Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default My son is 5 hours away at camp and I am sooo anxious! Help, advice??

Hi Everyone,

My 11 year old son is at his first sleep away camp. Anyone every hear of Camp Woodward in PA? It's a sports camp and he is going there for BMX biking. We just dropped him yesterday for a week. It's huge and seems really nice with tons of ramps to ride on, it's in the middle of PA, farms, Amish, as far as the eye could see.

Anyway, he seems fine but I am quite nervous. I am worrying, not so much about him hurting himself or breaking a bone, but...you guessed it, him getting sick!!! (idiotic phobia!!). He will be pretty much on his own, and they have great food there, but I am afraid he will be eating wayyyy too much junk food. I try to keep us fairly healthy here so he will enjoy eating the forbidden foods there. Also, I am worried that he will be drinking energy drinks. Red Bull is a sponsor there so it is everywhere. I told him never to drink those as they are dangerous. He understood and said he wouldn't but....

I know that I need to relax and LET GO. Control is one of my biggest problems. But I am so afraid if he's sick and by himself, kind of. And then the selfish part of me says that if he's sick there, I won't have to deal with it. It's so hard when it's your kids and you have to let them go, trust that they know their own bodies, hunger, etc. UGH! I really don't want to worry all week. We are thinking of calling him tonight just to see if he's okay and he likes it. Maybe that will make me feel better. Moms?? How did you survive your kids' camp???

Cool Re: My son is 5 hours away at camp and I am sooo anxious! Help, advice??

HUGS. He is growing up You can do this. It is important for his growth and development to be on his own and start handling things himself. We can not be around our kids 24/7 and one day will come when we cannot be there at all. You have taught him well. Now is his time to assert some independence and fly on his own. I have mixed feelings about my kids growing up too. I want them to stay my little babies, but know i have to let go some day.

Try to enjoy the time away from your son and do things you were not able to do when he was home. Try to have fun and keep your cell phone on so you are always avail.

I bet he will have a total blast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Default Re: My son is 5 hours away at camp and I am sooo anxious! Help, advice??

I know exactly how you feel... I get the same way with my daughter.. So many times I have to force myself to let her go places and eat what she wants!! Hang in there!! Ur son will be fine!!!!

Xxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    HUGS. He is growing up You can do this. It is important for his growth and development to be on his own and start handling things himself. We can not be around our kids 24/7 and one day will come when we cannot be there at all. You have taught him well. Now is his time to assert some independence and fly on his own. I have mixed feelings about my kids growing up too. I want them to stay my little babies, but know i have to let go some day.

Try to enjoy the time away from your son and do things you were not able to do when he was home. Try to have fun and keep your cell phone on so you are always avail.

I bet he will have a total blast.

Default Re: My son is 5 hours away at camp and I am sooo anxious! Help, advice??

My daughter was about the same age when she went away for a week her first gymnastics camp. Trust me, we are much more worried about them than they are . Try to remember that it's during these times that they really are having the time of their lives. He is spending the week focused on something he is passionate about with a bunch of kids his age and is probably learning tons of stuff from the older kids and instructors-he's having a blast
    As for the bad diet and Red Bull, all you can do is hope that the good habits he's been taught will win out.
    Hang in there, Mom!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I have been thinking about this lately... My daughter is not even 4 yet, so no camps or anything, but seeing her at vacation Bible school a few weeks ago made me so nervous for her. I know that sounds crazy, but she's in the middle of hundreds of kids, singing and dancing and having a blast... And I was nervous. I think that I have to realize that situations that would make ME uncomfortable (because of emet / anxiety, mostly), are really enjoyable for her. I would have been a nervous wreck as a child to be in that huge group that was so loud and so... Chaotic... But, she's not me. I went to camp once and HATED IT. Had to leave due to-/ you guessed it... Stomach ache. It was a "defining emet moment" for me (I guess I was 7?), and, like, half of the campers (was Girl Scout camp) got sick with v. I never did, but I was so anxious and homesick, I left as soon as I could. I couldn't imagine anyone LIKING an organized camp like that, but I forget sometimes that I'm not exactly "normal," lol. So, what I'm trying to say is, I completely understand how you would feel that way. Even non-emet moms get nervous & anxious when their kids are away. I bet, though, that your son is having a blast. He's probably having too much fun to worry . Try to enjoy a "mommy break"
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Thanks soooo much everyone!! I know deep down that everything you are saying is true, but you know how anxiety works. No rhyme or reason. I did hear from him last night (at 10:15pm!!) and he said he likes it and is fine. Wearing his sunblock and drinking enough water, ha ha. I know he is loving it and it's wonderful for independence, self esteem, etc. I will try each day to worry less and less... (God help me!! ).

I went to tons of camps as a kid and other than being a little on the filthy side and sleep deprived, I had a blast and no one ever got even a tiny bit sick. I admire you for letting him go. I haven't been able actually part with my 10 year old *baby* for even an overnight. I would just miss her so much and like you worry about what she was eating, would she get sick, would the other parents be able to handle a child with autism, etc.

Your son is having the time of his life which is how you want it. You'd really hate it if he came home crying and begging never to go back again. *hugs* I know it's tough being separated from your baby.

Thank you Grace...Well, it's Wednesday and I am dying to hear from him again. I just read about a family suing the Monster company (second one) because their teenager died drinking it. I really cannot believe how much anxiety has run my life for soooo long and how it latches onto anything it can, like this story. I thank God every day that somehow my kids seem free of this disorder. Will keep you all posted.

Update!! He is now home again, YAY! He had a wonderful time and already wants to go back next year. Stayed safe, no Red Bull either. However, let's just say he had a great time eating too. Anything bad, quick, easy, maybe a banana or two the entire time. So I am definitely not happy with that. But he was fine the whole time!! . Gosh, I need to learn to chill out and LET GO!!! Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I'm glad you survived and handled the whole thing really well and he had a great time. I figured he was living it up kid style. LOL!