Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default How long do I need to worry?

My daughter had the sv almost 2 weeks ago now. My other daughter caught it one week ago, and stopped v'ing last wednesday at 7am. I haven't caught it, and I've been doing A LOT of cleaning of surfaces, etc. I am still washing my hands like crazy before I eat, and making sure I don't put my hands near my mouth otherwise. How long do I have to keep being super careful? It has been a week now since anyone v'd. I know they can live on surfaces for up to 2 weeks, but how good are the odds at this point that I'm going to catch it off a surface?

Default Re: How long do I need to worry?

Not good at all! In the PERFECT environment they can POSSIBLY live UP TO 2 weeks. If it makes you feel better go ahead and spray bleach the bathroom after she goes #2, but honestly each day that goes by the chances of there being any particles in her poo are less and less likely and even if there are it's not likely that they are still contagious. Tests have shown that stool after a sv* reaches it's 'peak' of particles being expelled at 72 hours, you are WELL beyond that point. Breathe a sigh of relief, keep bleaching if you feel the need, but I think you're in the clear!

Firstly I understand completely how you feel! I hate it when IT enters our house because you never know how long it will linger..it's like being held hostage in your own home!

I would say though that if you have disinfected and disinfected and disinfected the surfaces your chances of catching it at home are about the same as catching it at any random place. At this point if you got it you probably couldn't even say for certain that you got it from home.....

that's what I tell myself anyway lol

Awesome, thanks! I just cleaned the toilets with bleach cleaner, and I wash my hands after helping my 2 yr old wipe, but I'm done taking drastic measures I think.......