Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Doctor's Visit Gone Wrong: Now scared I'll v* ):

Long story short, I had a throat swab go horribly wrong. The poor girl was new (I sure hope she was), and she jabbed the wooden part of the stick into the back of my throat. It hurt a lot, and continues to hurt.

However, since then, I've had this horrible feeling very akin to my gag reflex being triggered, but slow and lingering. It's a very strange nausea. My throat feels uncomfortably "open", if that makes sense. My stomach has this horrible acid-y feeling, and burping tastes straight up like stomach acid. What can I do? I'm so scared that I'll end up v*ing, or that it'll get infected, or that it won't go away, and I'm going on vacation in 3 days (another source of anxiety all together... which I won't go in to) and I'm terrified it won't be gone by then!

I'm trying to stay calm because I have no problem swallowing and I'm ok with drinking water. But the feeling won't go away. Any advice wouldl be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Doctor's Visit Gone Wrong: Now scared I'll v* ):

Ouch, that sounds sore! It is no surprise that back of your throat hurts! And I am imagining if this was me - having something close to my gag reflex in pain would trigger my stonach to tighten and I would get anxious and then I would feel sick and think I was going to get sick. You will be fine! It shouldnt hurt for too long, maybe some pain killer will help you get some rest/sleep, but I can assure you that is no reason to v*. Have a great trip!

Default Re: Doctor's Visit Gone Wrong: Now scared I'll v* ):

Hopefully by now you feel better, but if the pain continues you could get some numbing throat spray. It's used for strep and other throat infections, but sounds like it could work for your situation. You are NOT going to be ill and this will go away without any poor effects. Have a wonderful trip!!!!