Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile Hello, help with reflux and Prilosec please!!

Hi All,
    I am here asking for some advice and experiences. I think I told you all that I've been having voice problems for over a year now and had been to ENT's who said my vocal cords are okay. Finally had an upper endoscopy last summer and it showed some reflux esophagitis and a little gastritis. Right away they wanted to put me on Prilosec and I refused...I tried elevating the bed and papaya supplements. My voice came back this spring for a few months but now it's bad again. I also have a sore throat and burning...sooo, back to a different GI doc, who said the only thing to do is take Prilosec, 40mg TWICE a day, for a few months and then have another endoscopy. He said I basically have Barrett's esophagus, which I'm sure some of you know can lead to cancer if not addressed, not always, but sometimes...

So, I am resigning myself to take the Prilosec. My questions are: Does it cause any side effects, like n* or ___? Also, does messing with the acids in your stomach lead to not digesting food properly and/ or not being able to fight off bacteria, etc? And I heard it can cause brittle bones when on it for a long time.

I am just nervous to take this much and have other problems. What experiences have you all had...I guess there are several of you with these issues. Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Hello, help with reflux and Prilosec please!!

I was on Prilosec for two years and didn't have any side effects. It helped me out so much. Even when I wasn't feeling like I was acid attack I took it to help my n*. I waited a long time to start taking it because I was scared because i had taken nexium and it made me feel sick but it got to a point where I had no choice. I'm glad I did. I hope this helps you some.

Prilosec didnt help me at all. But no side effects. I turned to generic Zantac 150. But if you have all that you may need it to heal you. I don't think the Zantac cures issues. I haven had a scope in years so I have no idea what's going on with me.

But take it. The worse thing that can happen is you might feel better :-) best of luck!

Okay, I'm doing a lot of reading and I've been seeing that not having acid in your stomach will not digest your food or absorb the nutrients needed. And worse, it says that by not having this acid, you are more susceptible to bacterial infections, GI infections, etc! All the "natural" people say DO NOT take this, and my doc just handed it out like candy AND told me I would probably need to be on it indefinitely...I am not happy!!!

Everybody is different so please remember that when I post.

4 years ago, I was put on that pill. I couldn't take it. I have a horrible nausea and general gastric malaise the whole time. Awkwardly, after trying it for 2 days and quitting, I haven't had any acid problems for 2 years. *shrugs*