Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Eating healthy because of Emetophobia

Does anyone else tend to eat healthier to avoid stomach aches? I'm vegetarian, I never eat fast food. I rarely drink soda, overeat, or eat greasy/processed/fried food. All because I want to avoid stomach aches. I also avoid "high risk" foods for food poisoning.

I know some people avoid eating in general, which is bad, but for me the silver lining is the healthy diet. Of course, emet isn't the only reason I choose to eat the things I do, but it's certainly a factor.

Anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: Eating healthy because of Emetophobia

I definitely do this same thing. I've never tried sushi because of this reason, and I don't think I ever will. I automatically tell people I don't like sushi. I'll avoid a lot of seafood because to me, it just spells "sickness." I will admit that I'm not the healthiest, but I also don't eat fast food. I'm also one to never combine weird combinations of foods. For example, my one friend will go to Wawa and get an iced mocha coffee drink and eat a buffalo chicken hoagie with it. NO WAY for me. That just sounds like something that would make you v*. I never combine weird things. I think that's why I drink a lot of water because I know that water goes with anything. Eating healthier definitely makes you feel safer. I personally feel as though I could never get sick from fruits and veggies. Maybe if they were bad, but of course I am one to inspect everything I put into my mouth. I always smell the milk if it's one day past the date on the gallon. If the milk smells funny at all, I won't use it. My mom thinks I'm wasting milk when I want to pour it down the drain because she'll eat/drink anything. But I won't risk it. And whenever I hear of someone who got food poisoning and I know what they ate, I'll try to personally avoid eating that same food. A girl from my Rome trip got a burger from the Hard Rock Cafe and apparently got food poisoning from it. Now I feel as though I never want to order a burger from anywhere, even though I have before. It's crazy how I think sometimes, but I've had this mindset for so long that it's almost a natural reaction. I am not a vegetarian, but I have considered it. Either way, I don't eat a lot of meat. And if I do eat meat, it's usually chicken, and I always make sure it's cooked all the way. Sometimes I wonder if I should ever eat out anywhere anymore because I'll never be sure how clean the kitchen is or if they cook the food all the way. So yes, I definitely feel like you.

I've been vegetarian way longer than I've been emetophobic (coming up on ten years vegetarian, three or four with emetophobia), but I've been working my way toward veganism. (I'd be there already if I still had a job, but I'm semi-reliant on my parents at the moment.) I don't have a gallbladder and have a history of reflux, so I'm especially careful about what I eat. I rarely drink soda. If I do, it's likely ginger ale. I've been known to go a day or so without eating if I have any pain or know I've been exposed, and when I do eat, it's almost always raw vegan or something like bread or crackers; they're my safe foods. I've become quite the kombucha and kefir guzzler, too, and I've been known to drink apple cider vinegar concoctions. I pop herbal supplements like candy. The employees at my local Whole Foods notice when I wear my hair differently heh.

Yes, I am the same. Rarely eat fast food and rarely eat meat because of worries about fp, and also because meat is more expensive and we are on a budget. I cook lots of bean-based and egg-based dishes for my family, and we eat lots of fruit and veggies also. Before my emet got bad, I used to do taco bell and sonic drive thrus all the time. Since I quit doing drive thrus 2 yrs ago, I have lost around 20 lbs, in spite of having another baby. A healthier diet has been the one silver lining in this phobia for me.

I have sushi, but only kinds without fish in them (veggie rolls, cucumber rolls, peanut avocado rolls, sweet potato rolls) so you can definitely still have sushi and be "safe!"

But cool, I'm glad there are others who agree

Quote Originally Posted by sxr View Post
    I pop herbal supplements like candy. The employees at my local Whole Foods notice when I wear my hair differently heh.
    What supplements do you take? I take a ton as well.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

I'm afraid I'm one of the ones who don't eat healthy. I'm real picky, and I hardly eat fruits or vegetables. I don't like to drink plain water. I drink soda or Gatorade and sometimes tea. With all the stories about e.coli in vegetables I'm even more reluctant to have them.

Susan

If you like sushi eat it. Just don't buy it from a gas station. Go to the supermarket or go to a fancy restaurant.

Eat fast food once in a while.

Eat vegies and fruit.

Live your life, don't let emet stop you from enjoying life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I'll be the first to admit that my diet isn't the best. I don't eat greasy snack foods such as twinkies, pizza rolls or ultra greasy chips anymore, but that has nothing to do with emetophobia. I realized that I wouldn't be able to eat them forever without consequences. While I do eat some fruits, vegetables and whole grains, I don't eat as many as I should. Also, I LOVE meat, as I eat a lot of it. As for fast food, I'll eat it every once in a while, since some of it is quite good.

There are some foods notorious for making people sick (such as mayonnaise, most seafood, egg salad, and anything from Taco Bell) that I don't like anyway. I wouldn't eat anything from Taco Bell even if you paid me. I've known many people who have gotten sick after eating at the one where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by k10 View Post
    Does anyone else tend to eat healthier to avoid stomach aches? I'm vegetarian, I never eat fast food. I rarely drink soda, overeat, or eat greasy/processed/fried food. All because I want to avoid stomach aches. I also avoid "high risk" foods for food poisoning.

I know some people avoid eating in general, which is bad, but for me the silver lining is the healthy diet. Of course, emet isn't the only reason I choose to eat the things I do, but it's certainly a factor.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Hahaahhhh... That's interesting. I tend to eat foods I LIKE, because I fear the bad taste of foods I don't like will make me feel sick. That's why I do eat fast food, am an omnivore, drink coke and eat "processed" food. I do like some healthy foods, but I stay away from certain ones like bananas. I don't like them, and they've been involved in incidences with stomach viruses I've had.

I do avoid eating definitely sometimes. I eat very little, not because I want to, I just can't eat normally.

Quote Originally Posted by SUM1 View Post
    Hahaahhhh... That's interesting. I tend to eat foods I LIKE, because I fear the bad taste of foods I don't like will make me feel sick. That's why I do eat fast food, am an omnivore, drink coke and eat "processed" food. I do like some healthy foods, but I stay away from certain ones like bananas. I don't like them, and they've been involved in incidences with stomach viruses I've had.

I do avoid eating definitely sometimes. I eat very little, not because I want to, I just can't eat normally.

I do not know in your country what you call yogurt
    But it helps to reduce fat burning at the age of half a lemon on it

I used to be the same way but I realized life it way too short to live like this . I don’t want to look by when I’m older and think “why the hell were you living like this “ it’s tough to keep this mindset all the time trust me , but I try . Enjoy your junk food while you’re young .