Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going to Mexico for 11 days. A bit worried.

Next week I'm taking a trip to central Mexico. As an emet, I feel a bit paranoid about eating when I go to poorer countries. I can deal with diarrhea from Montezuma's revenge. It sucks and it's unpleasant but it doesn't terrify me. I'm afraid of eating something bad and then getting food poisoned with v*ing.

Default Re: Going to Mexico for 11 days. A bit worried.

I'm sure you already know to drink bottled water only. Make sure your food is thoroughly cooked and if it makes you feel better, oil of oregano and tumeric are supposed to be good at warding off food poisoning. Enjoy your trip!
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Yes, bottled water ONLY. Also, my Aunt went to Mexico and took papaya enzymes every day and had NO tummy troubles.

Also, have fun xx

A few years ago I took a quick long-weekend trip to Puerto Vallarta. I didn't do anything risky. My last day I went to a restaurant and had an American style breakfast. It was a really nice and clean restaurant, even run by Canadians. I had French toast, bacon and eggs and a glass of orange juice. The food tasted good but just as I was finishing, something in my stomach wasn't feeling right. I couldn't finish every bite. I decided to go take a walk to the beach figuring maybe I'd feel better in a few. It only got worse and turned into really bad nausea. Unfortunately my flight back home was within a few hours and I was feeling so sick in the stomach going to airport, waiting in lines, waiting for the plane. I probably took about 4 or 5 pepto tablets within a few hours. That's probably the only thing that stopped me from getting violently ill. It was terrible! I don't know what caused that reaction. For the next few days my stomach felt unsettled. I had a margarita at a beach bar the 2nd day and it had some ice in it I think. I don't know if was something in there that caught up with me or what. That's my only experience getting sick in Mexico in the several times I've been. Bu this will be my longest trip there and I dread feeling like that again, but I'm just going to brave it anyway because I love travel.

I lived in Mexico for a month and the only problem I ever had was a mild stomach upset that lasted a few days and I think that had more to do with the fact that I ate a lot of spicy food for the first time ( I used to hate spicy food, now I love it!) rather than eating something 'bad.' Just be careful about the water, don't eat salads or fruit off the street, and you'll be just fine. Have fun! I'm totally jealous!

Hope you enjoy Mexico. I went as a little kid, to Mérida down in the Yucatan. It was a church trip, and we all had a great time. Going to help them repair a camp that was damaged by Hurricane Hugo. That trip was one of the reasons I was interested in finding a job that lets me travel.

As the others have said, watch out for uncooked street food and city water.

I was told that the water supply in Mérida has so many underground leaks that they only have water in the mornings for a few hours. Then they shut if off. The system is so old and dilapidated!

Either way, have fun. Should be nice and hot down there.

Sincerely,
    David

Mexico looks amazing. The only thing I would advise is of course, bottled water, and don't take on the spicy food too fast. My mom's issue was that she ate too much, too quick, and she wasn't adjusted to the amount of spice in the foods, so her stomach was upset for the first few days. Have an amazing time!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."