Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question about contagiousness...

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here, things have been going really well and I haven't had many issues that are phobia related. I went surfing this morning and my buddy told me he heard one guy saying he didn't feel well, and that if he threw up it would get everyone out of the water (in a joking manner).

I don't know if he was actually sick and if he threw up in the water, but it has me a little on edge. Do you guys think if he had norovirus, I could catch it from this guy? I don't know if I was ever close to him in the water, I have no clue what he looked like or where he was surfing. I'm not freaking out yet, but I am certainly a little concerned. I'm thinking he didn't throw up then I can't catch what he may have had, but I can never be too sure.

Thanks for your thoughts, hope you are all doing well!

Default Re: Question about contagiousness...

Where were you surfing? I assume the ocean? If someone threw up in the ocean, I doubt anyone would get out of the water, and I am almost positive there is no way you could catch it from that....

Noroseason is over Just sporadic cases in the US. Prob not noro.

Glad you are doing better.

Unless you for some reason someone drank the water he puked in, I would think it would be very unlikely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I was surfing in the ocean. Yeah I don't know if he actually barfed out there but I know every time I surf I get water up in my nose and I swallow some. It's unavoidable. But so far I don't feel sick so I'm thinking I didn't catch anything (besides perfect waves)??

The likelihood would be very small considering the size of the ocean. In the summertime, you have to consider all the alcohol drinking, food poisoning, heat exhaustion and other non-contagious causes of sickness before assuming it's a virus (which are more common in the winter).