Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Social Anxiety?

Default Social Anxiety?

So I've been thinking a lot this week and I've realised something, although I am still extremely terrified of v* the thing that causes me the most problems is worrying about getting anxious, and then getting anxious as a result. (Sorry the enter key isn't working) This year a lot of my friends are turning 18 which means a lot of parties, even though I love them I get extremely anxious before and during the first hour before I calm down and can enjoy it. I've realised that i'm not actually scared I'm going to be sick or that I have caught something,i know I won't, i'm scared that I will get too anxious which makes me more anxious! Does that make any sense? I feel like my emetophobia has caused me to develop some kind of social anxiety and it is getting unbearable now, to the point that it is stopping me from going out Has anyone else had any experience with this and has any advice I would be greatful because it is so depressing when you want to do something but your body rebels and wont let you!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Default Re: Social Anxiety?

Jessica, I definitely believe it can lead to other mental issues. I started with just emet and then by my early 20's the severe depression set in. I honestly believe that the emet caused the depression in that it totally had full control of my life. From there I got social phobia and was paranoid. I was so bad I would not even go to the mailbox if my neighbors were outside. I thought everyone was talking about and making fun of me. Finally went to a psychiatrist who said I was very sick. I now take Zoloft, been taking it for many years and it has helped me so much. I
    am not as well as I would like to be but, it does make my life tolerable.

Default Re: Social Anxiety?

I was the most outgoing girl ever in high school. I was a volleyball player and a cheerleader. I was always the first one to volunteer to present first in class because I knew everyone hated it; I, on the other hand, loved it. I remember going out for my 18th birthday.. didn't drink, I've never been a drinker.. without any hesitation. I remember going out for my friends 18th while she was away at college without hesitation (and unfortunately her college friend got alcohol poisoning and food poisoning at the same time! ). My life has completely changed in just two years. I also think that my emet has lead me to social anxiety.

It truly upsets me knowing that I'm a COMPLETELY different person than I was just two years ago. My 21st is shortly coming up so I do go to bars with my friends who casually drink, but the entire time my thoughts are "you're going to have an anxiety attack."

I wish I could tell you what to do to help it, but I'm currently going through the same thing. You want to do things sooo bad, but your mind is just thinking so irrationally you don't want to risk it There are times that it gets depressing.

-Victoria