Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: am i crazy???

Default am i crazy???

Ok so my kids have been sivk. It started last weekend on Saturday with my 2 year old vomiting. Then on Tuesday she got the runs and today is the first day she has had normal poos. I have veen so paranoid about me and my other child getting sick that I have been franticlly cleaning every chance I get. All surfaces and bedding daily and wasking my hands about 50 times a day. My girl has not had the runs since yesterday morning but I'm still cleaning... I know its stupid and probably not needed but I can't fight the urge... please tell me I'm not the only one that does this... please tell me I'm not the only one that panics at every times the kids or myself say they feel sick and keep cleaning and being paranoid for a week after every loose poo or sore stomach or vomit that happens.... I feel lile I'm nuts!!!!!!

Default Re: am i crazy???

You are far from nuts my friend! I don't have any kids, but I have a younger sibling, 2 nieces, and 2 nephews. If any of them even say "I don't feel good," (even if their parents reassure me they mean head/throat/nose/ears) I clean every area possible! I would say if it's been at least 48 hours since your daughter was last sick and no one else got sick.. you are in the clear. It may have not been a sv* but something didn't settle in her tummy the proper way. And it's not stupid and I feel as if it is completely needed! No one else needs to get sick and make you suffer from anxiety even more!

I hope everything works out for you

-Victoria

Thanks.... I hate feeling like I'm the only one ... it sucks arse that no one gets it hey... everyone just thinks its stupid worrying that much about an illness that will come and go and I can not prevent.. but they really don't know how hard it is . I mean I love my kids mpre then life itself but at times I can't even hold them because of it... grrr....... thanks

I seriously understand exactly how you're feeling! I can't even tell you how many times I've caried because no one in my house understand why I excessively clean when I hear someone is/was sick. It's absolutely awful hearing the words, "you're overreacting.. Just stop it." I have found sooo much comfort after I joined this site.

You are not alone!

You're NOT crazy!!!
    When I panic like that. Sanitizing everything seems to be the only thing that calms me down for the time being. But when I'm done and exhausted I sit there and panic again. I hope you guys stay well!

That's me all over.... I panic really bad and sanitize everything and then I'm fine for a bit and as soon as a relax I feel this over whelming feeling that germas are all around me so even tho I onoy just finished cleaning I have to do it all over again... bot to meantion that I wash my hands in between every littke thing I clean and now I have dry and cracking knuckles that are really sore... thanks

I do the exact same thing... As soon as I found out my husband was sick on Friday, I went on a cleaning frenzy. It gives me something to do with all the nervous energy, I feel. I cleaned EVERYTHING-- did laundry on hot and with bleach, ran dishwasher on sanitizing setting, set out bleach solution and monk wipes, took down all the hand towels and set paper towels out instead, lysoled fabrics, set out Zylast hand sanitizer... Even emptied out and scrubbed the freezer and frig. Like you all said, though, I feel okay for a little while after cleaning, then feel like I have to do it again. For me it is definitely an obsession & compulsion. So much work!
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne