Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I took the bait and paid for this, so I want to share it with you guys.

Some of you have probably run across this before, or at least something like it. A website that claims they're going to tell you how to do this wonderful magical thing and you keep reading and reading waiting for it to tell you, and then at the bottom it says, "If you pay $5, we can tell you!" So I've stumbled across this one many times but finally took the bait and just bought it, so I will copy and paste it here. It's How To Stop n* and v*. They don't censor the words, so might be graphic.

This page will help you in self-treatment of nausea and vomiting, with the primary drug being doxylamine. The needed products are widely-used. Most stores that sell health care products will have them, and even many grocery stores and places without a pharmacy will have them.

You will need the following products.

1) Unisom Sleeptabs, or generic doxylamine.
    Unisom Sleeptabs (doxylamine) suppress the nausea center of the brain. It is marketed for sleep, because it causes drowsiness. Get the Unisom that has doxylamine succinate as the active ingredient. It's often in the aspirin/Tylenol section of a store. Near it there may also be another product called Unisom Sleepgels, which has diphenhydramine in it. Those will NOT work. Don't get those. Be sure to get the one that has doxylamine succinate as the active ingredient. It's the Sleeptabs. A generic is fine, as long as it is doxylamine succinate 25 mg.

2) Coca-cola or Pepsi or house equivalent
    Make sure it is a dark cola, not another type of soda. Get the regular kind, not diet. But with or without caffeine is okay, though without caffeine might be a little better. You are going to need room temperature cola to dissolve the Unisom in, if Susan is vomiting, (as opposed to just feeling nauseous without actually vomiting.) If Susan is just feeling nauseous without really vomiting, or with very little vomiting, then you might not need the cola, since she may be able to keep the pill down after swallowing it. (But cola is generally easy on stomachs in nausea situations.) If this is for a child (or adult) that cannot swallow pills, (or does it only with difficulty,) then you need the cola.

Use the Medicine Properly

This information is for an average adult. If the adult is very large, you might consider increasing the dose a little. If for a child, then normally the medication dose is reduced. For a 6-9 year old, you could cut the medication dose in half. And maybe 3/4 dose for a 10-12 year old. But size matters too. So increase or decrease the dose a little based on the size of the patient, if you feel it is appropriate.

After you have bought the medicine you'll need to get Susan to take it by mouth. The way you should do it depends on whether she is actually vomiting, or is just feeling nauseous. Choose between Situation A or Situation B below.

Situation A - Susan has nausea, but is NOT actually vomiting
    1) Pour up 1/4 of a normal size glass of lukewarm cola (best) or water.
    2) Get out 1 Unisom tablet (for an adult).
    3) Go to Susan's bedside and have her sit up.
    4) Get her to take the 1 Unisom and drink it down with the liquid.
    5) Have her sit up 1-2 minutes to ensure that the pill passes on down thru the esophagus into the stomach. Look at the clock, so that you'll know what time you gave the Unisom. Maybe write down the time.
    6) After she lies back down, wait and observe her. If she does not vomit within a few minutes after taking the pill, then it should stop the nausea and put her to sleep in 30-50 minutes.
    7) However, if she does vomit within the first few minutes after taking the Unisom, she may actually vomit the Unisom tablet back up. It usually will NOT come back up, but sometimes can. If she vomits, try to notice whether the tablet came back up or not. If the tablet does come back up, then it will not stop the nausea, of course. If the Unisom tablet was definitely vomited back up, then skip down and follow the suggestions in Situation B below. If the tablet was not vomited back up, but the nausea is not stopped 1 hour after taking the tablet, then give another dose, just like you did above.
    8) Wait and observe her. If you give the second tablet, and neither the first nor second tablet is vomited up, but another hour and a half after giving the second pill the nausea is still not stopped, then the patient is not responding to this treatment. Do not give another pill in that case. You'll need to change to a prescription drug to stop the vomiting. (You can request a refund.)
    9) If the nausea goes away as expected after that first or second pill, it would not be surprising for it to return several hours later, after the body metabolizes and begins to excrete the previous dose. That is normal. So the dosing can be repeated every 6 hours as needed.

Situation B - Susan has been vomiting (and still seems so nauseous that she may vomit any minute)

You need to get enough of the doxylamine into the blood stream to suppress the nausea center. If she is vomiting a lot, it can be difficult, because she might vomit within a few minutes of taking anything by mouth. And probably at least some of the drug will come back up. So what you can do to speed absorption into the blood stream is to dissolve the pill before she takes it. That way it will go into her blood stream faster after it reaches her stomach. You can do it like this:

1) Put a small amount (enough for a big mouthful) of room temperature or slightly warm cola in a glass. Warm it in a microwave, if all you have is cold cola.
    2) Now get out one of the Unisom Sleeptabs (for an adult.)
    3) Get out 2 (inexpensive) spoons that are the same size.
    4) Have a clean counter to work on.
    5) Put the one Unisom tablet in one spoon. Now lay the other spoon on top of it just like you would stack the spoons in a drawer. Crush and grind the tablet between the spoons until it crumbles into a powder.
    6) Put that powder into the cola that is in the glass.
    7) Get another spoon (just so the first 2 spoons can stay dry,) and stir the powder and cola for 3 minutes. Don't be alarmed if there are undissolved particles, since in a tablet there are always inactive ingredients that never dissolve. (But don't try to get the undissolved particles out of the cola, since some of it could be undissolved drug that will dissolve in the next few minutes in the stomach.)
    8) In a separate glass pour about the same amount of water that you did cola earlier, i.e. a big mouthful. (If you decide to use cola here in this second glass, instead of water, be sure that you don't confuse it with the first glass. Maybe use a different kind of glass.)
    9) Now go to Susan's bedside, carrying the wet spoon and two glasses, one with the cola/drug mixture and one with water.
    10) Look at the clock and write down the time, so that you'll know what time you are giving the Unisom. Then help Susan sit up.
    11) Stir the cola/drug mixture well just before having her drink it. Then have her drink it all down immediately.
    12) Then give her the second glass of liquid (without drug.) Have her swish it around in her mouth and then swallow to wash down any remaining particles. Have her sit up for 30 seconds or so, to allow time for the mixture to run down into stomach.
    13) After she lies back down, you can go back to your clean counter. Make up the same Unisom/cola mixture to be ready for the next dose.
    14) Wait and observe her.
    15) (Now follow 15a or 15b depending on whether she vomits shortly after giving her the medicine.)
    15a) If she DOES NOT vomit within 20 minutes after taking the cola/Unisom mixture, then it should stop the nausea and put her to sleep in 20-40 minutes. If the nausea is not stopped 60 minutes after taking the tablet, then give another dose, just like you did above. (Then go back and prepare for the next dose.) Wait and observe her. If you give the second dose, and neither the first nor second tablet is vomited up, but another hour and a half after giving the second dose the nausea is still not stopped, then the patient is not responding to this treatment. Do not give another dose in that case. You'll need to change to a prescription drug to stop the vomiting. (You can request a refund.)
    15b) If she DOES vomit within 20 minutes after taking the cola/Unisom mixture, then she probably vomited some of it back up. So the chances of that first dose working are reduced. Wait 10-15 minutes to let her settle down just a little. Then give another whole dose, like the one you just gave her. Wait and observe her. If she vomits that second dose up within 20 minutes, wait 30 minutes this time. If she is still nauseous, you can give a third dose then. If within 1 hour after the third dose, the nausea is still not stopped, then the patient is not responding to this treatment. Do not give another dose in that case. You'll need to change to a prescription drug to stop the vomiting. (You can request a refund.)
    16) If the nausea goes away as expected after that first or second dose, it would not be surprising for it to return several hours later, after the body metabolizes and begins to excrete the previous dose. That is normal and expected. So you can repeat the dosing every 4-6 hours as needed.

Your self-treatment has a high probability of success. But it could possibly fail, especially if Susan's vomiting is so extreme that she cannot keep down anything even for a few minutes. If she takes a dose of Unisom (doxylamine) 3 separate times and vomits it up 3 times, with no relief from the nausea within 2 to 2&1/2 hours from the time that you began dosing her, then using a nausea suppository may be the only way to stop the nausea. And that requires a prescription. Do not give more than 3 doses of Unisom in a 3 hour period.

Remember:
    If the patient is pregnant, we did NOT advise using this drug, even though Canadian women normally receive doxylamine, (the anti-nausea drug which is discussed below,) for nausea due to pregnancy. A combination of doxylamine and pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) was once sold in America under the tradename Bendectin, but the manufacturer stopped marketing it after a huge class action lawsuit against them, claiming it caused birth defects. That was never proven, though. And many studies have proven doxylamine to be safe and effective for use during pregnancy. The FDA declares it Pregnancy Category A, (the safest,) which you can see atperinatology.com. In Canada doxylamine and Vitamin B combination is marketed under the tradename Diclectin.
    Keep my heart light, maintain internal heights.

Default Re: I took the bait and paid for this, so I want to share it with you guys.

Aww...poor Susan. LOL! Thanks for sharing, Jade!

Default Re: I took the bait and paid for this, so I want to share it with you guys.

Huh interesting. I've seen people on here before discuss using doxyalamine succinate as an antiemetic before, but I've never really seen anybody try it and see if it works in a real danger situation for vomiting like a SV or FP. I do thank you for sharing though, it might help somebody out. I have said this before and take it with a grain of salt since I'm not a healthcare professional of any kind but I think (and they emphasized it here also) that the main thing is to get the medicine absorbed so that it can have an effect. Too many times people v* these pills back up right away if they wait too long to take them, also too many times, people, especially emets take antiemetics when we don't really beed them because we're afraid of that outcome.

Susan's like, "kill me now, please".

I used it for morning sickness, and it worked quite well. It does make you tired as a sloth though.
    Life is so worth living.

sdfl, your reply made me chuckle inwardly quite a bit

Lool, Susan does have it rough.

Thank you for sharing! indeed interesting... don't know if I would try it... seems like a lot of work, haha. But it is really good to know in case I would want to give it a shot.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Now - how am I going to get someone to read this to look after me if I am v*ing?! Haha, I dont know if I will be able to find this info in a hurry when I need it - esp if I am the one sick! lol, I may have to print it out. as I am in NZ I have no idea what this stuff is though! Did not no you could get sleeping things over counter, I dont think you can in NZ at all.