Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Period and Nausea?

So im freaking myself out a little here. I just got my first ever period yesterday and i have been feeling really nasueous for the past two days and im scared i will v* from my period. I looked online and saw that this can happen and now im freaking out over it. My stomach and back hurt really bad to which i know is normal but is it normal to hurt THIS much? I dont have my mum to talk to about this kind of thing and talking to my friends they all tell me its possible i will get sick each time and i really dont want that. Is there anyoone who has some expereicne with this that can help me please?

Default Re: Period and Nausea?

I would say congratulations on starting your period as that is a big thing for us women, but I am not sure that is really the right wording. :P Welcome to 2 weeks of misery every month for about 40 years. I know how scary it can be starting for the first time, all the new things going on with your body and without having your mum to talk to about it will only make the worry worse I am sure. But please try not to worry, you are completely NORMAL and it is like all new things, the more it happens, the more you will get used to it.

Feeling nauseaous is completely normal with your periods, all the changing hormones... it is the same reason that women get morning sickness when they are pregnant. It should pass in a few days. Although it is possible to vomit from your period I believe that it is quite rare and I do not know any of women that I know ever having done it. It all depends on the individual and their stomachs. I mean if you are not prone to vomiting then it is unlikely that you will, if you are a more of a sickie person then your chances of it happening increase. Try not to worry about it too much as anxiety will only make the nausea worse. Try having a nice warm bath with lots of bubbles, that always relaxes me when I am on my period and helps to relieve a lot of the cramps.

Unfortunately, yes it is normal to hurt THAT much. Period cramps can be excruciatingly painful, right down where your pubic bone is. They feel similar to diarrhoea pains in my opinion, but much worse. Luckily, the pains don't tend to last more than three days and get less painful as the days go on. There are a lot of pain killers out there that are designed specifically for period pains which work wonders. I am not sure where you are in the world, but if you are in the UK then Feminax works AMAZINGLY well. But even normal painkillers will help to relieve them. Or try curling up with a hot water bottle on your stomach. The heat will relax the muscles and the warm sensation is relaxing. The best thing to do when on your period is to curl up on the sofa in some comfy clothes, hot water bottle on your stomach, chick flick on the TV and a big bar of chocolate in your hand.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe