Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What do I do at work? Help!

Hi everyone! Ok I have a question about work. I recently got hired (haven't started yet) at a huge department store as 3rd shift maintenance and after I thought about it, OH MY GOSH! It's a huge store and things happen. What can I do to stay safe in these situations (bathrooms, cleaning up 'messes') and things like that? Will a surgical mask and gloves help? Please let me know, I'd really appreciate it as I have no clue! Thanks <3

Default Re: What do I do at work? Help!

That's really all I can think of as well. If you are asked to clean stuff like that, load up on cleaning gear! Perhaps you can try to see it as a challenge and opportunity to fight the phobia? Good luck, and congrats on getting a new job! *hugs*
    Nerd Girl just looking for Nerd Friends!

I think that's what I'm gonna do, it just has me freaked! Hopefully it never comes to it though! Thanks so much

Mask and gloves! Wash your hands reallllly well afterwards. (:

I work for Starbucks and I get an anxiety attack every night because of having to clean the bathrooms! Ugh! Just know, if it is v* or any other type of bodily fluid you are NOT supposed to touch it! And your employer can't make you! You are supposed to call HAZMAT because they are trained to deal with bodily fluids whereas you are not... No one can force you into cleaning that!

You shouldn't have to touch it at all if it's bodily fluid. Stores like that have ways to clean those without touching anything. Store I worked for had a janitor at times, but they have vomit absorbent, or things like sand that will pick it up and they mop it away. Bleaching the floor or deep cleaning carpet/rugs is usually done as needed too. White vinegar with hot water is also a great disinfectant when bleach is unavailable or can't be used on a surface. Mix it in a steam cleaner and carpet/rug is sanitized.

Oh, though it shouldn't be necessary at work, baking soda is a lifesaver for spills and messes, including vomit. Those of you all who have children or want to and don't know already that, trust me. I have used it on dog vomit on rugs and carpet. It works great.