura x