Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Food poisoning concerns - Please set my mind at ease ASAP!

Okay so I am vegetarian, and sometimes I eat vegetarian "meatballs" made of veggie protein & soy, etc. My mom gave me some mixed in with homemade pasta sauce. On the box, it says to keep frozen until you eat them but I had them in the sauce in the fridge for the past 2 days. I didn't really think anything was wrong with this until *after* I ate them (just now). I'm worried bacteria could have grown on them since they were supposed to be in the freezer. This might be irrational though because I know almost all food is fine in the fridge for a couple days.

However, I did cook them and got them to a high temperature. I microwaved them on high for 1.5 minutes then brought the sauce with the "meatballs" in it to a boil on the stove in a saucepan before I ate it.

What do you guys think? Safe or no? Just let me know if I'm being irrational ASAP so I don't worry about this all night
    Last edited by k10; 05-29-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Default Re: Food poisoning concerns - Please set my mind at ease ASAP!

I seriously think you're fine! I totally understand your thought (i have something against my fridge for some reason, i feel like everything goes bad in there after like 10 minutes. Only my own though hahaha, but i still get it!) but if the food was bad you would have noticed it when eating, it would have tasted bad. One of my challenges when trying to lower my general emet anxiety has been to try food myself instead of asking others to try it for me to see if it tastes well, and i have never been sick from this, even when i've had a bite of food that didn't taste well. And, every time food has tasted well i HAVE eaten it. Even if it's been in fridge for days. I'm a veg as well and those kind of things are only supposed to be in the freezer until you cook them. Actually, cooking (or thawing) deep frozen food and then freezing it down again can make you sick. Only if it's actually frozen though, not just cold. So the fridge is fine, i promise. I'm proof of it! : )

I think you're fine too. I've had the same experience and was completely fine. I'm horrible when it comes to thoughts if food poisoning. I hardly can enjoy eating out, potlucks or simply going to someone else's house to eat. I'm scared to get uncooked food frothe store, so I usually buy fully cooked, canned or frozen foods to keep it safe. I have a pretty bad fear and anxiety when it comes to food. I was never like this before, but it just got worse over the past few years. I really feel depressed, trapped and not in control. It's the worse feeling and I feel bad because I know my hubby gets frustrated sometimes, especially when we are on vacation and he wants to eat out. It just sucks really bad. I even get worried that my hubby will eat something bad and I will have to hear or watch him vomit. I have never had food poisoning where I vomited, but my hubby has. I actually haven't even vomited since I was like 6 or 7, so I have no idea how it feels. I just know I don't ever want to because it seems so gross and terrifying. Especially when people who have vomited talk about how gross it was.

Mareese.. I have not V* since I was 13 and im 25 now.. Its terrifying I agree and since you and I both havent done it in a while its even scarier. I know exactly how you feel. And K10 i have a feeling you were ok.. Hoping so!! The fridge is a good place not a bad one

I've had d* 3 times so far .. once last night and twice this morning. That could be from the antibiotics I'm on though. It's still making me nervous!

I've been fine for the past 2 or 3 hours, aside from a little nausea. I have an appetite though and ate a late breakfast. I feel like if this was FP* it would hit hard, rather than just a little d* ... am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by k10 View Post
    I've had d* 3 times so far .. once last night and twice this morning. That could be from the antibiotics I'm on though. It's still making me nervous!

I've been fine for the past 2 or 3 hours, aside from a little nausea. I have an appetite though and ate a late breakfast. I feel like if this was FP* it would hit hard, rather than just a little d* ... am I right?
    You're totally right Stress and worry can give you d*and n*. If you have your appetite i would definitely say that you don't have fp* because i think your stomach would be too upset for it. Antibiotics are known for upsetting the stomach since it kills all the bacteria in your body, even the ones that are good for your stomach. You can eat yoghurt or drink special drinks (i don't know what they're called in other countries, i live in sweden so yeah) with good bacteria in them, which will calm down your stomach. There are also over the counter pills you can take that has those bacteria. Just don't worry too much, try to take it easy and that will probably calm your stomach down. Also, try to get some yoghurt or something with bacteria in it!