Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Super anti-emetic?

Will there ever be a super anti-emetic, that literally prevents your body from vomiting?
    Promethazine is like a hit or miss thing and Ondansetron hurts my stomach.

It'd be a dream to have a antiemetic that stops all nausea... Ondansetron is relatively new right? That means it is inevitable that a better antiemetic comes soon hopefully? I sound a little anxious sorry hahaha. (Little nauseated but It isn't THAT bad)

Default Re: Super anti-emetic?

When I had an sv and ended up in the hospital they gave me Zofran and it was a wonder drug. I only v*d once and I was on Zofran for the rest of my stay and didn't v* anymore.

Sometimes the body needs to vomit, so taking a 'super anti-emetic' is actually probably not such a good idea, and could endanger your life. So I'm gonna go with no, that drug will probably never become readily available.

The problem with that is that every person has different body chemistry, and different medicines work for different people. I think it''s likely that they will continue to improve upon all different kinds of medicines, including antiemetics, but it would be difficult, if not impossible to make one that worked 100% in everyone.

The only time we need to vomit against our own will is from alcohol poisoning or ingesting some type of poison, and even then, you probably already absorbed enough of the poison

Oh okay... hopefully the norovirus drug works well

Mmm, this discussion has been has many times. I highly disagree. A friend of mines life was saved from vomiting so I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Sometimes the body needs to vomit, so taking a 'super anti-emetic' is actually probably not such a good idea, and could endanger your life. So I'm gonna go with no, that drug will probably never become readily available.
    I'd take it willingly (if I could manage taking a tablet), despite it not being such a good idea. That's how strong my phobia is.

I had some sort of gastroenteritis over the weekend and I found Domperidone helpful but I don't think you can get it in the States?. (No one else in my family caught my infection so I think it's unlikely that it was norovirus and was milder).

I have prochlorperazine that I'd also consider taking if I had norovirus as I read a study (okay, it's not good to base your behaviour on one study but still...) that said prochlorperazine was more useful in preventing vomiting for people with SV in hospital than ondansetron (even though ondansetron/zofran is considered to be a very potent anti-emetic and is even used to treat emesis from chemotherapy and following surgery).

Sorry if I offended you KaydeeJayde

I never heard those names before emet-ana, but I'll for sure look them up!

SUM1: I would too. Death seems pleasant in comparison to vomiting.

I'm going to be a Negative Nancy and say no. Sure, there are anti emetics that probably work well (I wouldn't know as I've never taken any) but they aren't going to work for everyone. Plus, scientists are going to be MUCH more focused on developing cures for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, etc.

I don't think there will ever be a 100% effective noro vaccine either. I know that's not what you want to hear, but different people have different immune systems. Plus, viruses change and mutate all the time, no there's just no point.

Honestly, the best thing I've found is marijuana. It's prescribed for cancer and AIDS-related nausea, so you know it's effective. Bonus: it doesn't have to be swallowed and works in seconds. Drawback: it's illegal in most places.

Putting an Imodium under my tongue stopped the diarrhea and nausea of a stomach virus once. It also has a slight sedating effect when administered this way. It is an opiate, after all, albeit one that doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier very well. Ginger root would be third on my list. Never tried Zofran or promethazine.

Nothing works 100% for everyone, but medicine has come a long way in the past 50 years or so. Should be exciting to see what the next 50 bring. Until then it's mind over matter.

"I don't think there will ever be a 100% effective noro vaccine either. I know that's not what you want to hear, but different people have different immune systems." but that doesn't mean it isn't possible... I mean, there are still vaccines for other viruses and this shouldn't be any different.

I won't ever smoke marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by SoVerySorry View Post
    Sorry if I offended you KaydeeJayde

I never heard those names before emet-ana, but I'll for sure look them up!

SUM1: I would too. Death seems pleasant in comparison to vomiting.
    No no, I'm not offended, I'm just saying, I know that sometimes it's necessary to vomit, and if you don't you can die, that's all. Everyone's entitled to disagree, which is why I said 'respectfully' And good job for staying away from marijuana.

oh haha thank you for not killing me

maybe just an anti-emetic that is sure to stop vomiting, but not a literal "cure" for it. something that can used for operative nausea and stomach upset issues. that can make the government allot of money right?

If there was a super anti-emetic, I`d take it.

oh haha thank you for not killing me

maybe just an anti-emetic that is sure to stop vomiting, but not a literal "cure" for it. something that can used for operative nausea and stomach upset issues. that can make the government allot of money right?
    Haha, of course, you didn't offend me, it's all good. Mmm, I'm sure it would, but like someone said, I'm pretty sure they're going to pump more money into important causes like finding cures for cancer, HIV/AIDS, parkinson's and the like.

actually I would think that there would be a lot of medical interest in finding such an anti-emetic, specifically because of the risk of vomiting during operations. That could seriously injure, even kill a person.

Also, nausea is such a common phenomena that finding a cheap, reliable cure for it would rake in tons of profit.

I don't know why Promethazine isn't OTC...

Is it because of the drug people? Always ruining things for others

I don't know why Promethazine isn't OTC...

Is it because of the drug people? Always ruining things for others
    No I don't think it's the drug people. It's OTC in other countries, but not the USA. I believe the UK is one of those countries that have it OTC.

We do have it in the UK under the brand name Phenergan, can buy it online also, not sure about shipping though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFox View Post
    We do have it in the UK under the brand name Phenergan, can buy it online also, not sure about shipping though.
    I figured, when prescribed here, I am always given it under the generic name Promethazine and then in small letters on the bottle it says "Brand Name: Phenergan"

Again, I don't think drug trafficking has anything to do with why some anti emetics are not OTC where you live. Different countries I assume have different health regulations. We have Dramamine OTC here in the USA. Is that prescription only in another country?

Dramamine is an anti-emetic?

I tried looking for some but I can only find Meclizine Dramamine...
    I'm looking for dimenhydrinate.