Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default so many " it happened " posts

There are so many posts on here in the last week from emets saying that they vted despite their fear, I`m wondering if there`some kind of virus that`s attacking people with emetophobia in particular. It reminds me of a subject that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, about the mind being a magnet, & atracting the ting that we most fear. I`m wondering if being afraid of vting actually makes you more at risk of it?

Default Re: so many " it happened " posts

I've been seeing so many of these posts as well and it scares me tbh. But at the same time I want to be supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    There are so many posts on here in the last week from emets saying that they vted despite their fear, I`m wondering if there`some kind of virus that`s attacking people with emetophobia in particular. It reminds me of a subject that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, about the mind being a magnet, & atracting the ting that we most fear. I`m wondering if being afraid of vting actually makes you more at risk of it?
    Evidence suggests that emets are less likely vomit yet more likely to feel nauseous. Anxiety can cause vomiting if someone stresses out too much and especially with this longer norovirus season than normal, I think a lot more people are panicking. However there is no virus that attacks people with emet.

What gets me about the "it happened" posts, is that many of them are saying "and it really wasn't that bad". Shows how much worse we make it in our minds than it really is.

I had an "it happened" post a couple of months ago. The waiting and not knowing if you will v* or not is the scariest part. V* wasn't that bad. But I'm still extremely phobic, it didn't help my anxiety about it at all. The thing with emets v*ing is it's usually for a specific reason that they can identify, like someone recently v* on here from antibiotics, and last time I v* was from chugging two chocolate protein shakes really fast. I think I've only seen two people since I've joined that have actually had a sv*.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

It is called "anticipatory anxiety"... We tend to worsen thing before they happen, and feel less stressed when it actually takes place and after...
    People in a survey, about being in exams/job interviews/etc, had to put a punctuation (between 1 to 10, 1 nothing nervous and 10 freaked out) in the stress felt "before, during and after" the situation which made them nervous... The results were that people before the events felt nervous from 8 to 10 before the events, 5 to 6 in the meanwhile and 1 to 3 when it ended...

Anticipatory anxiety ruins us all!

I don't think you should worry... my episode was from drinking a strong soda and eating something too sweet when I awoke...

The month that houses most incidences of vomiting, Jan and March are gone. Norovirus accounts are lowering...

I didn't see your other post, but I have wondered the same myself. Did you read the law of attraction by chance.... that is basically what it is about, how we attract things to us with our thoughts. I very much believe that which of course makes my fear worse... Also I have seen evidence of it... when I get super crazy about the phobia and start thinking about it too much despite there not having been any actual exposure... something always comes up, like one of the kids getting sick or being exposed somehow.

Sorry, anxiety horsesh.. Anxiety messing with your mind. Emets vomit less than the normal population. If you look that this site has over 30k members, the percentage of sick people is minute, less than 1%. Notice everyone made it. Not one died or self combusted. I know the anxiety is strong, but there have been members that have kicked emets a... and lived to post a thread.
    Last edited by Cynna; 05-16-2013 at 10:09 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

And how do you suppose the virus would the people who are getting sick are emets? People get sick, it happens.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't particularly believe there is a virus out there that specifically attacks emets...being the reason that a couple of people have posted some recent experiences.
    Emets get sick, because they are human beings, and it happens, Like Kaydeejayde said.
    I guess I'm not one of those "lucky emets that don't get sick as often as the normal population" because if it has to happen, phobia or not, i don't really resist it long.

I've actually thought the same thing that there was a sort of spike in 'it happened threads' but I do find comfort in how many people said it wasn't that bad. Most of them weren't from a bug (such as SoVerySorry, ). Also, as emets, we need to remember that just because we read it doesn't mean it will happen to us. It's such a catch 22 when it comes to posting on here when you vomit. We understand each other better than others understand us but most of us are too afraid to give support because it gives us anxiety. It's like the blind leading the blind in a sense.

It's important to realize that we will make it if we vomit...I hate to even type that out....but it is the truth. I have vomited after being emetophobic and it didn't kill me, twice it made my anxiety a lot worse, and once it made it temporarily a lot better. That having been said, I don't think emets vomit as much as the average population, but that's not the case for everybody. It seems there are times you can resist it and times it is hard or impossible. I had noticed the spike in "it happened" posts too, some of them sound like SV and some don't. With the worldwide reach of this site, and the fact that there are so many members, not all very active, it's hard to wring much information out of the "it happened" posts that would point to a trend. I don't think we attract norovirus at all, but for whatever reason, I absolutely think we're more likely to hear vomit stories, and things that upset us. I really don't know why that is but it is hard to dispute.

No it's not a conspiracy to make emets sick.

This year has been a very bad noro year as there was new strain discovered. New strain equals fast spreading and hard hitting noro. If you look at the CDC's website, bad noro seasons tend to occur every 2-3 years.

Unfortunately getting sick is apart of life

Anxiety does not cause v* being anxious is your mind telling you theres something to be fearful of even though there isnt. Our minds play some awful tricks on us but not to the point of making something thats mental into a physical symptom. Ive been so anxious before that ive been hugging the toilet but I wasnt sick. I often wonder if im sick if that will get rid of the fear but then shush myself incase I jinx myself lol

I don't think there is a stomach bug that's targetting just emet's. In England the norovirus was still going around in strong force in our area till the end of April. (My parents both got it however I was luckily away when it happened!)

I`m wondering if being afraid of vting actually makes you more at risk of it?
    Oh hell no. I've seen tonnes of posts about people who haven't vomited in decades, and I haven't done it in 3 years (but I'm still young). I have a theory that due to compulsions that I and other emetophobes have, they are actually working and reducing our risk of getting sick, not just silly things that have no effect.

I really am paranoid about vting, because I do feel that our bodies are intent on doing it just because they know wer`e so scared of it. I know that sounds crazy but it`s how I feel.

Well not everyone is scared of vomiting, and most people don't get sick THAT often. The reason we feel like we are doomed is because like what was said above, anxiety causes nausea.

I wish anxiety didn't cause or aggravate nausea; it'd make suffering this disorder more sufferable.

I really am paranoid about vting, because I do feel that our bodies are intent on doing it just because they know wer`e so scared of it. I know that sounds crazy but it`s how I feel.
    You're body doesn't do things because it knows you're afraid of it. Your body IS you, how does that work?

I don`t believe that my body is the sum total of what I am, because then I`d be nothing more than a bag of meat, & that just doesn`t bear thinking about. I feel quite seperate from my body, because I see it as something that Iv`e been condemned to go through life with it no matter how much I hate it, or how much it hates me, which it undoubtedly does!

I'm so sorry you feel that way about your body. Your body is not the enemy. I hope that one day you can come to love your body even if it isn't perfect, beautiful or what some model on tv has. My body is nearly 50, somewhat overweight, and definitely not the one Demi Moore got that can withstand years of abuse. However, it is my body and I love it. It's all I have and it's much better than some others. Once we can learn to love our bodies and accept their imperfections, the better we care for them and the less we get sick. However, no matter how well we care for our bodies, anything with a body occasionally gets sick and may even get a serious/chronic illness. Even plants get sick. Illness is a part of life even as happiness and joy are.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    You're body doesn't do things because it knows you're afraid of it. Your body IS you, how does that work?
    I've noticed you reply often with rude comments. People come on these boards because they want support, they don't want to be talked to like they are a 5 year old. That goes for me at least.

That comment wasn't rude, I was genuinely wondering?

Edit: also, have you seen some of this posters replies to other threads? And I'M rude? Kay, thanks.
    Last edited by KaydeeJayde; 05-24-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuluBear View Post
    I've noticed you reply often with rude comments. People come on these boards because they want support, they don't want to be talked to like they are a 5 year old. That goes for me at least.
    I think you misunderstood kaydee's tone. I don't see it as rude at all. Kaydee may not be blindly supportive of everyone's posts, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think there was any harm in questioning the OP's logic here because...well....it's a bit flawed. I actually think kaydee's post was being supportive in the way she is asking the OP to reevaluate her way of thinking. Am I making any sense? Whatevs, I just didn't see her post as rude, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by cycle View Post
    I think you misunderstood kaydee's tone. I don't see it as rude at all. Kaydee may not be blindly supportive of everyone's posts, but that's not a bad thing. I don't think there was any harm in questioning the OP's logic here because...well....it's a bit flawed. I actually think kaydee's post was being supportive in the way she is asking the OP to reevaluate her way of thinking. Am I making any sense? Whatevs, I just didn't see her post as rude, that's all.
    This.

I, like others who've replied. Really don't understand hairyfairy's logic here. It's a bit too philosophical for me.

Hairyfairy, I noticed that the motive for some of your most recent threads is from things you read on here that seem to trigger you. I am curious to know if you're trying to seek help, or if you're comfortable being phobic. It's really not intended to be rude, but you seemingly see nothing wrong with what you write on other peoples threads (that in turn influence your own threads with your own theories) and it's just left a lot of us scratching our heads to why

Thank you guys. I know I can come off as blunt, but I never aim to be rude.

Aside from the fact it does happen, our members have grown in record numbers so naturally there will be some more posting about it. I am afraid if there are too many of them or seemingly too many of them at once she does become triggered by them.
    Life is so worth living.