Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guyz, it's Emily (I'm new if you haven't heard of me yet!). Last night was a real breakthrough. I found this site (YAY!) and I finally broke down and told my parents and grandparents about my phobia. Surprisingly, they've were so supportive and were relieved, saying, "Well that explains a lot!".

Well, my mumis very concerned and has told me she's going to book a doctor'sappintment for next week to get some professional help. But I'm worried the doctor will:

A) Laugh at me and tell me to stop waisting his time(he's a very laid back jokey guy and not the sort to take something like this seriously). [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

B) Prescibe me a medicine to take that will MAKE me sick to face my fear (think it's called an emetic). [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

C) Refer me to a phyciatrist like I'm some kind of looney.[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I really want him just to give a drug to calm any anxiety/panic attacks when I get them(regularly) and/or a drug that if I take it will 100% STOP mev*ing if Ithere comes a time I know for sure I'm going to v* (I haven't v*d for 6 years). But I don't think he'll do that because I'm under16.

Please explain to me what he may do say while I'm there, I'm nervous about it. Thanks in advance,

Emily x x x

Well, I'm not the expert at answering questions here, but I'd say if he is the right doctor for you, he will take your phobia seriously, and will not just pass it off as something trivial and unimportant. I also believe that if he is a good doctor, he will not intentionally try to make you v*. If you read some of the info on this website, making an emetophobic intentionally vomit can actually make the phobia worse, or traumatize you more. If he doesn't fully understand your phobia (ie wnats to make you v* intentionally), you can look at the thread "INFO TO GIVE YOUR DOCTOR OR FAMILY"...this will help him understand the phobia better..and if he does want to induce v*ing in you and sticks to his word, I'd say find another doctor..but we don't know yet whether he is even going to do this...see how it goes, and I think you'll be able to instintually know whther he is the right doctor for you.

Welcome to the board, and good luck with everything!!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

hey emily... even if your doctor were to prescribe an emetic, it doesnt mean you have to take it. if he does, he's a jerk, and or he doesnt understand the psychology of emetophobia.

being sent to a pychiatrist doesnt make you a looney. i hate to admit it, but ive been going to one on and off since i was 9 years old. and if yo look at me, you would never think... a lot of my freidns dont know i go.

a lot of my friends have gone to one at one point in their life, or go to one now. its not uncommon at all, and may actually be helpful and wont make you look like a looney. it really could help. so just do what your doctor suggests, unless he suggests to take an emetic, becase as nobodyknowit said, it may make it worse.

i dont know if there is a drugout there that will make you 100% not v*. if there is, and your doctor prescribes it to you - tell me the name?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by *fairy*
    But I'm worried the doctor will:
    A) Laugh at me and tell me to stop waisting
    his time*(he's a very laid back jokey guy and not the sort to take
    something like this seriously).

If you know that before, why don't you go to another doctor?
    However, if you explain your problem in a serious way, he won't laugh
    about it.

Prescibe me a medicine to take that will
    MAKE me sick to face my fear (think it's called an emetic).

A professional physician would never do that. By the way, you could sue
    him if he did so against your consent - this is meant for the case, that he
    makes you take an emetic without you being aware of it. You cannot sue
    him just for prescribing it, of course!

C) Refer me to a phyciatrist like I'm some
    kind of looney.

I really want him just to give a drug to calm
    any anxiety/panic attacks when I get them*(regularly) and/or a drug that
    if I take it will 100% STOP me*v*ing if I*there comes a time I know for sure
    I'm going to v* (I haven't v*d for 6 years).

Do you really expect, just by taking some drugs, you could overcome
    your phobia? Antidepressants may help to feel better in some cases, yes,
    but in my opinion it is more important that you work on the problem that
    is really behind your fear. There is a reason for you having Emetophobia -
    so why don't you work it out within a therapy? Consulting a therapist/
    psychiatrist won't mean that you are crazy. You are not even 16 years old
    - so it's a great chance, that you can work on it now already. The older
    you are the more difficult it may get. And nice of your mom to support
    you.

Why being nervous? There is nothing worse than living every day and all
    your life with this panic, no?

Take care
    AiEdited by: aisha

Going to a psychiatrist does not make a person a "looney."

hey again well i told my doctor in the end cause it was so bad and i take antidepresants.

My doctor gave me ones with no sickness side effects thank god! called amitripaline or sumut! Ur NOT A LOONEY! come on we all have exactly the same here!

Im currently under a doctor (i cant spell pychayatist) and they are givng me slow but helpful treatment. We have goals to reach. Like going near sick people in the family and helpin them and not washing hands as much in the day and to walk near sick on the floor if you see it like when your out. Kinda study it lol sounds weird but it helps. I know you might be a little to young but if your from the uk watch bravo they have booze britain on tv which shows u people pukin when thy drink too much and that sometimes helps me to learn to watch people being sick with out dying !

Love Ya

Sarah xx[img]smileys/smilies_08.gif[/img]
    Sarah Louise - Were Alive, So Take A Deep Breath

if you want to get anywhere in recovering over this phobia you will need to see a psychiatrist probably i'm afraid! so don't start believing you have to be looney to see one... probably all of us here have seen one at least once!

i went to the doctor about emet when i was 16, and altho she was a bit hesitant necause of my age she did give me a course of anti-depressants, but not an emetic, or an anti-emetic either.

but she did refer me to the local children and adolescents mental health department. to be seen by a psychiatrist to "diagnose" everything and refer me on. So probably that will happen to you? i don't knw i guess all doctors are different.

good luck, though.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is there such thing as an anti-emetic?

yes, there are anti-emetics..some are over-the-counter and some are prescription.