Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Norovirus and Germ Spreading

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me understand the spread of germs better.

I know that norovirus isn't airborne, but small particles of it can be left in the air. Does this not mean that if we are near a person who has this, (or another vomiting bug), or near vomit, that we can easily breathe this in and get infected too? I take it there's no way of preventing this type of spreading of germs?

Are food poisoning bacteria such as E Coli, salmonella and staphylococcus also able to spread in the air? Can normal antibacterial solutions such as Dettol spray kill all of potential food poisoning germs on surfaces?

Default Re: Norovirus and Germ Spreading

You can't get norovirus just by breathing it in. You need to consume it via the digestive tract by eating contaminated food or letting anything infected touch your mouth. And you shouldn't get it by being near someone who's ill, but it's best you stay away from sick. There are ways to prevent this type of spreading of germs definitely. Don't share eating utensils, don't put fingers or anything unclean near your mouth and regularly wash your hands.

These viruses and bacteria are not airborne.