Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New teen member, a few questions about emetophobia

Background: Hey. So I am a new member, I am actually a teenager (17 yrs) and have had emet since I last v* (when I was 10). My emet journey has been a little different than others- I developed bad emet after last v* 7 years ago, when I was 11/12/13 the emet was terrible. Somehow, during the ages 14-16, my emet sort of disappeared; it was still there, but minimal. At this time, I had many friends, hung out with them everyday, played 2 sports, and did a bunch of activities. I am not sure if being busy made me forget about emet. I was so happy because I thought I was cured, I finally had a life! Fast forward to this year, suddenly I developed SEVERE emet, way worse than before. I now never hang out with my friends, I've actually lost most of them due to bailing out on plans because of emet; I also am not involved in any activities/sports anymore. I really hate seeing my teenage years being wasted on emet. It's really difficult for me to do anything, or leave my house. Also, during my minimal emet years, I NEVER had a stomachache, ever. Now, since my emet became severe, EVERY SINGLE DAY, there is something wrong with me. And everyday the sensations are different, my symptoms are weird, I burp a lot (idk why.....). So basically my questions are:
    1. Are these aches and pains related to anxiety? Like I said, I never had them when I had minimal emet but I'm still scared and feel like a baby.
    2. How can I get rid of them? I really don't want to resort to taking anti-emetics, they're really addicting.
    3. Why did I relapse when I was doing so well and how can I reverse my emet? What are some small steps I can take? Right now, I've trained myself to be okay leaving the house within walking distance. I want to try CBT, but the emet therapist in my region has a 10 month waiting list, and other therapies are $150/hr....

Thanks for reading my post!

Default Re: New teen member, a few questions about emetophobia

Anyone?

Hi, I hope you feel better soon:-) Yes, anxiety will wreak havoc with our bodies, causing aches, pains, chest pain, stomach pains, just to mention a few! I highly recommend Mindfulness exercises, I listen to a cd of Dr Russ Harris. He has such a soothing voice, the exercises are so helpful. Meditation or yoga soul also be great, whichever takes your fancy. It is all about calming the mind. Also, listen to your self talk, when we are anxious, we make it worse by our negative self talk ie. Omg, this is going to happen, or that is going to happen etc, and this leads to panic. Also, avoidance feeds our fear, so push yourself further, little by little, to do things. By doing this you will learn those things you fear actually won't happen. Keeping the mind busy is great, and exercise which uses our adenalin is also good, cycling, swimming, running, sport etc. I hope some of this helps. Cheers, Daniela

Hey, I know exactly what you are going through. i am 19 and have suffered emet since i was 10.

Everyrthing Daniela has mentioned is so true and she is extremely knowledgable in this field

I saw a leading expert of phobias who gave me many great tips on self control and minimising the intensity of my anxiety attacks. I was going through stages where i would install in my mind the idea that something i ate may have been 'off' and my mind would run with it and i would start stressing over what is likely to come (v**).. my heart reached up to 210 bbp and i would sweat profusely, i used tips i received from the doctor like breathing techniques and even eating (ironically) also try remove your mind from the situation and try take an external viewpoint of the situation and judge it, use factors such as intensity of what you are feeling now as apposed to the last time you were sick and try asses if you there is any hard evidence which would increase the likeliness of you being sick. i find that trying to talk myself out of it and continually telling myself i am being irrational really helps. also friends and family can offer allot of support and reassurance.

i find anxiety i completely mental, i suggest the next time you become anxious about something whether it be being sick or something irrelevant try the aforementioned tips and hopefully they can help.

Also i am unsure as to what you mean by "CBT"

Harry

Hi,

im am so much like you it's crazy. I'm 18 years of age and find that my emetophobia is causing the same sypmptoms as you I.e burping constantly, flatuelence, nausea etc. i too have suffered emet for a long time but like you disappeared throughout ,y high schooling years. 15/16/17 years of age. I recently have moved from home - away from my family and friends and I have felt constantly ill for a while now. Like you, I used to hang out with my friends all the time, love life, love sport and love interacting with everybody but now my emet. Has taken over I'm always bailing out of plans with my friends, actually not playing sport because I'm afraid that I will get sick if I over exert myself (and I absolutely love sport so this is how bad it has become), avoid drinking with mates, and find myself sitting on the lounge watching the footy on a Saturday night all by myself whilst everyone is out partying!

Not only is emet. Making my health deteriorate but my social life also. I also try to avoid situations where I've gotten sick before for example a nu,bee of times I have felt sick or gotten sick in the lounge room. When I think about this and I'm laying down I then start to panic and think what if it happens again? I then work myself up so much I feel like I'm going to vomit anyway. It's pretty bad!! Try taking deep breaths for 15 minutes and lying still and thinking its only in your head! It helps me sometimes! Please let me know if anything help. GOodluck.

regards

Thank you all for your kind words! I actually bought a book yesterday- it's an anxiety/phobia workbook, haven't had the opportunity to go through it yet but it looks helpful! I'm really anxious about an event thats going to happen soon, and I have to go, so I will try all the suggestions you guys gave me

I too am very much like you! I'm 18 and have/had terrible emet! I had it initially a few years ago and mine has a very long complicated story of it progression, but I was found to have an over-active thyroid which did not help my anxiety! But for the past few years my anxiety based around emetophobia has been almost seasonal! I have seemed to be very bad around Spring/Summer time while being pretty normal in Autumn/Winter! I have recently undergone CBT and have found it a massive help! I have learnt some great techniques to calm myself down when I'm anxious about being ill or in general! Tbh, I didn't even seem to get to the underlying cause like you're supposed to, but I think just talking it out with someone has had a huge effect! Also I am currently on Sertraline which is a slow acting anti-depressant that helps with anxiety! It's not addictive beciuse it doesn't have an instant effect! Might be worth talking through some of these kinds of medicines with your doctor? Also the aches and pains etc are perfectly normal, at least for someone with constant anxiety! Every single night I would spend awake at night, begging my Mum to sit with me or take me to an emergency doctor, crying & pacing etc! All because I'd have a stomach ache or felt sick in my throat! Don't worry about feeling like a baby, its the anxiety not you! If you want anyone to talk to you'll have to let me know and I can give you my fb or email Sometimes just chatting about it all can make you feel better! Hope you feel better about it all soon