Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Stomach Virus.

Default Stomach Virus.

So someone in my family woke up sick with a stomach virus Tuesday night around 4:30 A.M. They got a little sick in the hallway, I woke up instantly and shut my door and then sprayed some disinfectant spray. That person stayed in their room the majority of the time, so I was never around them. It has been probably about 58 hours ago since this has happened. If I were to catch this, would it have happened by now?

Default Re: Stomach Virus.

I think it's pretty likely that you're going to escape this one Catie Bug. I would still assume that it might be around your house in smaller quantities so taking a few extra precatutions about what you eat isn't overly excessive and not putting your hands in/near your mouth unless just washed makes good sense. I think if it was going to get you though, 48 hrs is usually about the upper limit. The critical thing though is that is not from when the other person got sick but from potential exposure.

I was thinking so, I was just concerned because on this one site it said it could be up to 72 hours. The person cleaned up after their self and used bleach. I was just confused why some of them said 24-48 hours and one said 72 hours and thank you for your reply.

You will usually get symptoms by 48 hours. However, I have read that the virus comes out in the stool for up to 2 weeks, so the bathroom should be continually sprayed down after the ill person has used it.
    Also, I don't know how true this is, but I read that when it's in your house there is a longer period of time where you may contract it, because of it lingering on surfaces. When I had an SV that I caught from my Mom, I caught it exactly a week later. I was not taking precautions like you are, however.

So just keep doing what you're doing and I think you'll be fine!
    M I D N I G H T