Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question about tattoos

I've been really really thinking about getting a tattoo. A white ink dolphin on my shoulder, but of course my emet mind says "WAIT!!! CAN THAT MAKE YOU SICK!?!?!" So... Anyone on here have tattoos? Did they make you sick? Have you ever heard of someone getting sick from a tattoo?

Default Re: Question about tattoos

I have two tattoos myself and have watched a number of people having them done (holding their hands etc) and not once have I ever felt nauseaous or seen anyone vomit from having a tattoo done. I think the chances of it happening are slim to none. I believe the only way that someone would be ill from having a tattoo is if they had a very low pain threshold or because of the nerves of having it done for the first time. Sometimes when people experience pain they vomit because it hurts so much, but if you have a good pain threshold and have never vomited from pain before you will be fine. Tattoos hurt, yes, but they are not THAT bad, they feel like a burn in my opinion and after a while the adrenalin kicks in anyway and it just starts to feel good, plus the end result is always worth the pain. Don't worry, you will be fine! Promise.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I have 3, my husband has 3 and my daughter has 2. None of us have gotten sick, dizzy or lightheaded. I'm actually going in for my 4th and 5th ones soon. They really aren't that bad. My last one (back of the neck) tickled and I couldn't stop giggling. I got one on my hipbone a while back and that one hurt but nothing too outrageous.
    If you really want one, I say go for it. Just make sure the place you go to is clean and reputable and you will be just fine
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I have 4 - im a wimp lol, they hurt but I did not v* I felt a little light headed, but I didn't eat beforehand. Ive never heard anybody get sick from it, my BIL fainted, but after a bit of sugar in his system he was back having it finished

I just got my first on the top of my foot (which people say is the worst). I got an adrenaline rush but that's about it! When you're getting it it kind of feels sinilar to a constant paper cut. Afterwards it feels like a sun burn. Its really not that bad.

I've got 6 tattoos and i've never gotten sick from them, it hurts though, feels like a hot needle scraping over your skin, but once u get 1 tattoo u will want more, their addictive lol
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you all so much! I'm gonna do it! I have 5 piercings, so I guess that means I'm ok with pain? I don't know lol. I just love the rush I get out of it. I'm so excited! I'm excited to get something that means so much to me, because d[FONT='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]olphins represent a death of an old life and a birth of a new, along with strength and creativity. Thank you all again so much for putting my mind as ease![/FONT]

I have no idea what just happened up there with all the alien language^^^ lol

I honestly think you'll be perfectly fine. I don't have any tattoos but I have 15 piercings and I know lots of people who have tattoos. I haven't heard of anyone v*ing from getting a tattoo done. My friend said she can fall asleep getting them done and she has a ton! Enjoy your tattoo, xx

I have a tattoo as well, no nausea or vomiting I love it! You'll have to post pics when you get yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

I don't have one, but know a lot of people that do and they are always a-ok! It will be painful of course but if you have tolerance for that and want the tattoo enough to deal with it, you will be fine! Accept it as a fun challenge! And when you make it through, you will be proud of yourself and happy with your ink! (I hope!)
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

I have 3 (a back piece, left wrist & right leg). No n* or v* whatsoever.

I do admit, I got my wrist piece at a tattoo convention and the guy sitting behind me just all of a sudden v*. I didn't see it or really hear it, but I heard the reaction. My dad told me not to look. The guy said he was totally fine though.

I have four tats, did them all myself Never got nauseas from them. I watched my bro get really pale and dizzy while having one done. But after he went outside and took a breath, he was okay. The tat was just in a bad spot and he wasn't breathing like he shouldve. He's a sissy, lol. Dont worry, u will do great! Be careful tho, they are addictive!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I have five and one was a cover up. They hurt but nothing even remotely close being sick. Warning tho...they are addictive

Quote Originally Posted by Valen* View Post
    I have four tats, did them all myself Never got nauseas from them. I watched my bro get really pale and dizzy while having one done. But after he went outside and took a breath, he was okay. The tat was just in a bad spot and he wasn't breathing like he shouldve. He's a sissy, lol. Dont worry, u will do great! Be careful tho, they are addictive!
    What's a 'bad spot' for a tattoo?

Being nervous and tensing up a lot (which you shouldn't do because it will def hurt more as well!) can make you lightheaded and faint once you relax again. I do believe that being lightheaded and dizzy can make you nauseous but it will probably take A LOT for it to actually go as far as vomiting or fainting. I wish I could just tell you that it's completely fine but like, there are people who are absolutely terrified of needles and pain and stuff like that who still go through and they can't relax because they're under constant exposure of their fear and those people can faint once they relax.

Quote Originally Posted by daffodil View Post
    What's a 'bad spot' for a tattoo?
    Anything that's right on the bone. Like the ribs or fingers. The lesser the fat, the more the pain basically. The ribs are supposedly the worst spot to get a tattoo on because of the pain, but it does depend a lot on your pain threshold and also your view on pain. You can have a high threshold but still be terrified of it you know? So I think it's a lot about that.

^^ Like she just said. Anything on a boney part hurts alot more, than on a more fatty part of the body. His was on the inside of his forearm, going to elbow. Looked painful
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I just got my first one in January after many years of deliberation (I am a great big sissy when it comes to pain) but it really didn't hurt right on my shoulder bone (I weigh 94 pounds so everywhere is on the bone - LOL) and it mostly felt like someone scratching me in the same spot over and over and over. That being said I never took break, never got light headed or dizzy NOTHING and my best friend who went with me assumed we would be there forever because she thought I would faint at least once.

After it was done it really didn't hurt at all felt like a sunburn. The itching after was the WORST becuase you CAN't scratch it or you will ruin it.

I am very very happy with my finished piece but as other said they are addictive so I want to add to mine already just need some cash!!!

I say if it means something to you and you want to do it find the best place in your area and GO FOR IT!!! Post pics for us when it's all healed!!!

I have one -- I got a little lightheaded and had to take a break, but I have a panic disorder, too, and the sensation triggered the panic. If you feel faint, just have a break and some juice and you'll be fine!

Remember..after u get a tat, U need to keep Vaseline (pertrolium jelly) on the tat and around it. Or it will get really dry. It prevents it from itching as much and fading. & The skin on your new tat will prob "peel" a little bit, which is completely normal.

Thank you all!!! I'm totally going for it! I'll post pictures when I get it I wanna get it on the front part of my shoulder, if that makes since lol. Like just down from the edge of my collarbone. What do you guys think the pain level will be for that?:/

You can handle it! It won't be terrible. Just a little shocked at first, then it kinda starts to go numb. Like u just get used to it. Now someone needs to tell me to suck it up and get my ears pierced! LOL

Honestly I only got sick once. I have multiple tattoos. I was in for a cover up. It was a tree and other stuff that took up almost my whole back. First setting was the outline. Second setting was to fill it in. I didnt eat which is normal for me but bad when you're heading in for a large long tattoo session. I wanted to give up within 3 hours but I said go ahead and finish. He let me bleed out when he was done and then as soon as he took the plastic off I felt dizzy, hot and really sick. I sat down with a fan on me and he tried to give me some M&Ms but I couldn't eat them. I thought I was fine and stood up and passed out. I didnt V though I really felt like it. Another bad one was a Phoenix bird I got that's really big. It took almost 7 hours and no food again. I was ok until I got home to uncover it and was it. I started to shake really bad and was dizzy and nauseated.

The trick is eat before. And listen to your body. When it says you had enough then you had enough. Those were my only bad experiences. I have almost my back covered, most of my arm, a couple on the back of my neck and on my head. So it's not that bad. You'd be fine.

Aww! I was 10 when I got my ears done, and I didn't feel anything at all! I'm actually quite addicted to piercings, so I imagine I'll be the same with tattoos Thank you! I will most definitely eat first. The town that I'm going to get it done in has an amazing burger place. (In-N-Out for West Coast people) So I'm pretty sure I can force myself to eat the greatest french fries in the world lol

Well I'm on the west coast so yeah in-in-out is everywhere. If you like onions and mushrooms ask for animal style. It's not on the menu but if you ask for that they put sauted onions and mushrooms. They do it on the fries too I think they add cheese on the fries :-)