Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Lets Get Better -- Fear of Losing Control? Lets Unpack That.

I have seen a lot of analysis about emetophobia that boils the fear down to a more base fear. It isn't about the fear of vomiting, it is said, but the fear of losing control. The more that I roll this idea around in my head -- that the fear of losing internal control is the base of emetophobia -- the less it makes sense to me. I mean, I guess I can see how one would arrive at that conclusion; vomiting is one of those sudden losses of internal control that we cannot help, that arrives spontaneously, and leaves as suddenly as it came. To a lot of emetophobes, this seems like the scary part. But I think that emetophobia goes far beyond the fear of losing internal control, at least for me. I think it is a deeper fear, a fear that has been with humanity since time immemorial, a fear that has plagued humanity since humanity came into its existence. I think understanding this fear may go a long way to figuring out the "why?" of emetophobia that seems to be so lost on emetophobes, including myself.

Okay, so fear of losing control. First, lets examine what could possibly be meant by that phrase. When we talk about control, we are really talking about two primary types (and I don't really feel like getting into psychological jargon because 1) that would require much more research than I am prepared to do, not to mention recalling stuff from my general psychology classes I took years ago, and 2) I am a sociologist by training so my psychology is a little rusty anyway, so forgive my layman lingo) internal and external control. The first question that comes to my mind is "what is the difference between these two types of control and how do they apply to emetophobia?" Well, lets examine that. First, there is external control. External control, to me, is defined by control over things outside of ourselves such as people, routines, objects, norms, situations, etc. I think that this loss of this type of control may be downplayed a little bit when trying to figure out what the root cause of emetophobia actually is, and may actually play a bigger role than it seems to the casual glance (and I'll get to that in a few seconds, first I want to deal with loss of internal control)

So that leaves us with internal control, meaning our thoughts, emotions, and physical actions. I would suspect it is this type of control that many are referring to when they say that emetophobia really boils down to loss of control, and again, at first blush it really seems plausible. But, as I thought of this more, something didn't seem right, like it seemed as if control maybe played a small role in my phobia, but it wasn't the entire reason my phobia came into existence. For example, if I am afraid of losing internal control, then why am I not afraid of, say, burping suddenly? I mean, its an action that I cannot control, that seems to arise spontaneously out of my body. Its something that may happen in front of strangers. In essence, burping is something I have absolutely no control over. An even better example is sneezing. That happens even more suddenly, and to me, mirrors the act of vomiting (sans the liquid and fear, of course) almost to a tee. I mean, every element is there. The sudden movement of the diaphragm, a big loud noise that comes out of the body, a complete temporary loss of control of bodily function, an action that seems almost like a gag...seems like if I did fear losing internal control of my body that sneezing would be a greater fear than vomiting, yes? It happens way more often than vomiting does, comes just as suddenly, and leaves as soon as it came...why no fear?

This is about when the idea that emetophobia is about internal loss of control started to break down for me. It simply didn't make any sense. So, over the course of a couple weeks (and yes, I do think about my phobia that much. My first reaction to any problem is to intellectualize it...thanks college ) I began to unpack this idea of loss of internal control. What are its constituent components? What are the parts of this hypothesis that tends to make people believe it to be true? I came up with couple of factors. First, suddenness. I think that when people say "loss of internal control" part of what they are really saying is "how fast the feeling came" and "how there was no or very little warning when the act of vomiting began". To me, this doesn't signify a fear of loss of internal control, it signifies a fear of suddenness, a fear of something happening to them with little or no warning, and deeper than that (and I think more importantly), a fear of the unknown. It is the fear of time itself, but not a fear of what might happen in some distant, possible future, but fear of what might happen in the immediate future.

The next part of "fear of the loss of internal control" that I unpacked is fear of the destruction of everyday routine. I think this manifests itself in an interesting way. I have noticed a lot of emetophobes stick to their routines, their rituals, and their everyday norms as a way to ward off a perceived danger of vomiting. I am not sure if this is true for other phobias (again, not a psychologist), but at least for emetophobes, it seems to be a common theme. This is where fear of loss over external control begins to play a bigger role than many people think. These rituals become a part of us, they become a way for us to cope, and the ultimate breaking of these routines, norms and rituals is to vomit. So I think the fear is not of losing some sort of control over your own body, its fear of breaking your routines.

Up until this point I have been using routines and rituals interchangeably, but I do not think they are one in the same. Routines are the things that one does every day, without fail. To the emetophobe, the ultimate breaking of these routines is to vomit. The rituals, on the other hand, are deployed as a last ditch effort to save yourself from breaking your routine, from vomiting essentially. The rituals may not be something that you do every day, but they are something that an emetophobe has used, probably most of their lives, to stave off nausea. These rituals are used in service of your routine, to ensure that it is not broken, that something completely outside of your everyday life does not happen, and that ultimately, you do not lose external control over the situation.

So far, the two ideas we have distilled out of "fear of losing control" are 1) Fear of the unknown, of time and 2) Fear of the destruction of routine. I think the last "base" fear that emetophobia boils down to is simply the body's reaction to an unseen, but nevertheless existential, threat. I think that some time in most our pasts we some how associated vomiting and danger. Now, emetophobes, of course, understand rationally that vomiting is not dangerous and ultimately will not harm them, but at a base, instinctual level an association was made between vomiting and a threat to the integrity of the body. I am sure that most of us have a very individual stories of how that happened. For me, I don't even remember how this association was made but I have been told from my mother that from the time I was born until about age 2 I vomited non-stop. My digestive system was extremely screwed up, I had severe lactose intolerance, and I was highly allergic to many ingredients found in formula and baby food. Over time, my digestive system got better, my lactose intolerance and food allergies faded, and yet I was still scared of vomiting. Even though growing up as a child and young adult I very rarely, if ever, vomited, those formative experiences as a baby and toddler made an association in my brain that vomiting was a threat to my existence.

Combine these three elements (fear of the unknown, fear of destruction of everyday routine, and fear of danger) and you have a perfect storm of fear. Take heart, these fears are not abnormal, in fact, they have been around since before history began being recorded. These fear responses you are having may be for an irrational reason (vomiting will not harm you), but the bases of your fear are perfectly rational, and have been around for a very long time.
    Last edited by rexymeteorite; 05-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Default Re: Lets Get Better -- Fear of Losing Control? Lets Unpack That.

does any of this make sense or am I just rambling to myself?

:/

You're on to something interesting. I have always heard it stems from fear of the unknown or death. We know a phobia is just our minds perceiving danger irrationally where there is none. It can be based on a traumatic experience with the act, a childhood that was seemingly chaotic during the most vulnerable stage in development (infancy to five years old I think); which can include but isn't limited to, the loss of a parent, abuse of any nature, neglect, constant moving of the home, etc. and vomiting may have been involved in there somewhere.so part of it may be a control thing. Sneezing and coughing are unpleasant generally but not to the degree it takes and the energy it takes for the body to vomit. That is a very unpleasant and unnerving experience for anyone, phobic or not.

I am going on a bit of a tangent, let's just settle with the reasons for developing a phobia vary from person to person as far as the "why" goes. For example, a person might mention they were forced to be sick alone as a child, and it was especially frightening, therefore their young developing mind concluded it was dangerous and to be avoided at all costs. It could be anything for any emetophobic. We know what a phobia is, and that should be enough. Every cure is not for every phobic.

I hope I added to this thread and didn't just reiterate what you were saying ahaha.
    Life is so worth living.

Rexy I think it is good. I think you should somehow condense it so people will take the time to read it. I think you have great points

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I dunno, for me its always been that I refuse to let emetophobia control my life. I respect your analysis, I really do because you have obviously put a lot of thought into it. However I think the more time we devote to this phobia in our lives, whether that be panic posting or even thinking of ways to cure ourselves, we are essentially letting it win and control us. I think in the long run it is better that we find joy in our lives and get some sort of therapy to teach our brain not to be scared. Its interesting to know why we might fear vomit though

Some of the above does make sense to me, because I came from a naval family, & we moved around all the time until I was 8, when my parents decided to settle in a really awful town. I know it`s about control, & that`s paramount to someone like me because I had none for most of my life. When it comes to vting, it`s not just control but also dignity, I mean, what`s more undignified for an adult than vting?

Quote Originally Posted by hairyfairy View Post
    ]it`s not just control but also dignity, I mean, what`s more undignified for an adult than vting?
    a lot of things are more "undignified" than throwing up.....Where is YOUR dignity in that statement, for example?

vomiting is part of being human, just like pooping and peeing are. are we "undignified" for doing those? for non emets, those are in the same type of bodily functions category....harmless.

Rexy, sorry I am a bit distracted from your OP because of that ridiculous statement. I can definitely relate to the destruction of routine. The biggest part of throwing up for me is if I would have to call out sick, and I can't afford to do that because I can't afford to lose my job. I am one of two hostesses at my job so our schedules are opposite (the other one is in school, i literally work while she is in school and vice versa) so it's a lot of pressure to be there, so to say. I am more afraid of the consequence of being sick at a commitment like work. I have no sick time. It's a small business restaurant...

When it comes to vting, it`s not just control but also dignity, I mean, what`s more undignified for an adult than vting?
    Yet again hairyfairy you don't seem to realise that what you are saying is actually offensive. Many emets are afraid of vomiting not just due to a loss of control, but shame and embarrassment. By typing that vomiting is undignified you are basically confirming their worst fear!

And yes, whenever you post something ridiculous I will be pointing it out. I'm tired of reading it, especially on threads that are supposed to be positive or thoughtful.
    Last edited by Kinetic; 06-01-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
    Yet again hairyfairy you don't seem to realise that what you are saying is actually offensive. Many emets are afraid of vomiting not just due to a loss of control, but shame and embarrassment. By typing that vomiting is undignified you are basically confirming their worst fear!

And yes, whenever you post something ridiculous I will be pointing it out. I'm tired of reading it, especially on threads that are supposed to be positive or thoughtful.
    Yes, this, exactly! Hairy, you're just being offensive. It's really upsetting, as well as what you're saying makes no sense. Where's the dignity in what you're insinuating here?

Rexy, while I really think that it's awesome that you have so much insight into your phobia and what causes it and everything, I think that's great. But I think that Kinetic is right, maybe looking that far into it and thinking about it so much isn't such a good thing, I don't know. Like I said, I really think it's awesome you have so much insight
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

thanks for the input guys. And pertaining to KDJDs point, this isn't some obsessive post I worked days and days on...I wrote this in about 30 minutes a few mornings ago after thinking about it for a few hours.

For me, this was more about getting to the real causes, of, well at least my phobia, and like I said, my first reaction is to intellectualize. Distance myself, break things down, analyze, and then reconstruct into theory. Believe it or not, this actually helps me overcome my fear, especially putting academic distance between me and my phobia.

On a different note, how is everyone? I realize I haven't posted in a while...school and life got busy. I missed you guys though

hairyfairy -- I am having trouble understanding your point, what exactly is undignified about vomiting? Firstly, it is a normal, everyday, human occurrence. Every person on planet earth vomits. How does vomiting mean a loss of dignity when those judging your dignity have vomited themselves at one point or another? Secondly, vomiting is uncontrollable. You do not pick the time and place when your body decides to expel your stomach contents forcibly out of your mouth. Being dignified or undignified relies on choices that one can make about ones life. Vomiting is not a choice one makes (except in cases of drunkenness, even then its absolutely arguable that even in that situation vomiting is not undignified. I suppose bulimia could be considered a choice as well, but again arguably so, because it is a mental disorder). Thirdly, vomiting is a symptom of sickness. Being sick is not undignified, if anything it elicits sympathy, not stares of judgement.

I guess I am left wondering why you react so harshly to someone who vomits. Its as if you have turned your fear of vomiting into a disliking of a person who vomits. You may want to look at and understand the reasons why your phobia has progressed in such a fashion. Because to the world outside of the chains of your fear, vomiting is a normal part of life. It doesn't elicit judgement or anger, perhaps a bit of embarrassment, but nothing more. Its simply a part of life, and many people accept that. Ask yourself why you do not.
    Last edited by rexymeteorite; 06-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rexymeteorite View Post
    thanks for the input guys. And pertaining to KDJDs point, this isn't some obsessive post I worked days and days on...I wrote this in about 30 minutes a few mornings ago after thinking about it for a few hours.

For me, this was more about getting to the real causes, of, well at least my phobia, and like I said, my first reaction is to intellectualize. Distance myself, break things down, analyze, and then reconstruct into theory. Believe it or not, this actually helps me overcome my fear, especially putting academic distance between me and my phobia.

On a different note, how is everyone? I realize I haven't posted in a while...school and life got busy. I missed you guys though
    I hope I didn't offend you when I suggested that, I didn't mean to, if I did! Like I said, I think it's really great you have such insight into things, and can kind of distance yourself enough from it to write about it like that.
    Come visit my history blog:

I see, youv`e all got fed up with kicking SUM1, so you decided to have another go at me! thanks very much! I`m entitled to my opinion, even if other people don`t like it!

Okay, no one would be saying anything about you if you weren't offensive and rude all of the time. Don't bring Sum into this, he's got nothing to do with why people are picking you up for what you're saying. You're not a victim here, people just genuinely don't understand why you're so abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    a lot of things are more "undignified" than throwing up.....Where is YOUR dignity in that statement, for example?

vomiting is part of being human, just like pooping and peeing are. are we "undignified" for doing those? for non emets, those are in the same type of bodily functions category....harmless.
    I agree. Well said. Vomiting feels awful and nobody wants to do it, and it looks and smells gross, but it's not undignified anymore than having a cold is undignified. Peopl who are sick (for ANY reason) are NOT undignified, and I really wish people on this message board would stop with that! (not everybody obviously, but the people who do)
    EmetophobiaHelpline.com

The "control" thing is a theory of eating disorders and several other mental health disorders as well. There may be grains of truth to that, but it doesn't explain it completely for me. We all acquired our phobia in a unique way, have different triggers, etc. If there was a single blanket cause of emetophobia, we could all be cured by a one-size-fits-all treatment.

As someone on the autism spectrum, it goes beyond control for me. Vomiting is sensory overload--the sound, taste, smell, feeling, etc. It affects all 5 senses at once and happens suddenly. It's also totally out of my control, which only makes it more scary. I like order, structure and routine; being sick doesn't fit into any of those. The phobia runs in my family, but I didn't "learn" it from anyone. I've been this way since age 2. It's almost an ingrained response.

So yes, it's about control. But not ONLY about control.

Very thoughtful post, Rexy. For me, it is not about control. I have multiple sclerosis so control is pretty much a myth for me. Before, I had children, I was scared of my own v, but morning sickness cured me of that! For me, it's more the fear of dying while v which is somewhat silly when you compare the number of times a person v*s in their life (probably several times) and how often they die (only once).

OT - being so dang drunk or stoned a person can't stand up and v*ing is undignified. IMO, v is like any other bodily fluid evacuation (with the exception of snot) is mostly a private thing. However, unlike the evacuation of other bodily fluids, it's almost impossible to exercise any control over it. For example, I would be about as embarrassed as a human being can be if I wet or pooed myself in public and if I did, I would have to be really, really sick and I would hope people would have some compassion for me. I think for most people, they really do try to be private about v, but sometimes, it just overtakes a person. They can't help it.

Some of the above does make sense to me, because I came from a naval family, & we moved around all the time until I was 8, when my parents decided to settle in a really awful town. I know it`s about control, & that`s paramount to someone like me because I had none for most of my life. When it comes to vting, it`s not just control but also dignity, I mean, what`s more undignified for an adult than vting?
    Hairy in trying to look at it from your point of view, I think what I realized was that this IS the way you see vomiting (I mean clearly)..but since that is the way, of course you will fear it even more intensely- as I would if I viewed it as also a loss of dignity etc.

You have said things before that sound offensive, but I think what we can all take from this, is that it is coming from where Hairy is at in her emet. Clearly there has been some pretty deeply ingrained reactions and perceptions of vomiting through Hairy's life, and that has created the responses she has. It may (and does) come off as rude, but I truly believe it comes from the learned perception of it.

All this to say, in trying to understand why Hairy can come off so abrasive sometimes, I realized it helps to try to see her perspective, and realize that those responses aren't meant to offend... and frankly, I think it sounds terrible, to have v be such a horrible thing as how Hairy views it.. I can't imagine how hard that would be.

Anyways.. I agree with you Rexy about a lot of what this phobia boils down to- I love how your intellect broke it down, my brain can't process as succinctly as you, but I feel the exact same way (not saying that right.. I couldn't put it into words like you have, although I do feel it's exactly what you've concluded, at least for me and my emet).