Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the stupidest thing you've done because of your emet?

So I am out of town visiting relatives this weekend. We are staying at a hotel. I have been feeling out of sorts all week but I've been able to manage. I didn't eat much today but had some pizza for dinner which was sooo good. It felt a bit heavy on my stomach but I figured a good sleep would help me forget about it. But no, I woke up suddenly feeling very sick and started to panic. Then I started to feel claustrophobic and had to get the hell out of the hotel room. I quickly got dressed with my family looking at me like I was a crazy woman bolting out of there like a bat out of hell in the middle of the night. I took the elevator downstairs and started walking around the hotel (dark alleys and all), freezing in just jeans and a cardigan in 7° (45°F) weather. What kind of crazy idiot person goes walking outside half-frozen in a strange city in the middle of the night because she feels*sick? I loathe being around people when I feel sick or panicky; I'd much rather suffer alone. I was actually going to sleep in the car in the parking lot. It's days (nights) like these that make me look at myself and wonder when I'll ever be able to function like a normal person. So tired of this.

Default Re: What is the stupidest thing you've done because of your emet?

There are too many dumb things I have done to list them all! I don't think what you did was weird maybe not the smartest thing to do in the dark alone but I totally get it, I have been there. Don't beat yourself up sometimes we do what we have to just to cope with this fear.

Yip, your words have mirrored my experiences too! I totally feel the same and its like a trapped and unsafe feeling to be away from my home/toilet etc. but just because you are away does not mean you are going to get sick. Hopefully I can realize this too! I presume that in the end you didnt get sick? I tell myself that -'just because I feel sick, doesn't mean I am sick'. In fact my feelings lie all the time, especially about v*, my feelings tell me any little niggle is bad, but its not, its just my body working.

Oh, but to answer your question - yes, too many to name . But one thing is on the last night of our family owning our farm, they were all camped out at our house on the farm. I just couldnt handle it after being out for celebratory dinner and only having one toilet in our house, so I walked down our farm track to my parents cleared out house and slept in the hall by bathroom - just to be alone. It was a stressful time and all with the farm sale and all in our house, but the fresh air on the walk was so good, and the quiet of the old house was immediately soothing, but still feel stupid about it.

This one is easy! My answer is waste every single day worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Continue to worry about it and let it ruin so many times that could have been happy but Instead were anxiety filled and bad.

However, working towards getting better and will not be living like this forever! Please believe it!

Hey there! I am new to this forum, I've been reading all of you guys, and I decided to register today. I will introduce myself in the right section.

I will tell you my stupidest thing surrounding the emet. *can be graphic for some people*

We were on vacation (my family and I). We were in Brazil, and the weather had been terribly hot those days. One morning my brother (older than me) woke up and he was feeling bad, he was pale and could hardly speak. My mom and dad woke up as well and saw him sitting at the table in the dinning room. I was just there, standing still...

My mom and dad asked what happened to him, what did he feel.
    And he tried to stand up from the chair and said: -"I'm going to the sofa... I'm gonna...."

I didn't want to hear the rest of it, at that moment I just ran off the house, onto the street -wearing my piyamas, yes, my piyamas- ....
    Covering my ears with my hands... Without knowing what actually happened...

After ten minutes or so, I came back, thinking that if he v*, should have passed by then.

I found him laying on the sofa, with his legs up. My mom and dad beside him, looked at me and said: -"Nothing happened, he didn't do *it*, he just passed out because of the dehydration"

I felt so bad I couldn't help him!!
    He is my brother and I love him so much... Imagine what would've happened if we were alone... And he passed out, and I had run away before he could tell me that he was going to faint... He could have hurt himself on the ground and I would not have been there for him

Sorry for the long message, I hope this wasn't too graphical for any of you.

I walked out into traffic when my friend got crazy drunk and v*d after leaving a bar where his going away party took place. It's amazing to think back that, at that very moment, I would have rather gotten hit by a car than be anywhere near what was happening. Can our brains really to that to us???

Sort of a funny one to think about afterwards: when I was younger, probably 10 or so, I was woken up by the sound of my brother v*ing (which is the worst for me because you can't even prepare yourself for that). While my parents were tending to my sick brother, I scurried off into the garage with my pillow and I slept in my mom's car. Apparently neither of my parents saw me because they went completely nuts trying to figure out where I went! Again, sort of funny to think about years later, but to this day, waking up to the sound of someone sick is the worst.

OMG PUNCHBUGGY SUMMED UP EMET

Myself-Other than wasting part of my life worrying and destroying an engagement, I would have to say almost knocking someone over getting out of the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

The stupidest thing I have ever done? Probably joined this site. All in all, I come on here to help people but if I read too much panic I end up feeling worse. I remember the last time I nearly vomited was before I joined here, I got through it and moved on as soon as it was over. If only I didn't feel an insistent need to log on here every now and then I wouldn't use this account any more. I don't mean to be controversial or rude, I just don't think any of us can rely on this place forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    The stupidest thing I have ever done? Probably joined this site. All in all, I come on here to help people but if I read too much panic I end up feeling worse. I remember the last time I nearly vomited was before I joined here, I got through it and moved on as soon as it was over. If only I didn't feel an insistent need to log on here every now and then I wouldn't use this account any more. I don't mean to be controversial or rude, I just don't think any of us can rely on this place forever.
    Same. The only reason I still log on is because of some great members on here, and slight sense of community. though even that is diminishing

You're not being controversial at all, and certainly not rude, so don't worry! I really agree with you. This might be a good place to share stories and stuff, but it's certainly not good if you want to kick the phobia.

Michelle, I agree, I come on here for my friends on here, to help people when I can and the slight sense of community which still exists.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When my brother had as stomach flu I just stayed out of the house. He isn't emet and gets sick every now and then from like food poisoning, or hangovers, and I hate having to hear him. I just have to leave the house.

Another, so far, totally unnecessary precaution is that I always have my trash can near my bed in case I wake up with a sudden urge to v*
    I can't even look when I'm v*ing I need someone with me while I have my eyes clothes. And of course I usually end up asking if it as a lot right after. Ugh I'm pathetic.
    Nerd Girl just looking for Nerd Friends!

After getting ill in front of a busload of my schoolmates, I tried to do a dance number on the side of the road I got sick on to make it seem okay. Passerbys probably thought I was smashed.
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by sdfl View Post
    After getting ill in front of a busload of my schoolmates, I tried to do a dance number on the side of the road I got sick on to make it seem okay. Passerbys probably thought I was smashed.
    I have the funniest mental picture of you doing the Riverdance in the middle of the dirt-hahaha! Good for you for acting nonchalant (even if you weren't on the inside!). That took a lot of strength!

When I was about 15, in July my grandparents did a big summer road trip from Illinois to Seattle in their motorhome and picked up my uncle and his family. From there, they drove down the coast to come stay with us in AZ. Anyhow, they stopped at KFC the day before making it to our 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. Needless to say, 3 family members were sick the first night they got to our house and had to take turns in our bathroom. I couldn't take it and slept outside on the patio. AZ in the
    Summer is outrageously hot; in the middle of the night it doesn't get below 100. I also got eaten alive by Mosquitos but at least I didn't have to listen to everyone!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I quit school, my parents just think I'm lazy. They don't know I have this phobia, I mean my mom knows that it bothers me a lot but I don't think she realizes just how bad it is. As I had already missed quite a bit of school because I'm always getting sick with whatever cold is going around then and I also get migraines that can keep me out of school for a couple days even after they've gone away I was falling quite behind in school. I also have a lot of stomach issues, they've never made me v* before but I am often afraid that they will. So one day in school (after I had told my mom I was too sick to go and she made me anyway) I was sitting in class and felt like I was going to v* so I asked to leave and even though nothing happened I freaked out, I missed close to 4 weeks of school after that and when I went back I kept skipping the class that it happened in and eventually I was way to behind to keep doing what I was doing. I ended up in full time cyber school, I think that that's the stupidest thing I've ever done because of my emetophobia, I feel like I'm missing out on my high school experience because of it, I haven't left the house in months except to go to doctors appointments (my aforementioned stomach problems have been acting up making everything worse) and I haven't even talked to any of my friends, this is my junior year and it's almost over, my mom won't let me go back to regular school next year because she is afraid the same thing would happen, so yeah, that's the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I think the main stupid thing about this phobia is that it affects other people like my family and friends. I can understand that it may seem stupid or ridiculous to others but no one really understands just how hard it is and that it is a real phobia. But it also upsets me that it's not just me that it affects badly - it's everyone close to me and it stops me leading a normal life as it is a continuous worry that I think about pretty much all the time.

But for a particular stupid event caused by this is probably when I was out with a large group of friends for someone's birthday and we sat in a busy bar and I put my drink down on a table in the corner where no one was sitting. To my horror someone who worked there came up to me and said there was a reason no one was sat there and that it's because there was a leak from the ceiling from the toilets upstairs...he said it wasn't just water! I then looked at the table and there was a bucket on the table with splashes around it...where my drink was...which I had been drinking. First thoughts - I'm gonna get E.Coli and die. I had a full blown panic attack, couldn't breathe, I was hysterical and no one could calm me down. It was pretty embarrassing as everyone thought something must be tragically wrong and I felt bad that I had caused such a drama.

BUT - I survived and I didn't get sick

Quote Originally Posted by punchbuggy View Post
    This one is easy! My answer is waste every single day worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. Continue to worry about it and let it ruin so many times that could have been happy but Instead were anxiety filled and bad.

However, working towards getting better and will not be living like this forever! Please believe it!
    This! A million times over.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

I agree with this also. It can be a crutch... and one that makes you even worse. Conversely, it can be very helpful.. but sometimes.. not so much.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

I think for me it was the first time my son ever v* I called him an ambulance then called social services on myself and told them I was an unfit mother because I couldn't look after my son if he v* ! That was pretty stupid ... Luckily for me the social worker on the end of the phone had a daughter who suffers emet and calmed me down! I dread to think what might have happened if I'd got someone else on the phone ! Panic attacks make me totally irrational !

Thank you for this thread. Shame and embarrassment go hand-in-hand with this stupid phobia.

I spent nights outside in the snow in my socks as a child when my mom was sick. One time when I was sick, I stayed outside because other people in my house were sick too! Dumbbbbb...

In high school, I was put in a psych ward because I washed my hands until they bled during an outbreak of illness. When the nurses asked why I was there and I said "fear of vomiting," they laughed.

I used to hold my breath when walking down crowded halls "just in case" someone was sick. Okay, I still do that sometimes!

Ive done many of stupid things when it comes to this phobia. I would say the stupidest things I've done and one of my biggest regrets is not going to my Family reunion last year. The family gets together and goes camping for four days at a lake back in Texas. We have one like every year and I hadn't been able to go cuz I lived out of state but the year I finally get to go my emet was in full force. My grandma was there and was real sick but I was to scared to go. I wanted to see her because it had been years since I had seen her. She ended up passing away a few weeks later. I hate myself for letting this phobia get in my way of things that are important. Ill never get the chance to make up for that.

oh I have done some ridiculous things ib the heat of a panic attack.
    One that's not particularly embarrassing but one I feel really bad about is back when I was in secondary school.
    I was sat in class when someone the other side of the table suddenly wretched and looked like the were going to v*, anyway the class rooms in my school are quite small and crowded so I couldn't run.
    now I can never be able to explain the logic behind this and I assure you I paid the consequences, basically I thought that I could shock him out of v*ing.

so to do that I thought throwing something at him would work, so I did, he wasn't actually ill...
    I kinda feel really bad about that, I went through the rest of school being accused of being really aggressive.

thankfully he didn't hold it against me for too long but nobody deserves to have things thrown at them.
    Last edited by LostNoob; 06-10-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: clicked post before finishing the post oops

Well... Once me and my boyfriend were hanging out... And well I made him wipe his whole body off with Wet Ones before I would touch him or kiss him. yeah it ruined the mood. But we can laugh about it now thank goodness lol

The stupidest thing I used to do was if anyone was ill at school I used to pretend I was ill so I could get away from the area it happened and away from the school. I missed school because of this until my mum realised what was happening an the patterns of it all. But being sent home was the only way I felt safe an being near my mum comforted me.

I know how you feel. I'm never ill in front of my family or friends if I can help it. The way I react is not nice weather its me or someone else. I have to be alone when this happens. But sometimes you do need someone around. My family luckily support me with my phobia and understand what stresses i go through. But most of the time if i feel ill i make sure i am away from people and kept well alone.

man the stupidest thing ive ever done was after one night of drinking...I was driving home and I was feeling real nauseous! while driving I end up calling my ex gf asking her to call the ambulance because I was about to throw up!!!! I was scared out of my mind. so I pull over at some random street and I run into the middle of the street vomiting in FEAR and waving my hands for HELP as cars go by. it was like 4AM...nobody helped, they probably thought I was on drugs or something lol... but damn that was stupid and embarrassing!!! HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!

There is no end to the list of stupid things I have done because of this phobia, I quit school, college, broke up with girls, quit jobs, quit bands, tried to suffocate myself, lost contact with friends... the list goes on. Can't say what the stupidest was, they all had bad consequences.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Well tons of things but in particular I remember once, years and years ago when I was maybe 12 or 13 (I'm 19 now) my mom and I were in Minnesota for Christmas vacation to stay with our family. I was staying with my aunt and cousin (just for one or two nights) while my mom was staying with my grandma, because she's allergic to cats (and they had a cat). So I'm sitting downstairs doing homework and my cousin and her friend are in her room and her step-dad comes down and was like "she just threw up, gotta get the bucket!" and he said it really jollily cause that's how he is haha. So I have a major panic attack and grab my shoes and coat and run outside and just start walking...mind you it's like Minnesota in the middle of winter, so it's probably like 10 degrees out and about 3 feet of snow on the ground and I'm just crying and walking in circles and then I get a call from my mom who says my aunt is looking for me and she's really panicked, but I'm crying saying I don't want to go back in cause she was sick and I'm afraid I will be too. So I think my mom must've called my aunt back and said I was scared because my cousin was sick but anyway...I eventually went back in and my aunt had to hug me and be like "it's okay, you won't get sick" and somehow I managed to sleep (no idea how). Lol. I've done a lot of crazy things over the years though. It scared me even more because she said she felt sick again the next day...

I haven't read the other replies yet, though I will. As I write this it is 2 a.m. and I am sitting downstairs as I felt sick. I will often go out at odd times, even in the cold, just to walk, I guess its a kind of escape thing. I wouldn't consider it a stupid or dumb thing to do>

My stupidest thing I've done was take over 120mg of Promethazine (Sublingually and Orally) because my cousin puked on me last year. I didn't care to think, I just took them. THe sensation was very terrifying so I def regretted that.