Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Talking Advice? Going to the beach!

I'm going to the beach on saturday, but I need some help.

It's about a 2 hour drive there... I don't get car sick, but I do sometimes get nauseated on long drives. I can take my Promethazine 60-90 minutes before to stop that, but it's going to be HOT that day and Promethazine reduces your bodies ability to cool down in hot weather. I will be in the water, but I need some advice on long drives,
    Oo
    and... My sleep schedule is messed up. I'm going to sleep at 12pm and waking up at 10pm. I leave saturday morning at 7:30 and come back at 4pm. I'll be nauseated from lack of sleep, but taking Promethazine against will mess up my hypothalamus. (That and I haven't been to the bathroom in 5 days will nauseate me)

What should I do? I want to have fun this summer and try to ignore my nausea and fear.

Default Re: Advice? Going to the beach!

sounds like you are taking way too much promethazine.....I truly don't know how you are able to function with the amount you take. a 1/2 pill knocks me out for a day. the constipation is from taking that med also.....you really should ease up on taking it. I would think for a car ride that might give you some motion sickness that Dramamine would do the trick......but not sure I would take it along with the Phenergan. as far as lack of sleep.....I find that the less I sleep the better I feel.....I get about 5 or 6 hours a nite.....if I sleep longer I tend to feel "hungover-ish" the next day. if you want to enjoy the summer you need to try and do some things out of your comfort zone without over medicating.....save the Phenergan for when it's truly needed.......which i'm sure you will find out is not very often.....you will feel much better without it......have fun at the beach......you'll have lots of distractions to keep that emet away...
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I tend to agree with Olschesky about the phenegran being part of your problem. It's a great drug when you are really sick. Like anything else it's not 100% guaranteed to prevent you from v*ing but it has saved me and many others here. It's not good to take it more than you need to. It won't kill you, but it is known to increase dehydration and to cause constipation. It also causes extreme drowsiness at higher doses. I can function pretty well wit 12.5-25mg but beyond that I tend to be pretty drowsy. The best thing for going to the beach would be to drink plenty of water and try not to get too sunburned. As for the ride to the coast, if you don't get carsick, the best thing would be not to worry about it, the second best thing would be a moderate dose of dramamine 50-100mg which probably won't bother you much since you're used to promethazine, but still you'll need to drink more fluids to avoid getting dehydrated and possibly nauseated. Try and get a little more sleep before your trip or to sleep in the car. I wish you the best of luck, this should be a fun time for you.

I went to the beach a couple weeks ago, and while I was a little worried about getting sunstroke or some other horrible malady, lol, i was just fine. I took Dramamine in the morning just in case, and put sunscreen on every 2 hours and I was perfectly fine. Cut back on the Phenergan, and drink lots of water, keep up with the sunscreen and you should be fine Have fun!
    M I D N I G H T

I'd try reducing the dose of Prometh and adding another anti-emetic like ginger root (which is specifically useful for motion sickness). It helps if I sit in the front seat where I can see out the front window at all times. Reading in the car makes me terribly dizzy. Drink plenty of water, as even mild dehydration can cause dizziness/nausea. Eat bland foods and try your best to get some sleep.

Have fun!

I'm on 25mg pills but I don't feel tired from taking them. I've been on them for 2 years so that might have a reason? I'm the exact opposite from you Olschesky. If I get anything below 8-10 hours, I feel like there is a volcano in my stomach. Somedays, 10 gives me headaches lol

Jkl81: It's gonna sound stupid but you kinda scared me with the "doesn't work everytime" thing haha. I know it doesn't, which is why I always double up on the pills haha.

I don't think I can or will be able to stop the promethazine. I kinda built a mental dependency on it and I'm in a loop: Constipation, nausea from constipation, more pills, more constipation. I had Idiopathic Nausea issues before my Constipation so I really can't just stop unfortunately.

I heard Promethazine was good for motion sickness? I don't get motion sickness, but... funny story?

I was spinning around in an office chair with my head tilted back. My stomach felt the weirdest nausea I've ever felt before and it was death to me haha. From that day, I'm afraid of motion sickness lol

I has a lot of Gatorades so I should be fine with drinking~

Thanks for the advice guys! i'll look into the ginger root as well~

Quote Originally Posted by SoVerySorry View Post

Jkl81: It's gonna sound stupid but you kinda scared me with the "doesn't work everytime" thing haha. I know it doesn't, which is why I always double up on the pills haha.

I don't think I can or will be able to stop the promethazine. I kinda built a mental dependency on it and I'm in a loop: Constipation, nausea from constipation, more pills, more constipation. I had Idiopathic Nausea issues before my Constipation so I really can't just stop unfortunately.
    This is very concerning. You absolutely are more than capable of stopping the amount of promethazine you take right down to not taking any at all if you give yourself the chance to get your system back to normal. The REAL problem is that you don't want to. Your posts always revolve around you taking way too much of this stuff, and doubling/tripling/quadrupling up on pills won't make it "work better". It clearly makes things worse. I really think you need help with this issue outside IES. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it has to be said.

I agree with the above post....

Also, my best advice would be to calm down a little, ma'am I know it's not EASY..But if u wanna enjoy your time out, u need to chill your mind. Don't depend on med. Just have fun!! The more you overthink everything, the more you are gonna freak yourself out.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

You're right JadeNight (and not the first one to say it haha), and I do see a psychiatrist, but he said he is kinda at a lost with me. For now, I'm just trying to increase the quality of living as my Psych and Gastroenterologist find some stuff for me. (as long as it doesn't involve anymore mental addiction stuffs).

Valen: Definitely! I'm charging my phone so I can ignore the long 1-2 hour drive. I don't get car sick, more or less heat sick from long drives, so if I talk to my friends or play Battle Cats, I should be okay for the drive!

If I can start "ignoring" my phobia, that should stop my anxiety, or begin to stop my anxiety of vomiting