Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question "If you've already had diarrhea, you probably won't v*"

I see a lot of people claim that having d* (due to FP*, SV*, whatever) means you're unlikely to v* as well. In other words, if it's coming out one "end" it probably won't come out the other.

I'm feeling fine right now, but just wondering about this. Is it true? and if so, why?

If it's true, I think it would be somewhat reassuring for many of us! Although d* is no fun, I'd bet that everyone here would prefer it to v*!

Default Re: "If you've already had diarrhea, you probably won't v*"

No, it's not true. Alot of people get it out both ends (ugh.). Some get only vomiting, and some get only diarrhea. Some get both!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

You'd be surprised! Some people have a fear of both. That being said, there is no guarantee which end it will come out of when you're sick. Having one does not decrease the likelihood of the other if your intestines will react that way. The good news is, some people are able to keep it out the backdoor only.
    Life is so worth living.

I know that you *can* get both, regardless of which happens first. However, I'm asking if it's *less likely* for a person to V* once they already started having D*.

I'd like to say yes, but from personal experience, that is not the case. Luck of the draw my friend
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by k10 View Post
    I see a lot of people claim that having d* (due to FP*, SV*, whatever) means you're unlikely to v* as well. In other words, if it's coming out one "end" it probably won't come out the other.

I'm feeling fine right now, but just wondering about this. Is it true? and if so, why?

If it's true, I think it would be somewhat reassuring for many of us! Although d* is no fun, I'd bet that everyone here would prefer it to v*!
    Basically if you have diarreah for say 8 hours, it means the worst part (start) of the virus has taken hold and from then on your body mounts a defence and you start slowly feeling better. therefore if you brain hasn't engaged it vomiting mechanism by then, it is very unlikely it will, as the virus is in a decline and therefore your immune system does not need to start the vomiting cycle to remove the virus. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchy_jon View Post
    Basically if you have diarreah for say 8 hours, it means the worst part (start) of the virus has taken hold and from then on your body mounts a defence and you start slowly feeling better. therefore if you brain hasn't engaged it vomiting mechanism by then, it is very unlikely it will, as the virus is in a decline and therefore your immune system does not need to start the vomiting cycle to remove the virus. Hope that makes sense.
    This is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Wow, I had no idea it worked that way. When we all had it back in 2008 it was diarrhea for twenty-four hours followed by the dreaded you-know-what. I hope I didn't sound like the bearer of bad news before
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by sdfl View Post
    You'd be surprised! Some people have a fear of both.
    I dislike d* too, bu guess that is probably normal rite!

Default Re: "If you've already had diarrhea, you probably won't

I've had d* for a few hours that turned to v*. I have to say though, as much as I dread v* it relieves nausea so much better than d*!

This is not true.. as said above, it's really the luck of the draw. I've had two sv's this past season. One where n started for 2 hours, d for an hour, then v soon after. The second one was on and off n and d, both pretty sporadic but it went on for a week.

My indicator, actually, is always the recurring watery d. That's how I know I might be sick. But it's different with every virus and every person!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It differs each time. I had two instances in which I was having d* all day, then got n* but never v*. I have also had an sv* where I v* 3x then had a d* off and on throughout the next couple days. Also, I once had some strange illness in which I had one bout of d*, felt better, then got n* like 5 hours later, had dry heaves for about an hour, then v* once. I was completely fine the next day though so I dunno if that case was an sv* or something else. It was a super hot day and I hadn't been drinking much water, so it could've been heat stroke. But yeah, I'd say not always, but in most cases, the v* comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by xxsophiaxx View Post
    I'd say not always, but in most cases, the v* comes first.
    This is what I thought too.. Thanks

Most of the times I've had a sv when I v'd, I did it before I had d. Most of the time I don't have the v'ing. But, when I caught it last summer, I had d for 3 hours before I v'd. So, it can happen. My husband also had d first, but only once before he started v'ing 15 minutes later.

When I had an sv in December 2011 I started with d* first and held off the v* for hours. I only v*d once but I believe that's because I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance (handcuffed at first, too, fun stuff, not)for being danger to self and I v*d there and then they gave me Zofran every 8 hours for 3 days.

But yeah just because d* comes first does not mean v* will not come after..

I agree that it varies from person to person but from my experiences the v* usually comes first. I had an sv* last year and I v*d twice at night and didn't have any d* until the next afternoon, same with my little bro when he had it this March
    Probably depends on the person and the virus

This is a very interesting question because ever since I was a kid, this has been exactly the reasoning that was in my head, whether it makes sense or not. Every single time, if I felt sick and had d*, I would be so thankful that it wasn't v*. If anything, having d* would greatly calm me down psychologically, even if it didn't make me feel any better physically. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that the psychological element alone may have actually prevented me from v*ing on many occasions because I wasn't sitting there worrying myself crazy about it.

When I talk to people in chat, if they have had d for 12 hours or something, I am thinking that their body is reacting by d.. and not v.. and v.. should not happen. Just kinda gage how their body had been reacting to the bug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I've actually had both d- and v- together when I had the sv. I even accidentally mistaken a fart for d-, then you know what happened next. It was kinda hard for me to keep in the d- when I was v-ing, but over all it wasn't that bad of a experience. It only stays for a short while then bye bye! The sleep is amazing too!