Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Looking For Honest Opinions!

Every summer I get anxious about rotavirus. As some of you know, I am WAY more anxious about my boys having a sv* than me. My oldest had rota when he was a baby, it was AWFUL (for me, not him) and I hated every moment of it. I don't like the idea of them being ill, but the fact that rotavirus lasts for days on end terrifies me. Here's my question that I want HONEST answers to. My youngest son will be 4 in September. He's had bugs (3 or 4) in which he's v*. In fact, when he was a little over a year he had a bug where he would wake up to v* for a few days, didn't each much, etc. The thing is, my oldest never had the 'terrible d*' that everyone talks about but was actually diagnosed. Now my youngest hasn't either. Do you think he's already had it or is this something that's 'looming'? I didn't know about the vaccine and for some reason my pediatrician doesn't give the rotavirus vac. Is this something that I can assume he's had and relax a bit, or should I 'be ready' for it this coming fall/winter? I know it sounds silly, thanks SO MUCH for those that read this and take the time to reply!

Default Re: Looking For Honest Opinions!

Rotavirus is extremely contagious and the thing is normal household chemicals and hand washing does not destroy the virus. Therefore if you son had Rotavirus when he was a baby there is a very good chance you caught the virus too. As you mentioned that you didn't feel ill, that means that you are immune to the virus. If you have had Rotavirus (and 95% of people have had it - meaning its likely you had it before), your immune system creates antibodies against it and you cannot catch it. I would probably say that there is a 99% chance you are immune to this virus. Also If you do catch it, many adults usually have diarreah rather than vomiting, due to the virus replicating lower down in the small intestines than other viruses.

Thanks so much for the reply, I actually know that I am fine and am certain that I had it many times as a child. My concern is about my youngest son, who's almost 4. Do you think he's already had the virus? He's had v* episodes (where it was continuous, obviously a virus and not just a flukey thing) about 4 times. I just want to know if it should be assumed he's already been exposed at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Thanks so much for the reply, I actually know that I am fine and am certain that I had it many times as a child. My concern is about my youngest son, who's almost 4. Do you think he's already had the virus? He's had v* episodes (where it was continuous, obviously a virus and not just a flukey thing) about 4 times. I just want to know if it should be assumed he's already been exposed at his age.
    If your son has had vomiting between 24-48 hours and diarreah that lasted more than 3 days, then I would be almost certain he has been infected with Rotavirus. However even if he hasn't Rotavirus in children is relatively mild, you just need to ensure they get plenty to drink and feed him if he wants feeding etc. Otherwise you could speak to your doctor about getting the Rotavirus vaccination. As it is generally mild anyways, most doctors believe it best not to go down the vaccination route as the vaccination side effects can be worse than actually getting the illness.

My son has never had d*, but neither has my oldest. My oldest had days of v* but no d* with a fever and was actually diagnosed based on a stool sample. Given how common it is I guess it's safe to say that one of the episodes of v* was rota? Is it a safe bet you think?