Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emet recovery system - a realisation

There's an exercise in this which asks you to write down why you really fear v*ing and I came up with -
    "I fear that i feel v* is not normal or acceptable and is dirty and embarrasing and abnormal. I fear v*ing where I can be seen and heard (i'm same with d*too if people could hear it). I need to be completely calm, composed and by myself in a room. I would feel more embarrased than scared if people were around when it happened"

maybe im NOt phobic of it(the actual act), just where,if people could see or hear me do it. maybe ive convinced myself i am scared of actual v*(well i guess we all have in dif ways)

So does anyone think they may even *not* be either afriad of themselves or others v*, or both but be afraid of themself just in certain circumstances(eg where you cant be alone if you ended up about to v* on a train an there was no toilet where you could go to be alone) etc?:s

or would mine be totally related to socialphobia emet in that case?
    This has totallyy been on my mind.

Iv been watching these guys on youtube who do excessive eating competitons , trying to see that v* is normal and natural and everyon does it, some even for fun!!!

Default Re: Emet recovery system - a realisation

I would say I'm more anxious if I feel n* in a public place whereas if I am at home it doesn't bother me as much (still bothers me though, a hell of a lot).

I think a factor that plays a key role in the phobia are the social elements too and it worsens if someone is in a situation they cannot escape from to v*. In your case though it seems like its more of a social emet rather than emet in general (which does exist and can be just as debilitating) as you say that if you're alone you feel as if you can v*.

Ant

Default Re: Emet recovery system - a realisation

That's really good that it's helped you realize that! does it give you tips of dealing with the feelings that that task brings up?

I think personally my biggest problems with vomiting are the chaos that it causes (e.g. in a house where one person falls ill, then the next), the feelings of being trapped and almost held hostage by nausea! and also the actually feelings of stomach viruses BUT do you think those things count?? I'm not embarrassed particularly about vomiting, I'm not bothered about mess in general so I don't know what caused mine!