Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Curious question

I only have 1 friend who suffers from emet. I have noticed that I do not have anxiety or nervous feelings when I am around him versus my other friends. I guess it could be because of the common understanding of the phobia. I wish I could be around other people so comfortably. Does anyone else feel this way? I know this sounds rude towards my other friends, but it's almost as if I trust him more or something. Like I trust that he will wash his hands before cooking, and will not come around me if he ha been sick, or exposed. I trust that he will wash his hands after using my bathroom etc... It's amazing how relaxed I am just hangin out with him, and how I can be so on edge around other people. He experiences nausea all the time (true to form for people like us), but I'm never afraid when he feels bad near me.

Default Re: Curious question

I don't know anyone else that is an emet. I know some people that don't like to V but not like us emets fear it. I would love to hang out with more people that understand this bc I would probably feel more relaxed too. Its good that you have this friend around. This site and chat are great for coping and getting advice but it would be great to have someone in person to talk to.

That makes complete sense to me. I don't know anyone that is emet (at least that I know of-- have suspicions of one of my friends), but I would definitely feel better about eating their cooking, etc. We just tend to be more hygienic, overall. The only bad part would be if the 2 of you had a panic attack at the same time .
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

That makes total sense. I'd like to know someone else like me in person too. However, my fiance isn't emet but he does struggle with compulsive behaviours regarding hand washing so I feel really comfortable around him. I say that like it's a great thing, although I do wish that he didn't have to suffer with his OCD. I'm lucky to be with someone who really understands what not to say or do too. Although it still would be nice to know someone with the same problem as me.