Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What triggered your fear?

I don't know if this is rare but it wasn't just one event that triggered my fear. The event happened many times and each time my fear and anxiety increased greatly. My little sister always used to get car sick when we were young. After she v* then my parents would make me hug and comfort her. Every emets worst nightmare right? This happened on a weekly basis for many years. Each day now I dread school. I can't go places with my friends and me and my little sis have a bad relationship now. My life has spiraled out of control! Has more than one event triggered your fear for anyone else?

Default Re: What triggered your fear?

It was one event that started it for me, which was an anaphylactic reaction to peanuts when I was very very young. I just remember running to the bathroom, getting sick, then stumbling out of the bathroom and having trouble breathing. I may have passed out, I'm not sure. I was really little. I know it was a close call. My family rushed me to the doctor and I was okay, but had they not been there I could have died.

My emet stayed relatively mild (hated it and freaked out when I was near it, etc.) until my bf got too drunk and was sick in bed beside me in his sleep. That is what triggered the extensive fears. At that point I had trouble functioning throughout the day. After about a year I got tired of being terrified all the time and went to therapy. Now I'm doing pretty well, thankfully.

So yeah, there were definitely specific events that molded my phobia. On the flipside, there are specific events that have helped me see how far I've come as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

One specific event started my emet, but it's actually a recurring thing.

In 1st grade, a girl v in my classroom at the end of the school day.. my teacher had a panic attack right in front of all of the kids, ran to get a plastic bag, was yelling for the nurse loudly.. it was just a complete 'overreaction' of sorts that really made me fear v itself. I hid under my desk with my ears plugged until I could run out of the room when 3:15 hit. Because in that point in my life, my teacher was almost like my 'mother figure' away from home, and if she thought something was bad, it had to be bad, right?

Through my life though, my mom has always overreacted like my teacher did that time every single moment that I said my stomach hurt. She'd panic frantically, thus making me panic in return. Because again, if mom acted as if it was bad, it was really really bad.

Basically, my panic has stemmed from well.. panic. Recurring panic. My emet of course has other factors into it, but the panic thing is a big one. The teacher incident is my first memory of v. So yeah, sort of more than one event for me, just in a different way!
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost

Don't let anxiety win.

I was always somewhat frightened of vting as a child, because it happened to me several times when I was growing up, & as I never saw anyone else in my family v, i thought that I had something seriously wrong with me & my parents didn`t want to discuss it with me. I think that it was because I couldn`t understand what was happening, & why it was happening. The event that really made me fear vting in a big way was the terrible hangover in 1997, where I kept vting, & I actually wondered if i was going to die at one point.

I'm not really sure. I remember my mom catching some stomach bugs that my brother had, and I'd hear her throwing up and get really scared for her. I don't think there was one specific event for me, I think it's more the way it makes me feel when it happens - no control over it, horrible feeling altogether.....those things make me scared of it.

When i look back I think mine was a combo of two events that happened close together.
    One was I myself got sick at school. First on the bus, then again in the hallway. I was 8 years old. That morning I had told my mom I didn't feel well and she said I was fine. I wasn't fine.
    Then my brother got sick in the back seat of the car on the way home from the grocery store. I remember plugging my ears and crying the whole way home. I assume by this event I was already somewhat emet based on my reaction.

I was a very shy kid. I think being sick in public really traumatized me. I can name EVERY single kid from 1st grade to senior year who ever got sick in class.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”

Quote Originally Posted by Laursax1 View Post
    I don't know if this is rare but it wasn't just one event that triggered my fear. The event happened many times and each time my fear and anxiety increased greatly. My little sister always used to get car sick when we were young. After she v* then my parents would make me hug and comfort her. Every emets worst nightmare right? This happened on a weekly basis for many years. Each day now I dread school. I can't go places with my friends and me and my little sis have a bad relationship now. My life has spiraled out of control! Has more than one event triggered your fear for anyone else?
    I can't remember because it was so long ago and I was too young, so from my perspective I've had it all my life.

i almost seem to have always had a weird fascination with it from a pretty young age. I can remember standing outside the bathroom when I was about three listening to my dad being really ill and kind of being scared but also confused and not necessarily wanting to run away. my mum made me come away though.
    my trigger happened when i was four or five, and it wasn't even real vomit. I was watching the UK hospital drama Casualty and this little kid was sick and I just freaked out so hard. I had a full blown panic attack and my dad spent three hours calming me down. He took me into the spare bedroom and he read books to me and he got out my train set and we built a track and rolled marbles down it. I remember it all so clearly as if it happened yesterday.
    After that I was kind of ok with people being sick in real life at school and such, and again I sort of was almost fascinated by it. I always told my mum about it and I always couldn't look away even though it was really grossing me out. I even had food poisoning when I was 6 and even though I was really miserable I didn't freak out too much. But that was the last time I ever v'd (TOUCH WOOD!!) and I am 20 now. And since then it's been a downward spiral to the point where I can't see it on TV (anybody seen Team America? not even puppet puking), I run a mile in real life and I have severe panic attacks when I'm confronted with potential situations for me or family members that might have infected me and as a result extreme coping mechanisms. So it's kind of been a gradual thing to me, but it's been the way it is now since I was 12 I would say.

Well I was fine with v* i vaguely remember being fine with it till an experience wtih what I think I assumed was food poisning but coulve been an sv.

***graphic warning**

wEll I v'd so darn much with that it was awful and i recall how awful it was! I v'd absolutely everywhere. I felt no relief from the v'ing. Mayb that scared me of it. I remember the day after the incident too at least I think it was the same incident, I felt so ill I didn't want to move. In typing that it does soud like it was a particularly bad ilness assume thats where i ctually developed emet and nobody figured what was wrong with me. I had emet then how some here have it now i remember id sleep with a tub beside my bed like an icecream container or something because i was so scared itd happen again and i wouldnt eat properly then. i probably wanted reassured what happened to me was probaly just some virus(yeah,the way i should think of it)! but i did not speak to anyone about it and was socialy anxious. think was socally anxious regarding v before that though actually.
    any other v incidence must have been so insignificant in developing this fear that ive blocked them out cos that one was the worse!

Being born triggered my fear.

Seriously, I've been emetophobic since before age 2. It started with a fear of hearing my mom gag, which she does loudly. Then it progressed to hearing/seeing ANYONE vomit other than myself. Finally, it expanded to include myself and a general fear of germs. I can truly say it's gotten much worse over the years despite my knowing it's irrational.

My dad, grandpa and aunt all have it to varying degrees. My aunt is an EMT who doesn't flinch at blood and guts but will try to jump out of the ambulance if someone pukes! Grandpa hasn't vomited since 1973 and dad has only done so once in my life when I was 3. Yes, I remember it vividly.

Apparently, there's a strong genetic link for some specific phobias. Emetophobia is thought to be an adaptive mechanism that allowed people to avoid getting sick during plagues or from eating bad food. Just a theory of course
    Last edited by Aspie Grrrl; 05-30-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspie Grrrl View Post

Apparently, there's a strong genetic link for some specific phobias. Emetophobia is thought to be an adaptive mechanism that allowed people to avoid getting sick during plagues or from eating bad food. Just a theory of course
    I find this fascinating - I cannot remember a specific incident that I have flashbacks too, I think it's something that developed over time, with a big influence being my Mother - she's emetophobic to an extent. She's absolutely fine if she's sick herself, but other people is a whole different story - she can't even stand her pets being sick. When I caught a standard SV going round school when I was quite young, I remember my Mum running in the other direction when I dashed to the bathroom. She used to mute/look away when it was on TV as well.

As my CBT has progressed however, I've become a lot better at coping with other people being sick - however I still have a LONG way to go in terms of dealing with even nausea myself.

This might be a bit graphic so don't read if you're easily triggered
    My sister and i were rooming together and we had our beds with like 4 feet (!!) space in between them. She usually made a lot of noise during the nights and i got distracted by it easily so i was awake doing absolutely nothing in the middle of the night. Out of nowhere she wakes up and just v*s on the floor, right beside me!! If she had just v*d like.. discretely, i don't think it would have triggered anything but it was for such a long time and she was burping and gagging really loudly and i was so shocked and surprised and disgusted and i think that was what triggered my phobia. Oddly enough though, i still stayed in the same room as her (turned out she had fp* so i was in the clear) and she v*d again a couple of hours later. And i didn't react with any fear. I can't explain that!!

I can't really remember one event that triggered my phobia. I can remember every single time that I have v*d from about the age of 6 (which when thinking about it wasn't a lot in relation to other children I knew) As a child I don't really remember being that scared of it when it was happening but I did go though a stage when I was about 7/8 when I didn't eat very much which made my parents very worried. Now as an adult (26) I have vivid flashbacks to episodes of illness I had as a child which seems to reinforce the fear (I haven't v*d in 10 years) I am currently going through CBT therapy and have been asked by my therapist what triggered my phobia to which my answer was 'I don't really know.' When asking my parents if they knew of anything that could have triggered it that I may not remember or have blocked out they told me about an incident that happened when I was 3/4 years old where I had some sort of fit/seizure where I v*d everywhere and lost control of my bodily functions (this was a one off thing and docs didn't find anything wrong with me) I have no idea if it was this that triggered it as I have no memory of it

I've had a few events that probably led to my phobia. I've had this for as long as I can remember, I just didn't know know it was a real thing. One event that I think really gave me the fear happened when I was about 7. I was really sick with the flu and I just remember thinking I was going to die. I wouldn't eat anything, and that only made it worse and more painful. Another thing that I think may have caused it for me is I have always felt like I need to have everything in my life under control, and to me v*ing is so unpredictable. I mean, other people can just get sick with no warning. I used to always get really mad at kids who would v* in class because I would think, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? WHY WOULDN'T LEAVE!" and after something like that would happen I would think of them so differently. As if they were forever gross and covered in germs. Whenever I feel nauseous I instantly go into a panic because I feel like I have pretty much forgotten how to v*, since it's been so long since I have. I don't know. I also find myself really afraid of germs.. that may be it.

Mine also started when i was very young, my sister would get sick ALL the time, at least once a month with an sv* and she would throw up uncontrollably anywhere and everywhere, and my mum would panic over it thinking she was seriously ill. My main fear back then was being in the car or a place i couldn't escape from if she was v* which would cause a panic attack. Then it progressed to panic attacks if she ever got sick, then panic attacks if anyone else got sick, then anticipatory anxiety over the fact she 'could get sick and any moment'. Then the avoidance behaviours kicked in, i refused to ride in cars, refused to share our bedroom - slept downstairs everynight etc. But i wasn't afraid to get sick myself, i never picked anything up from my sister so it didn't cross my mind. The only time i had an sv was when i was 12 and i only v* 2 times, i didn't like it, but i wasn't panicking or anything. Then as we got older my sister grew out of her constant sickness and i became less panicky. Then one day out of the blue last year i had a panic attack in the middle of a store, felt like i was going to throw up and HAD to get out of there. That's when i started avoiding stores in case i couldn't escape fast enough if i needed to throw up. Then i started avoiding everything, not going out anywhere. Then i had constant panic attacks in my home, i hated the thought of v* in front or around anyone so barely left my room. I had constant daily nausea and felt awful. Luckily now i have pushed through some anxiety and can go out for short periods of time. It has been very difficult and i still struggle daily. But i know we can all get past this and live our lives

It was in 1998 when I was like 6.

We had a party. They brought a 2 year old-ish there who was drinking too much hot chocolate (seriously, TOO MUCH, the bottle was bigger than her face). A half hour later the girl vomited it all out (brown - still can't forget the colour!). She was vomiting like an adult - it was too much vomit. Three large blobs that a typical drunkard would do (nothing against her, she's only a kid lol). The smell stayed there for the whole night. It was traumatizing. I couldn't escape that horrendous smell.

Even the years before this we had traumatizing vomiting events - once me and my sister both had the bug and we're vomiting in front of each other and with each other - this was like a race. It was a vomit-fest!

She also had the worst vomiting disease of her life when she couldn't even stop vomiting. She was vomiting all day and night.

My 90s childhood, although I quite missed it, was full of tremendous vomiting. That's why I got this phobia.

Does anybody else remember v* when they were a child, younger than maybe 8? I remember v* then and never taking a care in the as to why and how it happened. Then one time, when I was 9, I had tonsillitis. i ruined our annual overseas holiday from v*. THAT is when my fear started, and the triger was .... TASTE! That's right. My masive fear today is not from the act of v*, but the taste. A lot of other emetophobes have told me that that is a stupid thing to fear about v*. They're liek, 'What about not being able to breath, choking etc.' I'm like, NUP. If it tasted liek what I last ate, then I will be happy to v*. unfortunately, that will never happen. So I am in fear of everything since. I hope this was a helpful insight into one of the many reasons why/how the fear started.

When I was about 9, or 10(??), can't remember exactly, I had am AWFUL SV*, I think.. but I was v* for two weeks straight. Can't remember if I had d* or anything though, but all I remember was v* everyday, all day for 2 weeks and lost over a stone in weight. After that, I said to myself 'enough is enough, I'm NEVER going to catch a SV* like that ever again'.

I kept getting SV*s EVERY year when I was below the age of 9, and hated EVERY single one. I was always crying, and at one point, wishing that someone would murder me. My hand washing hygiene was absolutely atrocious back then, though. I just didn't give a crap about it. Thing is, now I have developed OCD because I am constantly washing my hands.

Hmm, it's weird because I have never felt 'normal' since that last bout of illness... What I mean is, I have had issues with my digestive tract, and stomach ever since. Anyone else the same?
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

My oldest daughter's fear was triggered when a school mate got sick right next to her. We also know she had a genetic pre-disposition to anxiety/depression (a grandmother with anxiety and an aunt & uncle with depression) and believe that stress over time in the home contributed. She developed a fear of other people getting sick. Her little sister did not develop her fear from a single event, but rather from watching the panic her older sister experienced around it and from being the recipient of her sister's rejection of her for a couple of years since she had gotten sick a couple of times. She developed a fear of getting sick herself.

I'm jealous of the people that can pinpoint when/why emet set in! I don't have the slightest idea when it happened for me, or why. It's been as far back as I can remember. I wasn't sick much as a kid, nor was anyone else in my family. I can't recall any traumatic instances. I've never had to clean it, or gotten it on me.

This may be quite a stretch and will probably sound ridiculous, but for years now, the one and only thing that I've ever come up with is this: I'm an engineer and have a very mechanical mind. To me, v*ing has always seemed extremely unnatural to me. A hundred people could tell me that it's a natural thing to happen, and lots of people do it, and it still won't stick in my head. I've done it, and it still doesn't make sense! I've been chasing down the answer to the title of this thread for most of my life and haven't come up with much, so I've made some pretty convoluted justifications to it along the way.

Annoyingly I do remember not being emet but having had v* experiences. I remember how it is to feel normal about v* and I honestly feel I can feel that way again, I really don't think we should have to suffer this emet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Does anybody else remember v* when they were a child, younger than maybe 8? I remember v* then and never taking a care in the as to why and how it happened. Then one time, when I was 9, I had tonsillitis. i ruined our annual overseas holiday from v*. THAT is when my fear started, and the triger was .... TASTE! That's right. My masive fear today is not from the act of v*, but the taste. A lot of other emetophobes have told me that that is a stupid thing to fear about v*. They're liek, 'What about not being able to breath, choking etc.' I'm like, NUP. If it tasted liek what I last ate, then I will be happy to v*. unfortunately, that will never happen. So I am in fear of everything since. I hope this was a helpful insight into one of the many reasons why/how the fear started.
    I am exactly the same. Taste! Can't stand it, it makes me fear it so much!

I don't know when I got my phobia but I guess it was the first time I truly was ill with a bug around 6. I just remember the taste and the sight. Still to this day, I will not eat chocolate orange or cream of chicken soup.

Also, my grandmother, she has extreme emetophobia too, she can't talk about even having the phobia as it includes the ideals of v*. Makes me wonder if it's inherited or genetic to some degree.
    Last edited by Amesuki; 07-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Mine started when I was young enough to still be in a crib. I remember that I was crying and then started to V in my crib and I couldn't climb out I just sat there and cried and my mother didn't come help me for what seemed like hours to me. I asked her about this to see if it was a bad dream but she confirmed finding me screaming in my crib sitting in V when I was about 2 years old. Having chronic IBS has never helped things either.

I remember 2 episodes when I was a child that didn't bother me too much. It wasn't until 10 years ago that I woke up in the middle of the night and ended up *v a few times. I couldn't eat normally for 2 years after that. I think it's the whole loss of control thing that scares me. I keep pepto and drammamine in every room of my house and carry it with me at all times. My profession....a pediatric nurse. Sigh....

^Similar to me, but with me I know it's not a control thing, I'm not sure what it is with me, Id probably put it sone to some embarrasment/rejection/social phobia fear. I know there isnt a great deal of control with v* but that doesnt bother me, Im not really bothered if I v*d for ages, its something else with me. Desperately want to know what. Hopoefully I will do with therapy.

I know exactly when mine started, I was 14 (so older than most here) and until then I had had plenty of sv and always been able to v without any major issue. This one time my brother had the sv, then the rest of my family and I was the last woman standing. I started feeling nauseated and I knew it would happen eventually, but could not force it, so I sat on the cold toilet floor for hours, waiting for the inevitable. I remember just sitting there, not knowing when this awful thing would start and while I was quite calm then and there (much more calm than I am now was I in that situation) that wait killed me. That sv also triggered coeliac disease, so I never fully recovered from that bug, feeling sick for years afterwards (though never v again for many many years). I used to take metoclopramide in secret before going to bed so I would be able to fall asleep nausea free.
    Once I got diagnosed, changed my diet and stopped feeling nausea the phobia got better and I was able to live fear free for years, though hearing or seeing someone else ving made me a bit panicky, now I cannot even face it. I even moved to Africa for a year, ate most everything and was ok (though I had some antiemetics on hand, I never once v there! I did on a visit back home though).
    It got really bad again less than a year ago. Unlike many here, I did have a few episodes of v in the last few years (three in the last 5 or 6 years, 2 of them made me go to the hospital not because they were particularly bad, but because I always hope they can give me something that will stop it. They never do in this country (the UK, they did in Spain where I grew up)) and still was sort of semi-ok (I do panic and cry and make it worse that way, but I don't die, which is what I feel like I will), but then when I read about noro this November, I just got panicked and now, 9 months later, I still am. I take antimetics fairly regularly, and have asked for mental health help and am nearly done with a "self help" CBT-like short therapy run (they only gave me 4 sessions).

It's not one specific event that triggered my fear, but more like a chain of events added together. I remember my brother v*ing when I was really young, about 5-6 years old. I also remember specific events where I got sick, and I can still remember each one. It just got worse with age, I guess. I'm 14 now. The worst part of v* for me is the panic moments before. When it actually happens, it's not so bad for me. But it's the dread, the feeling that you KNOW it's going to happen, just moments before. It's a terrible feeling.

I think it was also a chain of events that triggered my fear as well. No one knows that I actually have this fear. But it goes back to my childhood where I was often sick and my mother was far from ever being very sympathetic or caring when I vomited. She'd often stand there and shoot rude comments at me or tell me that I was doing it wrong. Really how do you vomit wrong? It's just a natural reflex that the body does! On top of that my brother was constantly sick all the time but was constantly dramatic about it. If he was sick, he obviously was going to die or something. He'd get car sick a lot and I'd be stuck in a tight back seat of the family truck with him. I constantly feared when he'd vomit. I suffer from inflammatory bowel disease so it has been a constant battle for me with nausea. I will go to vomit but I am unable to now and I don't know if it's because it is psychological that I am unable to or not. It will take a lot for me to actually do it.

I remember the instant I became emet. It was the perfect storm which cemented every fear I had into...THIS. I was never the same after that. Some days I feel like the Lord Almighty is just fucking with me...engineering my fears like his own Little Albert.

The first time I absolutely freaked out I was 7 or 8 years old. Was happily walking with my school friends to the back gate where our mums used to pick us up after school. My mum was there with my little sister waiting by the car like always but something wasn't right. My sister had just v all over my mum. I lost it. I felt this overwhelming sense of fear that took over. I refused to get in the car. I didn't want to be near my sister. I cried and screamed. In the end my friends mum offered to drop me home. I was so scared the entire car trip. I didn't want to go home. My sister had some sort of bug and was v for days.

It just seemed to continue from that point in time.