Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dealing with setbacks

So I'm just two sessions away from completing my CBT and for the most part my progress has been great. Something I'm just awful at handling though are the setbacks.

Tonight for example. I'm wide awake all because I felt a bit tingly and my brain associated it with vomiting, and before I could rein it in, I lost control and am now shaking, crying and begging my body to not be sick.

I know setbacks are normal during recovery but I can't help feeling they shouldn't be this dramatic.

Help?

Default Re: Dealing with setbacks

Sometimes its 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Sometimes its 5 steps back. But YOU are in control, you can get those steps back! It doesnt rule you You are strong and healthy both mentally and physically and you are stronger than this fear Keep your chin up! x

Setbacks are normal. You didn't get to be they way you are overnight nor will you be cured overnight. Are you better than you were a year ago? Focus on the progress you've made. You'll be back to where you were soon!

Mrs.Fox....setbacks are difficult to handle and hard to understand...dont try to figure out the reason why....just know that you are in the driver seat...dont let the OCD/Anxiety part of this phobia win...sometimes it tries to take over just when you feel as if you have it beat...that part of your mind doesn't like for you to challenge it and it certainly doesn't like it if you are winning!
    After reading your posts and reading your postive thoughts I know you are a winner!!! Dont get down on yourself...you got this!!!

Thank you all for the lovely comments, I'm getting SO much better at handling my night time anxiety-nausea. I used to wake my husband up the minute it got severe, but for the past few weeks I've handled it myself and for the most part calmed myself down relatively quickly compared with just a couple of months ago. It's a slow old road!