Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does your panic attack feel like - signs and symptoms

Hi all,

it has stood out to me that many emetophobics succumb to panic attacks on a daily basis also like myself. I am also quite intrigued too how these panic attacks can actually make us feel as if as though we actually we have a stomach bug, virus, food poisoning etc.

it would be great if you could share some of your signs and symptoms and where/when they are most likely to occur to you! Regards,

Default Re: What does your panic attack feel like - signs and symptoms

When I have Panic attacks I struggle to breath and feel dizzy and my heart starts racing and I get tingly fingers I get them mostly if I feel n* or think ive been exposed

you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I always actully feel like I'm going to be sick, like I can feel it in my throat, that's possably the worst symptom, I also get the a racing heart, dry mouth,feeling shakey, dizzy and one time even passing out, it depends on what has happend to me to cause me to panic, I often pacnic more if it's someone else being sick and I can't get away.

Usually my heart starts racing, I have a feeling of n* in my throat, I start shaking like crazy (last night I couldn't even type!), my mouth gets dry, and my mouth feels odd. It's annoying and terrifying at the same time.

Thank you all for your comments! It appears I feel quite similar - I too usually get a racing heart, shakes (occasionally), feel very bloated, nausea, very fatigued, and a feeling like I'm about to v*. Does anyone else suffer from these similar symptoms?? it's quite odd because the symptoms we hate and fear of feeling we actually feel on a daily basis! it's as if as though we have a constant upset stomach

With anxiety I feel some throat n* at times, sometimes I get shaky, or just have an overall feeling of nervousness. When it's a panic attack, I literally feel like I am about to v*. I have convinced myself that I have a bug many times, and once I calm down or take my anxiety meds, I feel fine.
    M I D N I G H T

My breath quickens a little, I grab a lock of my hair and press it against my mouth, and I get shaky while it feels like my nerves are shot in my chest. I don't usually get anything else now-a-days.

I always get a tightness in my throat like I am being strangled. My chest hurts like I am having chest pains and I get dizzy....most of the time I dont feel nauseous but I do if I am having a panic attack because I already am nauseous then its a completely different panic attack when my heart starts racing and my fingers and face get tingly and my face gets hot and then my mouth goes dry (but I think that is because I breath out of my mouth when I dont feel good)

every time i panic i feel like i'm about to be sick. my heart races way too fast, i hyperventilate so much its hard to breath. those two things make me dizzy, its hard to stand up striaght, but i refuse to sit during a panic attack, i have to pace around the room. i often fall over. i get pins and needles in my face, back, feet and hands. i get this awful sense of de-personalisation, where you feel like your not in your body, but watching it all unfold. all that smashed together, makes me feel like i'm about to die. as you guys all know, its not fun. oh, and for some reason i have to curl up my hand and press it against my right eye. dunno what thats about haha
    feel free to check out my tumblr; Em's Flying- laughing in the face of anxiety
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3

My anxiety/panic attacks mainly involve shaking of my whole body, like shivering but more violent. I will definately feel sick, and feel like v*. My jaw cleches and i have trouble trying to talk. Although if I keep at that long enough, I eventually made myself v*. But that was when I kept convincing myself that i was going to be sick. Thats what the bosy does. You tell it somethign long enough, it will do it. I also find that getting my mind off of it, like watching a good movie or youtube videos, even doing some chores can get your mind off of it and then the panic attack goes away. I have had that many that I know I won't ever v* from it so I eventually calm down.

Usually starts with a little trouble breathing, like something is pressing on my chest. Usually I have to go to the bathroom, #2, and if the anxiety continues it turns to D. Shaky, arms might get numb, very tired (if it is really bad I will essentially pass out), but I also just tend to sit on the couch. N, but never V. I have had my temp go up a degree or so, never to 100 degrees though. Irritable and angry. Can't eat if it is really bad, even swallow medicine. I have several times that I don't know if I actually got S from my kids' SV (but only D not V) or if it was anxiety. I also tend to have a day or two after the really really bad ones that feel like I have been S and I am recovering, weak and dizzy, very small appetite, etc.

I know I'm about to have a panic attack when the nausea sets in that is my very first symptom, then the racing heart, hot flashes or cold ones depends, then i start shaking..nausea is the worst, but have never V'd

I have a new panic symptom, I actually start gagging now.. This only started in the last couple of weeks and has me housebound. Does anyone else get this? Any advice?
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I get the same as what most of you have described, particularly racing heart and throat nausea. It usually lasts around 20-25 minutes (if it's during the day). However If I were to have one at night/in the night, could actually be hours back and forth. I think the night is worse because it's dark and you feel hemmed in.

It'd be quite interesting to know if anyone has ever actually v* from this, I think it calms us more knowing not many have!

I know anxiety can make some people V, when my husband used to auto race with a friend who was having financial problems he would V from anxiety on those weekends away spending too much money. I think for us though, so many of us don't V unless it is really bad, but the N is usually more than enough.

I know anxiety and nerves can make people v* but I was wondering specifically about emetophobes? I mean, we're quite resilient aren't we (and some emets suffer nerves/panic attacks daily). I think it's something in the brain, like because we fear it, the defense is stronger? I did read something like that anyway.

It's usually heart racing, then shaking, then dizziness. I think the latter two are caused by the first one. Once in a while, it will actually turn to n* (maybe the sudden rush of stomach acid from the panic?), but never v*.

In the last few weeks, I feel I have come close to throwing up from panic attacks. It didn't actually happen, but I was gagging so it may happen yet. This is a new symptom for me.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

IBS plays up, so I get worried if it's that or an actual cause of alarm that I'm ill. Then I start to get this feeling to burp/be s*, which half of the time leads into gagging or throwing up air. (Sometimes reflux pops back up and it freaks me out even more.)

Also, my heart races, I sweat, get a wee bit hot, feel n* and feel like I want to die. Sometimes I talk to myself to try and keep my body from not going to bad.

Luckily I do have ways to lowering my attacks, which involve chewing gum, playing a game or watching Monty Python's Holy Grail.

I've got this atm. I keep replaying in my mind if what i've eaten is gonna make me sick. I have throat nausea and feel adgatated

Nausea, dry mouth, sometimes light-headed. My mind can really trick me into thinking I'm going to be sick when I'm having an anxiety attack... I feel it in my throat and stomach but it never happens of course. So after all of the times of dealing with this and it not happening, I would think I could get over it easily but I don't.

I also don't eat very much due to this phobia which is as stupid as it gets I know, but that's the reality for me and trust me, it doesn't help. I think it creates a lot of those panic situations because hunger can make you feel nauseous and naturally makes you feel weak and undernourished, and just sick overall.

I try to tell myself it's better than being full and bloated, because I hate that just as much as it makes me feel sick as well, but it probably isn't true. If I ate properly I might not be so susceptible the shaky, nauseous lightheadedness and other things. I don't know if anyone else has that issue too but it is a problem for me with the panic attacks!
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    Nausea, dry mouth, sometimes light-headed. My mind can really trick me into thinking I'm going to be sick when I'm having an anxiety attack... I feel it in my throat and stomach but it never happens of course. So after all of the times of dealing with this and it not happening, I would think I could get over it easily but I don't.

I also don't eat very much due to this phobia which is as stupid as it gets I know, but that's the reality for me and trust me, it doesn't help. I think it creates a lot of those panic situations because hunger can make you feel nauseous and naturally makes you feel weak and undernourished, and just sick overall.

I try to tell myself it's better than being full and bloated, because I hate that just as much as it makes me feel sick as well, but it probably isn't true. If I ate properly I might not be so susceptible the shaky, nauseous lightheadedness and other things. I don't know if anyone else has that issue too but it is a problem for me with the panic attacks!
    Hey, yeah I barely eat these days either. I like to feel "empty" or some sort of hunger to know I am not ill which does mean I get pretty light headed if I start to panic.

Yep! Me too!
    I go in phases sort of. Usually when I have a lot to do and have to be out and about often, I don't eat much at all. I can get pretty light-headed and dizzy (not spinning dizzy but off-balance feeling) from it. Some really bad hunger stomach pain too. From a heath standpoint it has to be way way worse for us, right? :/

We feel better psychologically because our stomach is empty so we won't v* but the rest of our body is freaking out from not getting enough nutrients. Ugh. And with it creating even more problems to overcome like the anxiety.

We should probably eat normally, haha.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

Mine is similar as well...pounding heart, even through the mattress when you are trying to sleep, that's the worst! I get shaky and nauseous...most of my panic is being afraid I will get sick. I hate to say that in the past I have made myself sick from panic. But I feel now that I have meds to help, and I have more wisdom than I did, and know my body more...
    I do find that pressing on your wrist (acupressure point for n*) really does help. It's about 2 finger widths down from your wrist, between the tendons. But all this panic is a horrible feeling...usually happens to me at night. Feel all alone!

When I have panic attacks I feel really hot. My head especially, the back of my neck and my palms. I feel weak and dizzy and gag a lot. It started off this way but eventually I did end up v*. After this happened my brain unfortunately told my body that panic attacks will make me sick and i kept believing it would happen. For me I had anxiety disorder first but as a result of my panic attack symptoms I developed emetophobia too.

I think I have a lot of anxiety/fear attacks and then full blown panic attacks.

Throat nausea is the usual suspect. I become very fidgety and shaky. Dizziness causes me a great deal of anxiety which automatically leads to throat nause and the cycles just goes round and round.

My actual panic attacks I cry and pace and have a strong urge to gag.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop the heaving/gagging when panicing? I don't want to leave the house anymore and have canceled a lot of work recently due to this..

jptk, I would try different things...like is it better if you sip water, or have a mint, or something hot, or is it better if you lie down, or distract yourself. Are you gagging because you feel nauseous? Maybe there is a pressure point for gag reflex...you could look it up. Keep trying and hang in there!!

I never have nausea with panic, just a racing pulse, shakes, & a feeling that people know what`s happening & are staring at me.

I never get full blown panic attacks but I get anxiety attacks. I don't know if those who really are different, but they are in my head haha.. Like, people around me probably can't see it happening and I look in control probably (unless it gets like really bad of course) but on the inside I'm losing all control and feeling like I'm going to faint or run away.
    It starts with dizziness and elevated heartbeat and my breathing getting really deep (like when you're nervous) and my whole body goes weak, like it's protesting. It's really difficult to walk haha.. After that I get really disconnected, have a hard time focusing on things, and then I start shaking. Like, bad.
    It happened once while I was in the line to the registry in the grocery store. Imagine trying to put your card in that machine (what is it called? Haha. Swede here!!) when you're shaking so bad you can barely stand. Hahaha! I got through it though.